MozillaZine

do you know how to make Thunderbird window narrow?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
planalp

Post Posted July 15th, 2020, 11:52 am

Hi,
I am using thunderbird with my monitor in portrait mode. the resolution is 1050 wide x 1680 high, and that is the high limit on this old (but really good, Wacom Cintiq 20WSX) monitor. I cannot make Thunderbird narrow enough to fit on the screen – there is plenty of room to see what I need to see, but I lose the commands, toolbars, etc on the edges.
Is anyone aware of limits on the width of their Thunderbird window? of course with the monitor in landscape mode, I still cannot make Thunderbird narrow enough to be seen in portrait mode.
thanks for any help!
Roy

BuddhaNature

Post Posted July 16th, 2020, 5:55 am

Hi planalp. Welcome to the forum.

A screenshot of the problem would be helpful. As you're new to the forum you might not know how to post a screenshot; instructions are here: viewtopic.php?p=14830331#p14830331

However, taking a stab in the dark, try specifying the size of the TB window by using the program Sizer and see if that works. I don't know if that will work or not but it might be worth a try.

morat

Post Posted July 16th, 2020, 6:52 am

You can set the window properties using the error console command line.

i.e. Tools > Developer Tools > Error Console

Code: Select all
(function () {
  console.log(`screenX: ${window.screenX}, screenY: ${window.screenY}`);
  console.log(`outerWidth: ${window.outerWidth}, outerHeight: ${window.outerHeight}`);
  window.moveTo(0, 0);
  window.resizeTo(800, 600);
})();

Error Console command line
http://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Tools/Browser_Console#Browser_Console_command_line

planalp

Post Posted July 16th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. This looked really as though it would work. I have posted a screenshot though which indicates that the width is forced to 1062 despite the window.resizeTo call. Thanks in advance for any further help.

morat

Post Posted July 16th, 2020, 2:40 pm

My window is set to the following properties when I run the code snippet.

screenX: 0, screenY: 0, outerWidth: 800, outerHeight: 600

planalp

Post Posted July 16th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Aha, I read the debug notes and saw that my addon CardBook was throwing an exception when I ran the code. Disabled it and voilà ! I can make Thunderbird narrow again. Too bad although I can look for an alternate contact list manager, or ask the developer to look into it.
Thanks much for the code and incentive to dig into the bowels of Thunderbird. Thanks also to BuddhaNature for the info on posting a screenshot.
RPP

Return to Thunderbird General