saving email in 2 folders.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
fibrolan

saving email in 2 folders.

Post by fibrolan »

hi

I would like to know if it is possible to savethe same email into 2 folders. When my customers ask for quotes on products, we simply reply to the email with our quote. I am finding it hard to keep track of all the email that we have replied to and submitted quotes on products. I was thinking that if I were to save the email with the quotes into a folder called quotes, I could just browse this folder to see all quotes we have emailed. Furthermore, I would also still want to save the emailed quote in the customers' folder. Is this possible ?

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to do this better, I am sure I am not the only one using Thunderbird to email quotations on products to customers. ?

Robert
DanRaisch

Re: saving email in 2 folders.

Post by DanRaisch »

I am sure I am not the only one using Thunderbird to email quotations on products to customers. ?
Certainly but there are probably as many different ways to manage that process as there are folks doing it!
How are you getting the message into the customer's folder? That might suggest a way to also get it into a "Quotes" folder.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

Thanks for the reply. Right now when I sent the quote it just simply resides in the sent folder among all other sent emails. i am sure there is much much better ways to utilize Thunderbird to make it my own little CRM. I do not need fancy, I just need to be able to track the quotes we do by email and follow up on them.

Robert
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, there are a couple things you could try:

When composing the quote message, you can use menu path Options->Send a copy to->select the folder into which you wish to store the message. Obviously you might occasionally forget to do that.

Another method would make use of Thunderbird's Message Filter functionality. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29 If you include the word "Quote" (or some other appropriate term) in the subject of your outgoing message, you can run a filter on the Sent folder to automatically move messages with the chosen term to a "Quote" folder. Another filter could be run against the Inbox or other folder to find related messages and move them as desired.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

For emails you receive, you can be creative with rules and have a rule like this :
– If send to includes "Tom", put label "Important"
– If subject includes "horse", copy email to "horse"
– If subject includes "Quote", move email to "Quote"
Then the message will be labelled important, a copy will be placed in the "Horse" folder, another will be in the "Quote" folder and nothing will be left in the "Inbox" folder, meaning you have classified it.

For outgoing messages, you can work with outgoing rules, but I find it very complex to make rules that work equally well for new messages and replies alike. One extension I like is "Copy Sent to Current", which I use to put a copy of each message I send in my "Sent" folder and another in the subject-related folder.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

Thanks for the all the help. I am trying each of the suggestions to see which one is easiest to work with. Even though in the long run, this is just a workaround. I will make it work, as I like Thunderbird, and it has worked for me all these years.
Robert
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

i have 1 other last question. Now that I have everything on my desktop setup and all the addons loaded and working the way I like it. is there a way to copy the whole profile with all the addons and the way it is laid out to my laptop ?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this article - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

Please disregard references in the article to a utility called MozBackup. That has not been updated or even maintained in years and may cause problems if used to backup profiles created with current versions of Thunderbird.