MozillaZine

Copy and.....copy, and paste (is it just me?)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
TheSa|nt

Post Posted April 28th, 2020, 9:50 am

One thing I have noticed over the years with Thunderbird is when you right-click on something to copy it (Windows), and then go to paste it somewhere else. Sometimes, you find it never copied (thus you wind up pasting whatever you copied before that in your clipboard).

So let's say the last thing I copied is three words from Google. Then an hour later, I come to thunderbird and right-click on an email "from" field (within the header strip) to copy and select paste somewhere else...I might get the three words from Google. Then I have to go back to Thunderbird and copy again (and then it would work).

I didn't post this in support because it's more of a poll to see if this is just me all these years or something that has affected many. Maybe this is isolated to the systems I build and I have an odd curse? Or maybe it's a widespread bug that should end up in support eventually. Either way, I have a golden rule that if I have to ask "I wonder" more than once about something.....then go find out. :)

tanstaafl

Post Posted April 28th, 2020, 10:47 am

All of the problems I've had with copy& paste were either due to the copy silently failing because it was really a graphics image of the text that can't be copied, I hadn't selected part of the text that was not visible (needed to change how I selected the text), or something else I did (outside of Thunderbird) used the shared copy&paste buffer and I hadn't expected that side effect.

TheSa|nt

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 7:09 pm

Interesting. My issue has been one of those things where it happens for so long and saying anything about it just slides right out of your mind. I bounce into thunderbird, copy something, bounce into something else and paste....but something old pastes. I go "dangit", bounce back, copy, bounce again paste....the right thing pastes. I'd say it happens about 15-20% of the time. Enough to be annoying, even more so when I look back and ask myself why I have never said anything it yet (and wondering why it is still happening after all this time) hah

makaiguy

Post Posted May 1st, 2020, 10:39 pm

Have had a similar problem for a long time now, and not just in Mozilla products. Have gotten in habit of pressing Ctrl+C two or more times when copying and that seems to take care if it. Have never taken time to investigate cause.
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 80.0.1 (64bit), TB 68.12.0 (32-bit) ║ Android 10/7.1.1: FF Mobile 80.1.3, No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

LIMPET235

Post Posted May 2nd, 2020, 2:34 am

Hi TheSa|nt,
I use a free program called 101 Clips & have done so for years with no probs.
Maybe you should try one out & see if it works for you?

Here are 2 to try...
101 > https://101-clips.en.lo4d.com/windows
M8 > https://m8-free-multi-clipboard.en.lo4d.com/windows

They must've updated the original, because the "new" version (screen shots) don't look anything like mine.
I do have the .exe on my mediafire site if you want to try it out.
It's a h%#& of a lot smaller (4 Meg) & the UI is more compact than the new versions.
Mediafire link > http://www.mediafire.com/file/fgxnkbtbg ... s.exe/file
They only hold 25 copies...not as the 101 name suggests.

Let us know how you go.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
W.M.Y.C.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

TheSa|nt

Post Posted May 4th, 2020, 11:09 am

I am not looking to copy multiple things though. I am just looking to make sure when I copy something in Thunderbird, that it actually copies to Windows' clipboard properly and I don't have to go back and do it again.

Return to Thunderbird General