cardbook versus the addressbook

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
fibrolan

cardbook versus the addressbook

Post by fibrolan »

Hi

Is there an advantage to using cardbook over the addressbook. I tried cardbook but it seems that names I have in the address book some will not show up under the cardbook. I have tried to sync but still not. How to I get all the names to show up and again what advantages are there and it is that much better ? Are there other alternatives ?

Robert
tanstaafl

Re: cardbook versus the addressbook

Post by tanstaafl »

The CardBook supports using CardDAV to access remote address books. It also supports the vCard standard if you ever need to import them. The MoreFunctionsFromAddressBooks is the only other Thunderbird add-on I'm aware of that adds support for vCards.

The consensus seems to be that CardBook is better than the SoGo Connector add-on (for CardDAV support). I've used SyncKolab before and it worked fine, but I've seen friends and family confused by the way it works. It's web page says its still actively developed, but even the latest nightly build of it is 3 years old. I'd avoid it.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_address_books for some other ways to share address books.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

thanks for the reply. So do you recommend Card book over the built in address book ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Nope. But my needs are minimal since I stopped using remote address books. The MoreFunctionsForAddressBooks add-on lets you specify for each identity or account what address book(s) to use for auto-complete. Some users find that very useful. I don't remember whether that will work with CardBook also installed or not.

I've periodically read in the tb-planning mailing list suggestions by developers that they should integrate CardBook into Thunderbird someday. No idea when, if it ever does occur.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

thanks for the reply. address book is good enough for me. I just wanted to see a different layout of the information so it is easier to look at. As well some of the tabs like the chat tab I would love to see it configurable so i can change some of the presets to other chat programs. otherwise it works nicely.
poleta33

Post by poleta33 »

just to complete the tanstaafl answer : if you need to sync your contacts between all the mobiles of your family (iCloud and Samsung), if you need to clean your duplicates, if you want to have an unlimited number of emails, adresses, custom fields, CardBook is your friend ;O)