Connection speed vs. sent notify (solved)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Grumpus

Connection speed vs. sent notify (solved)

Post by Grumpus »

I'm guessing here but it seems the speed of my connection does not allow the small panel popup which used to verify a sent email.
First, does the pop up still exist?
Second, if it does is there an item in the config editor which allows a pause or slow down for view.
Emails are sent as singles.

Also I seem to be having drafts deleted when there are none when writing in the on-line state.
Is this due to the length of time it takes me to compose, thinking it is the reason; guessing?
Last edited by Grumpus on October 3rd, 2018, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
tanstaafl

Re: Connection speed vs. sent notify

Post by tanstaafl »

Version 60.0 still has a popup with a progress bar. It exists while the message is being sent to the smtp server. Then its closed. A slow connection should make the progress bar visible longer.

I'm not aware of a setting which will keep that progress bar open for a while afterwards, or until you press a button/click a widget. There is a download status bar add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ar/?src=ss but I'm not aware of a status bar add-on to show send progress.

If the send fails you should get an error message unless its hidden by a error message about the upload via IMAP to a remote send folder failed. Some smtp servers will return success as soon as the message has successfully been submitted for sending, others won't return until its successfully sent the message. Perhaps you need to use a different accounts smtp server with that account. Some email providers provide an option where you can have the smtp server automatically save a copy of the sent message when sending via a email client, rather than having the email client upload it via IMAP. This would cut the number of bytes you send in half. I'm used to seeing this managed via webmail commands using a browser, where you specify it for a specific personality (From address).

The default setting for auto-saving a draft is 5 minutes. I don't understand how "having drafts deleted when there are none" can occur. Did you mean if there was only one draft it got deleted when you sent the message?
Grumpus

Re: Connection speed vs. sent notify

Post by Grumpus »

@tanstaafl - Thank You.
On the sent notification - Thanks, I think it's the speed as the sent email appears in the right folder.
Auto save is set to 10 minutes so copies shouldn't be making their way to drafts normally.
The deletions of drafts, several at a time, has occurred a couple of times.
In review I may have written offline and sent later which could have caused this but I can't recall.
Several large emails with pictures preceded the events and maybe the drafts stayed around for a while.
I don't recall seeing them in the folder which are checked when in use.
Hasn't happened in the past week or so, I asked as it seemed peculiar at the time.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you