Which profile

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
cma6

Which profile

Post by cma6 »

In \appdata\etc\ I find one profile xyzxyzetc which I want to delete because it may be infected.
But when I go into profile manager, it shows only a profile named "default" which I renamed as abcabc.
Why is only one profile in the \appdata\etc\ subfolder with a different name from the one shown by Tbird Profile Manager?
Thanks, CMA
DanRaisch

Re: Which profile

Post by DanRaisch »

Try menu path Help->Troubleshooting Information->Profile Folder->click on "Open Folder". That will show you the profile that is currently in use. If you then move up one directory level (AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles) you will see all of the profiles that exist.

What makes you think that profile may be infected?
cma6

Re: Which profile

Post by cma6 »

The profile in use is "xyzxyzetc.default" , the only profile that Tbird sees.
Yet Tbird Profile Manager shows only one profile, "abcabc.default" In Profile Manager, I had just renamed "default" to "abcabc". Could it be that the profile "xyzxyzetc" was reported by Profile Manager as "default"; and that my renaming it did so only in Profile Manager but not in Windows?

A malware scan had shown xyzxyzetc as containing a Trojan in the "archive xyzxyzetc in "message #197 in the Inbox folder". I used the malware scanner to delete the malware. Subsequent scans show no malware. The odd thing was there were only 4 messages shown in the Inbox at the time. The Profile seems intact. I wonder if a malware scanner is smart enough to delete only 1 message in a folder?