compacting the folders

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
fibrolan

Re: compacting the folders

Post by fibrolan »

Good Morning.

I have been watching Thunderbird now for a couple of days and trying to figure out where the issue comes from. When sending an email issue, the email does send, but then the screen gets stuck and says that it is copying to sent folder. But it never moves or disappears in this message, and it does not get copied. You can cancel, and it will give you an option to retry or save, but neither seems to move the sent email to the sent folder.

I tried going into Help/troubleshooting information and clearing cache, but that does not help.

I did notice that when I open up Task manager and then open up Thunderbird, it shows it open 9 times. Not sure why. Maybe this is causing my Issue.

As well as mentioned before, I am using Imap. I check the size of the whole profile and it is 59GB. Yet when I check my outlook for the same account/folder it is 34GB. why such a big difference in size ?

Thanks
Robert
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Not sure. But it sounds like you have both offline folders for your IMAP accounts and a global search database. The latter duplicates a large percentage of the message text for its search index.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

How do I see what I have set if it is both offline folders for your IMAP accounts and a global search database. I am not sure how to figure it out ? any guidance would be appreciated.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How do I see what I have set if it is both offline folders for your IMAP accounts and a global search database. I am not sure how to figure it out ? any guidance would be appreciated.
DanRaisch wrote:What is the target for saving Sent messages? Check that under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folder->When sending messages, automatically: Place a copy in ??
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

In tools -> account settings find your account and look in synchronization & storage to see if "Keep messages for all folders for this account on this computer" is checked. If it is Thunderbird will create mbox files (files named after the folder, but with no file extension) that store a copy of that mail in that accounts "local directory".

After unchecking that you can delete the mbox files (for example "inbox.") in the accounts local directory. Mbox files contain the messages for a folder and are named after the folder, but have no file extension. The location of the local directory is at the bottom of the accounts server settings. Don't delete the *.msf files (folder listings) or the *.sbd subdirectories.

You don't want to delete mbox files for a POP account (as that local storage may be your only copy of the message) but can safely do it for a IMAP account. So if you have both POP and IMAP accounts make certain you leave the POP accounts alone. Don't delete any files in the "Local Folders" pseudo account.

Thunderbird also supports using the maildir format to store messages for a folder but that is disabled by default so I assume you're not using it.

tools -> settings -> indexing -> "enable global search and indexer" enables global search. If you uncheck that you can delete global-messages-db.sqlite in the profile. Mine is 27.2MB out of a profile that is 92.8MB.

You can use Quick Filter bar (Ctrl+Shift+K) or Classic Search (Ctrl+Shift+F) to search messages in the current folder. Personally I prefer the former, and enable its toolbar using view -> toolbars.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_-_Thunderbird