Syncing

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Nikilet

Syncing

Post by Nikilet »

My TBird account is synced between my laptop and desktop, except ...

When I right click on an email and select "Tag" ... why don't my tag setups sync between the two computers?
DanRaisch

Re: Syncing

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird on each machine, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird tries to store tags on the server using "IMAP keywords". If the IMAP server doesn't support that it will store lags locally in the .msf file for the folder. That means that another PC can not see the labels.

My impressions is that the IMAP mail servers used by the most popular free email providers support IMAP keywords. However, the IMAP mail server your ISP uses might not.

Another possibility is that your IMAP server supports that feature, but you are using custom tags in those messages, and didn't define the tags identically on each PC.
Nikilet

Post by Nikilet »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird on each machine, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
It's IMAP on both machines.
Nikilet

Post by Nikilet »

tanstaafl wrote:Thunderbird tries to store tags on the server using "IMAP keywords". If the IMAP server doesn't support that it will store lags locally in the .msf file for the folder. That means that another PC can not see the labels.

My impressions is that the IMAP mail servers used by the most popular free email providers support IMAP keywords. However, the IMAP mail server your ISP uses might not.

Another possibility is that your IMAP server supports that feature, but you are using custom tags in those messages, and didn't define the tags identically on each PC.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say I might be using custom tags in those messages. When one sets up a tag, that would make them always, all custom tags, wouldn't it?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"When one sets up a tag, that would make them always, all custom tags, wouldn't it?"

There are some predefined tags (important, work, personal, to do, later). If you use them you can assume anybody using Thunderbird can see them. Any additional tags are custom tags that you created that the other configuration has no knowledge of unless they are also defined in that configurations settings. For example I created a condo tag. By definition its a custom tag. I usually assign that to messages I get from the condo management to make them easier to find. If I accessed that IMAP account using Thunderbird on another PC I wouldn't see that condo tag but could see any work, personal etc. tags. UNLESS I also defined that condo tag on that PC.
Nikilet

Post by Nikilet »

OK, I get it. I made sure that both computers have the same Tag labels/colors, so will see what happens. Thanks!