Ad Blocker for Thunderbird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
darkeforce

Ad Blocker for Thunderbird

Post by darkeforce »

Is there an actual working ad-blocker extension for Thunderbird 68.6.0? Thunderbird has been firing out updates rapid fire, far faster than Extension Developers could keep up with, and a lot of them have given up in frustration at the Thunderbird Development Team not taking the time — unpaid volunteer time — they need to adapt their addons to the new builds before yet another one comes out, possibly making all their updating efforts for vain.

The Thunderbird Development Team callously claims that Addon Developers are responsible for keeping up with updates, but they fail to take their own actions into account and how they've made developing and updating addons for Thunderbirds a very hostile environment.

Are there any that currently work? A lot of mailing lists include ads in their mailings. They're not necessarily dangerous, but they can take up large parts of the top of such emails, adding the inconvenience of needed to scroll down before you can even see the body of the email.

Or does anyone know of any universal ad blockers that work with Thunderbird without requiring it to be activated for Firefox as well. I was using Privoxy, but that turned out to be too much of a pain in the ass due to it's steep learning curve and heavy-handed autofilters.
jcostello

Re: Ad Blocker for Thunderbird

Post by jcostello »

Ublock Origin, get the Thunderbird version from here

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
darkeforce

Post by darkeforce »

Thank you so much :)
darkeforce

Post by darkeforce »

jcostello wrote:Ublock Origin, get the Thunderbird version from here

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
Thank-you again. I've installed it, but I can't get it to start filtering. I've got it turned on from the flydown menu when you click the icon, but I can't find any way to add individual ads to blocking. The context menu option to block elements like image ads doesn't appear at all in the right-click menu, adding image URLs to "My Filters" manually does nothing, and it won't even detect ads that are present in emails.

Additionally, I can't find any sort of Element Blocker/Zapper button on the flyopen interface for uBlockOrigin for Thunderbird

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thunderbird 68.8.0 64-bit
uBlock 1.25.3.9
Win10 Home

Additional:

The issue seems to be that uBlockOrigin simply won't activate on Thunderbird 68.8.0. The button on the flyopen menu might say that it's on, but there is no filtering or add-detections being done, and when I actually open an email with ads I want to block, the toolbar button is lit up, suggesting that it's working, but when I click the icon, the flydown shows it turned off; the big power icon is gray. Clicking it will turn it blue for about 2 seconds, then it goes gray again.

It does that even when there are no other addons active at the same time; all disabled in addons manager.

Is there some sort of setting I need to set in Thunderbird 68.8.0's options just to get it to work?
jcostello

Post by jcostello »

Yes, only the filter lists and the drop-down are working here. No "My Filters" and no element picker. At this state of developement it seems Thunderbird is both to old and to new for Ublock Origin to work at 100%. For UB not working at all, deinstalling and reinstalling worked once for me.

I don‘t know what kind of mailing lists you are using but blocking all remote content in emails is not an option?
darkeforce

Post by darkeforce »

jcostello wrote:Yes, only the filter lists and the drop-down are working here. No "My Filters" and no element picker. At this state of developement it seems Thunderbird is both to old and to new for Ublock Origin to work at 100%. For UB not working at all, deinstalling and reinstalling worked once for me.

I don‘t know what kind of mailing lists you are using but blocking all remote content in emails is not an option?
No blocking all remote content isn't an option because those mailing lists are all about various media

Unfortunately, then, UBO seems like it will be yet another failed attempt to block ads on Thunderbird. The Thunderbird Development Team doesn't give a shit about how their reckless rapid update release schedule affects addons creators, so I guess it's not going to get better any time soon. I really don't want to go back to Privoxy, since that's using a wrecking ball to drive a finishing nail, and, as I mentioned, it has an enormous learning curve. It is not user-friendly in the least.

Does anyone know a better external ad blocker app that's better and easier to use than Privoxy?

Oh, and thanks again for all the help. I fear this post was sounding ungrateful.