Question about Thunderbird behavior with IMAP sent folders

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
tomdkat

Question about Thunderbird behavior with IMAP sent folders

Post by tomdkat »

Hi! I'm currently researching an issue where sent mail isn't appearing in the "Sent" folder. This is for an email account accessed via IMAP. The person in question uses Outlook 2016 and Thunderbird 60 to access the same email account and both applications access that account via IMAP. I've skimmed various threads about Outlook, but I wanted to ask this question about Thunderbird:

If Thunderbird can't determine what the IMAP "Sent" folder is (for whatever reason), what will it do with messages that are sent? Will they simply "disappear" or will they be saved in a local folder?

Thanks in advance!
tanstaafl

Re: Question about Thunderbird behavior with IMAP sent folde

Post by tanstaafl »

If the sent folder specified in copies & folders doesn't exist Thunderbird won't create it, won't save a copy of the sent message and should display an error message. If this occurs, figure out what sent folder is used by webmail and specify it in copies & folders. Sent, sent mail and sent items seen to be the most common folder used for saving your copy of a sent message.

A different sent folder can be specified in a multiple identity. If you choose a multiple identity for the From: address you need to check that identity's settings, not the accounts settings. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_iden ... il_account
tomdkat

Re: Question about Thunderbird behavior with IMAP sent folde

Post by tomdkat »

Perfect! This is just the kind of information I was looking for. Thank You very much!