MozillaZine

Thunderbird 78.0 Release

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Rabbit4
 
Posts: 949
Joined: December 27th, 2017, 4:03 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted July 16th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Thunderbird version 78.0 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as an upgrade from Thunderbird version 68 or earlier. A future release will provide updates from earlier versions

Add-on support: As of version 78.0, Thunderbird only supports MailExtensions. Your favorite add-ons may not have been updated for compatibility.

At this time, users of the Enigmail Add-on should not update to Thunderbird 78.

OpenPGP functionality for Thunderbird 78 is still work in progress, and is disabled by default in the initial 78.0 release. See the wiki for how to enable and help with testing




Download Thunderbird in your language

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/

David1949
 
Posts: 41
Joined: June 18th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Post Posted July 16th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Rabbit4 wrote:Thunderbird version 78.0 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as an upgrade from Thunderbird version 68 or earlier. A future release will provide updates from earlier versions

Add-on support: As of version 78.0, Thunderbird only supports MailExtensions. Your favorite add-ons may not have been updated for compatibility.

At this time, users of the Enigmail Add-on should not update to Thunderbird 78.

OpenPGP functionality for Thunderbird 78 is still work in progress, and is disabled by default in the initial 78.0 release. See the wiki for how to enable and help with testing




Download Thunderbird in your language

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/



Thank you for this information. Is if recommended that an update to 78.0 be installed in a new folder or can it be installed "over" in the same folder as a currently install 68.x?

Rabbit4
 
Posts: 949
Joined: December 27th, 2017, 4:03 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted July 16th, 2020, 6:32 pm

you might wanna backup your profile before you install it over the top of the current one, but i cant see why you cant install 78 over the existing one. ( the only thing they Mozilla have turned off is the auto Update )

WaltS48

User avatar
 
Posts: 4389
Joined: May 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post Posted July 17th, 2020, 7:08 am

Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

onesolo
 
Posts: 7
Joined: March 1st, 2019, 4:18 am

Post Posted July 17th, 2020, 7:16 am

I've updated from 60.9.1
The thing that I mostly was waiting to jump the boat, was to have TB be able to minimize to windows tray!! At last with 78 this is now possible!! With the addon minimze on close this is perfect.
Now, if only the universe could provide an auto copy text addon... but I can live without that. Also Google Calendar Provider is still not compatible, but the dev already said that it's working on that.

Ngamer01

User avatar
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: November 3rd, 2007, 8:37 am
Location: Louisiana

Post Posted July 17th, 2020, 9:43 am

I see 78 has integrated Lightning fully. How can I disable the Lightning functions now since there's no longer a Lightning add-on to uninstall? I have no need for chat, calendar, and events/tasks. Thanks to anyone who can help.

EDIT - Disabled the Home calendar removed most of the displayed integrated Lightning stuff from display. Only the toolbar icons remain visible and I can't get rid of them. Anyone know how to get rid of those two icons?

Rabbit4
 
Posts: 949
Joined: December 27th, 2017, 4:03 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted July 17th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Ngamer01 wrote:I see 78 has integrated Lightning fully. How can I disable the Lightning functions now since there's no longer a Lightning add-on to uninstall? I have no need for chat, calendar, and events/tasks. Thanks to anyone who can help.

EDIT - Disabled the Home calendar removed most of the displayed integrated Lightning stuff from display. Only the toolbar icons remain visible and I can't get rid of them. Anyone know how to get rid of those two icons?

if ya dont need them, dont use them, , but i think with Lightning you'll have to disable that in about:config editor

WaltS48

User avatar
 
Posts: 4389
Joined: May 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post Posted July 18th, 2020, 6:12 am

Ngamer01 wrote:I see 78 has integrated Lightning fully. How can I disable the Lightning functions now since there's no longer a Lightning add-on to uninstall? I have no need for chat, calendar, and events/tasks. Thanks to anyone who can help.

EDIT - Disabled the Home calendar removed most of the displayed integrated Lightning stuff from display. Only the toolbar icons remain visible and I can't get rid of them. Anyone know how to get rid of those two icons?


See viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3063020
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Ngamer01

User avatar
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: November 3rd, 2007, 8:37 am
Location: Louisiana

Post Posted July 18th, 2020, 8:34 am



Thanks. This definitely works -- at least until Mozilla guts userChrome.css from Firefox (which will force Thunderbird to gut userChrome.css later).

WaltS48

User avatar
 
Posts: 4389
Joined: May 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post Posted July 18th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Ngamer01 wrote:


Thanks. This definitely works -- at least until Mozilla guts userChrome.css from Firefox (which will force Thunderbird to gut userChrome.css later).


That would be a good thing IMHO.

YMMV
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

onesolo
 
Posts: 7
Joined: March 1st, 2019, 4:18 am

Post Posted July 22nd, 2020, 8:16 am

78.0.1 was released!! And looks even better than previous
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/

FileLink attachments included as a link and file when added from a network drive via drag & drop

Wow, finally this bug was crushed...

morat
 
Posts: 3932
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 6:29 pm

Post Posted July 22nd, 2020, 9:39 am

Regarding Thunderbird Portable

John wrote:We will not be upgrading Thunderbird Portable to the 78.x branch until 78.2 as that is when PGP is expected to be stable enough to switch to at least from guidance I've read.

http://portableapps.com/comment/244018#comment-244018

Return to Thunderbird General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests