Two Different Signatures For Same Email Account

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
JYLD

Two Different Signatures For Same Email Account

Post by JYLD »

I have an html signature for business that includes a logo and complex formatting. The logo and one other line in my signature are also links to my website.

Every now and then I have someone I need to email with whose IT department blocks all incoming emails that have links in them. Even a URL that is listed in text and is not actually a clickable link at all can be blocked.

For these "special" people I have created an alternate html signature that looks the same as my main signature but has the links removed.

It can be a pain however to erase the standard signature lines and paste in the alternate signature lines. For this I have found a solution that works great for me, and doesn't require an addon.

Using Account Settings I created a dummy email account. The dummy email account uses the same email address and name as my main account. My main account is an IMAP connection. For the dummy account select a POP3 connection. Don't give the dummy account the password to login during setup. Have the dummy account use the same SMTP configuration that is used for my main account for sending mail. Since my main account SMTP is my default SMTP, I just made sure that the dummy account was set to use the default SMTP server.

Next go through the settings and tell the dummy account to never check for mail and to never delete anything from the server. Set the copies & folders settings to make sure sent mail from the dummy account goes to the Sent mail folder for the main account, etc.

Set the dummy account to use the alternate html signature lines.

Now when I compose a message, I can select from the drop down list in the compose window the alternate html signature line. Boom, the alternate html signature replaces the standard one. And the really good part is you can switch back and forth between signatures at any time. Before you write the message or reply or after you've written the message or reply.

Works great for me and my purposes. Just thought I would share.
DanRaisch

Re: Two Different Signatures For Same Email Account

Post by DanRaisch »

Or you might use an extension like Signature Switch -- https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... re-switch/
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

DanRaisch wrote:Or you might use an extension like Signature Switch -- https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... re-switch/
Yes that's true. I don't know the feature set of Signature Switch, and it may have other features the dummy account method doesn't provide. However, the dummy account method for me does everything I need, and I find not requiring an addon to be a feature since it won't stop working with TB upgrades in the future. Does Signature Switch work with 68+ for example?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The extension site page says "Works with Thunderbird 61.0 - *" which means version 61 and higher, until something in TB changes and causes issues.
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Perhaps I'll look at it. Thank you.