Thunderbird and MSGTAG

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
john bull

Thunderbird and MSGTAG

Post by john bull »

PLEASE refrain from posting about the ethics of email tracking. This thread is purely technical.

I have used MSGTAG on my XP Outlook Express email consistently and with great success for 12 years.
Having recently acquired a new PC with Win 10, I have now made Thunderbird my default email.
I have kept the same email address on my Win 10 Thunderbird as on my XP OE and Thunderbird, so my MSGTAG
account should not be affected.

Problem ?
I have read all the MSGTAG and other web information in detail and cannot really find any of it
saying specifically that MSGTAG is compatible with Win 10.

Question ?
Have any of you got MSGTAG working successfully with Thunderbird on Win 10 ?
If so how precisely did you do it ?
Just altering the server and port sounds too easy.
UTRINQUE PARATUS
john bull

Re: Thunderbird and MSGTAG

Post by john bull »

My accounts SMTP page is -

I filled in the MSGTAG form as -

MSGTAG say settings should be -

There is no mention of port 465 on the Thunderbird account pages and no means of adding port 7362.
All I can do is add Server 127.0.0.1 to the Outgoing Server SMTP settings as a default Server alternative and hope
the "Details of selected server" states Server 127.0.0.1 and port 7362 in the written script.

But I have no wish to wreck my Thunderbird account with experimentation.
It looks like all I have to do to make MSGTAG fly is enter server 127.0.0.1 as default server.
Well ! THAT does not work. Tried it with no luck.
UTRINQUE PARATUS
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"There is no mention of port 465 on the Thunderbird account pages and no means of adding port 7362."

If you use MSGTAG as a proxy server I'd set the SMTP mail server to 127.0.0.1, the port to 7362, no connection security, and SMTP authentication needed in the accounts virgin media SMTP server settings in Thunderbird. It looks like you already configured the proxy server to use the virgin media smtp server via port 465 by filling in the form. The only issue seems to be how does it get the virgin media password. Perhaps it will prompt for it when needed.

Thunderbird connects to the proxy server (part of the MSGTAG software you installed on your PC) which probably embeds some image that it uses for tracking, and then makes a connection to the virginmedia SMTP server to send the message.

You needed to specify port 7362 in the virginmedia smtp server settings since there could be more than one proxy server installed on your PC. Port 7362 makes certain that your virginmedia account connects to the MSGTAG proxy server when it sends a message.

If you're afraid you would mess things up you could create a new smtp server entry with the necessary settings and configure your POP/IMAP account to use it instead of modifying and using the existing smtp server setting.
john bull

Post by john bull »

SOLVED !

Having tried just about everything possible to get MSGTAG to work on my Win 10 Thunderbird, it is simply not possible.

Verdict - MSGTAG is not compatible with Windows 10.

Users who have Win 10 are wasting their time with MSGTAG - it will NOT work.

MSGTAG are either out of business or well on their way to it. There is no longer any support and contact is impossible.
UTRINQUE PARATUS
FFman

Post by FFman »

I know this is strictly off topic but ...
I have been using MSGTAG successfully with Thunderbird and Windows 7 for many years.
It has now stopped working for about 4 or 5 days.
The MSGTAG website is inaccessible and there is no reply from the support email address.
I guess MSGTAG is kaput.