icon in windows Taskbar

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
meRobs

icon in windows Taskbar

Post by meRobs »

I was hoping someone would know of some way of having the number of unread emails to be displayed on the Thunderbird icon on the Windows taskbar, at the bottom of the monitor.
This is the only feature that I liked, and missed, in eM Client.
Thanks
tanstaafl

Re: icon in windows Taskbar

Post by tanstaafl »

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... ead-badge/ was one way. In version 91.* you can enable it in the app icon options in tools -> preferences. I've done that but it doesn't do anything with my configuration despite mail.biff.showbadge being true. I have the same problem with 91.6.0 and beta and daily builds. Perhaps something is set incorrectly in windows settings app. I have "show badges on taskbar buttons" enabled and the notification area enabled for thunderbird in the taskbar settings.

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/08/23/thund ... dge-added/

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1725473 (adding it)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1725844 (complaining ignores child folders)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=715799 (unified new mail indication)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I just replaced my windows 10 PC (which was dying) with a new PC running Windows 11 pro and installed Thunderbird on it, with a new profile. I now see the badge with the new mail count on the icon in the taskbar. So that seems to support that I did something wrong in the windows settings app beforehand.
meRobs

Post by meRobs »

Thanks for your links. However, none seem to offer a solution.
Like you, I have TB Tools > Preferences > General > Config. editor > mail.biff.show_badge set as true. However, as I said, above, the number of unread emails is not displayed on the Taskbar icon.
I then closed TB, unpinned it from the taskbar, re-open it and re-pinned it, to no avail.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I have Windows 10. The Thunderbird icon with a red dot appears in the task bar when any folders have new, unseen mail (i.e. when folders are new). The icon has no number in it; however, when I hover over it, it shows the number of received message. It also seems to display the number of new messages since last count, excluding those in the Spam folder, even if that folder is highlighted in blue; and it also includes all accounts that I have (a mix of IMAP accounts, including one on Gmail – no POP). I also don't know how the count would work with Exchange mail using Owl.

For example, at this moment, I have a notification telling me I have "4 unread messages" (true since last time I checked the various folders), but I have a total of 10 messages declared as "Unread" (excluding the 250 unread messages in the Spam folder) because the 6 others have been declared "unread" for some time.
UPDATE : the icon and "new messages" count seem to disappear after a few seconds. No idea how many, but I went to fetch a drink in the next room and the icon and count had disappeared after that.

I also think – but I'm not sure – that if your Thunderbird is currently open displaying the Inbox and that all messages land there, you might not see the count because you would already see these new messages in their folder.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
meRobs

Post by meRobs »

Thanks for those comments mgagnonlv.
The red dot would be sufficient for me since whenever I take my PC up from standby I see the TB icon in the taskbar and a red dot would let me know that there is something for me to check in TB.
I am retired and get very few emails, maybe only ~5 emails a day.
Whenever I walk passed the PC I tap one of the keys and a few secs later, while standing nearby, I glance at the screen to look at the TB icon -- hoping to see a dot or number. But there is none, so, I need to sit down at the desk and tap the TB icon, in most cases to see no new emails! A bit of a nuisance.

By the way, I have the TB icon pinned to the Taskbar and always minimized to the taskbar. So, maybe it is effectively always open.
In that case, what you said about "the icon and "new messages" count seem to disappear after a few seconds" may apply, ie, explain why I see nothing?!
Robin
meRobs

Post by meRobs »

With more experimentation, I find that the number of unread emails is displayed on the TB icon on the taskbar if Thunderbird is open on the PC when the emails arrive.
It stays on the Icon until the Thunderbird window is closed or minimized to the taskbar.

This is of no use since, if the TB window is open, the new email will be displayed.
The number on the Icon would be required when TB is not open!