Setting up Tbird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
cma6

Setting up Tbird

Post by cma6 »

After downloading and trying to install Tbird on new system, I entered email address and known password. I chose POP3.
However process did not complete, giving error message: "Unable to log in to server. Possibly wrong configuration, username or password."
I then tried to use the default setup where Tbird used my email address to set up the account as IMAP, but got same error message.
Thanks in advance to experts like Dan for your help.
tanstaafl

Re: Setting up Tbird

Post by tanstaafl »

What email provider are you using?

Did you consider reusing your old profile by copying its contents over the current profile on your new system? Go to help -> more troubleshooting information , and click on the about:profiles link (very near the bottom of the Application Basics section) to go to the profile manager. That will tell you what profiles you have and where they are. You want the root directory - ignore the local directory (its just some caches which you can ignore).
cma6

Post by cma6 »

[quote="tanstaafl"]What email provider are you using?

Did you consider reusing your old profile by copying its contents over the current profile on your new system? Go to help -> more troubleshooting information , and click on the about:profiles link (very near the bottom of the Application Basics section) to go to the profile manager. That will tell you what profiles you have and where they are. You want the root directory - ignore the local directory (its just some caches which you can ignore).[/quote]

Great idea. I will try it tomorrow. I will be using the old Tbird profile from the dead computer, which profile I will recover from a backup. Is that what you mean?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. Be careful to copy just the contents, don't copy the profile directory too. i.e. if your old profile was in a xyz directory on the dead computer you made a mistake if you get a xyz directory on the new computer.
cma6

Post by cma6 »

[quote="tanstaafl"]Yes. Be careful to copy just the contents, don't copy the profile directory too. i.e. if your old profile was in a xyz directory on the dead computer you made a mistake if you get a xyz directory on the new computer.[/quote]

This worked quite well with limitation. In the backup of the dead computer, I could not find a backup of C:\Users\etc. where the Tbird profile should be. So I got the Tbird profile from a third system with a good Tbird installation. This worked in that I have a functioning, up-to-date version of Tbird on new system, but most recent emails are from 2 years ago.

Is there any other location where C:\Users might have been backed up to?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The old profiles.ini file for Thunderbird should point to all of the profiles. On my PC its at C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird . Its a 7bit ASCII text file you can read in notepad.

You could also use a search utility such as Everything at https://www.snapfiles.com/get/everything.html to search for a prefs.js file. If that directory also has a abook.mab or abook.sqlite file (personal address book) than its a Thunderbird profile, not a Firefox profile.

Everything can index about a million files in one minute (according to the author). I never see the delay from it indexing its so quick. IMHO Windows Search is so slow its useless.
therube

Post by therube »

That is an older version that you do not want to use (for security reasons, Everything update suspected of being hijacked).

Get it from here, Everything, Download Everything.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
cma6

Post by cma6 »

[quote="therube"][quote]https://www.snapfiles.com/get/everything.html[/quote]
That is an older version that you do not want to use (for security reasons, [url=https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=11996]Everything update suspected of being hijacked[/url]).

Get it from here, Everything, [url=https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/]Download Everything[/url].[/quote]

Excellent ideas, which I'll try.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Are you using 102.2.2 ?
cma6

Post by cma6 »

[quote="wsmwk"]Are you using 102.2.2 ?[/quote]

Yes, I have latest Tbird.
mstorm85

Post by mstorm85 »

Are you using the correct ports and AUTH requirements? The server connection will fail if one of these settings are not correct. However, not sure if the error message would be different if that was the case.
cma6

Post by cma6 »

[quote="mstorm85"]Are you using the correct ports and AUTH requirements? The server connection will fail if one of these settings are not correct. However, not sure if the error message would be different if that was the case.[/quote]

Thanks for reply. Using the old profile did the trick.