Transfer of Outlook Express Emails to Thunderbird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
john bull

Transfer of Outlook Express Emails to Thunderbird

Post by john bull »

I have just got a new PC using Win 10 after 14 years with Win XP.

Having transferred the OE email address book from XP successfully to my Win 10 Thunderbird, I want to transfer the OE emails. I have no clue how to do it, having tried many ways.
I am using a Flash Drive for all such transfers.

Question ?
I need the precise path of the OE emails file on my Win XP Thunderbird to locate and`download onto my Flash Drive.
Then I need the precise path of the Win 10 Thunderbird file to drag and drop my downloaded data to.

I want the OE emails to appear in my Win 10 Thunderbird the same as they would with standard Thunderbird import.

Many of the program facilities on my XP are frozen or locked, so using a Flash Drive is the only way I can transfer data from my XP to Win 10.
UTRINQUE PARATUS
DanRaisch

Re: Transfer of Outlook Express Emails to Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

See if the guidance here is helpful -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_O ... ternatives
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you were using IMAP accounts in Outlook Express you could just add the corresponding IMAP accounts in Thunderbird rather than trying to migrate the mail via a flash drive.

If you want to stick with the flash drive approach I recommend exporting them as .eml files and using the ImportExportTools add-on in Thunderbird to import them. The add-on can import all of the .eml files in a directory and its child directories in one step. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders for how to get and install the add-on
john bull

Post by john bull »

Problem solved.
Downloaded XP Thunderbird Profile onto flash drive.
Installed https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... porttools/ onto Win 10 Thunderbird.
Created file on desktop named XP Emails.
Dragged and dropped Flash Drive XP profile onto this file.
Used the addon ImportExportTools to import the XP profile into Thunderbird.
XP Profile used was Profiles>tpvmatxp.default.
New Thunderbird profile name given as XP Emails.
This new profile was added to Profile Manager by the addon. Profile Manager can be obtained by Run>enter thunderbird.exe -p.
All done.
Profile Manager can be placed as a shortcut on the desktop for conveniently switching profiles.
Thunderbird must be closed to use Profile Manager.

The new Profile now opens with a display identical to the XP Thunderbird containing all emails and including OE imports.
My XP computer is now redundant and ready for scrapping.
UTRINQUE PARATUS