Thunderbird for Linux Mint 19.3

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Grumpus

Thunderbird for Linux Mint 19.3

Post by Grumpus »

It seems so far Thunderbird will not be going into the Ubuntu or Mint repositories for Linux Mint 19.3.
Seems odd as EOL for Linux Mint 19.3 is April 2023, two more full years of support.
There are alternatives if using Snap or Flatpak and there's Ubuntuzilla and possibly the Thunderbird site for a tarball for a local install.
If people want to just dump operating systems they should learn to rob instead of steal.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Grumpus

Re: Thunderbird for Linux Mint 19.3

Post by Grumpus »

Thunderbird was in the standard repos today and updated the old fashioned way
Linux Mint 19.3
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

WOW!

I think that means 68.10.2 was updated to something 78 on Ubuntu 18.04 which I dropped in favor of Fedora which keeps their Thunderbird somewhat updated at 78.10.1.

Looks like it after 9 months https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... omments/80
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
mtalbot

Post by mtalbot »

Debian has Thunderbird version 78.11.0 in the repositories but isn't forcing users to update if they had already installed Thunderbird <= 68.*

I expect this is due to the significant changes in 78.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

mtalbot wrote:Debian has Thunderbird version 78.11.0 in the repositories but isn't forcing users to update if they had already installed Thunderbird <= 68.*

I expect this is due to the significant changes in 78.
Another distro that doesn't care about fixed security vulnerabilities :?:

Almost makes one ponder returning to Windows, since users don't have to rely on a distribution's maintainer, there is only one OS and desktop, and updates are automatic or at the user's choice, and the majority of TB users are on Windows.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
pablos

Post by pablos »

I have been on openSUSE Tumbleweed for several years. I like the rolling distro coupled with OpenQA[1].

At the moment,I'm on TB 78.11.0 (64-bit).

[1] - https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:OpenQA
James

Post by James »

WaltS48 wrote:Another distro that doesn't care about fixed security vulnerabilities :?:

Almost makes one ponder returning to Windows, since users don't have to rely on a distribution's maintainer, there is only one OS and desktop, and updates are automatic or at the user's choice, and the majority of TB users are on Windows.
Or you could use the official builds for Linux and get updates the same as you would on Windows and Mac. https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/

Just need to make sure the program folder has read/write permisions for the user to do updates as a easy way is to have it in a folder in Home.