Starting Thunderbird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
jpolglase

Starting Thunderbird

Post by jpolglase »

Recently I have noticed that when I start Thunderbird, the inbox is not automatically selected. I would like Thunderbird to do two things automatically on startup if possible.

1). Startup with the inbox selected so that I can see my mail.
2). On startup, automatically check for new mail.

Is it possible to do this? I have used Thunderbird for years and I seem to remember that it used to perform this way. I have gone through all the settings but do not see anything related to these two questions.
lenny2

Re: Starting Thunderbird

Post by lenny2 »

jpolglase wrote:1). Startup with the inbox selected so that I can see my mail.
2). On startup, automatically check for new mail.
1\ For this, install the Auto Select Latest Message add-on https://addons.thunderbird.net/ru/thund ... t-message/ There you can configure which folder Thunderbird should select at startup and which mail is in that folder.
2\ Receiving mail at startup is configured in Thunderbird itself. Account Settings > Server Settings >
jpolglase

Post by jpolglase »

Thanks. Don't know how I missed that setting for receiving mail on startup, duh! I have installed the Auto Select Latest Message add-on but it is not working right now. I read that this has been happening. I have Thunderbird 91.10.0 and the latest Auto Select tool is version 3.1.5. Perhaps it will get fixed.
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

I made a mistake in the previous post. In Auto Select Latest Message add-on you can configure which e-mail will be displayed in preview pane at startup (picture on the left). You need Manually Sort Folders add-on (picture on the right) https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... t-folders/ to choose start folder (use Extra settings tab in it).
Both add-ons are compatible with Thunderbird v91.10.0.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I use Betterbird now, and it starts in the folder location that was last active/selected at the time of the previous shutdown of Betterbird. From memory Thunderbird has always done the same — no tinkering necessary.

If you want Thunderbird to open in the Inbox (or any other folder for that matter) on startup then just make sure you select the folder you would like before you exit Thunderbird.
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

BuddhaNature wrote:I use Betterbird now, and it starts in the folder location that was last active/selected at the time of the previous shutdown of Betterbird.
Yes, that's the default. But Betterbird has a unique option to assign a startup folder: right-click on the folder - check Startup Folder.
Thunderbird has no such option.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

lenny2 wrote:Betterbird has a unique option to assign a startup folder: right-click on the folder - check Startup Folder.
Thunderbird has no such option.
Ah, never noticed that in Betterbird. Thanks for the note.