Archive Folders to NAS (local storage)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
PhishStory

Archive Folders to NAS (local storage)

Post by PhishStory »

Howdy, folks. Need a little help understanding how to get something done here.

I want to archive email accounts that are no longer in use, but still represent work done that I may need to reference in the future. I'd like to move the data from IMAP to my NAS, but I'm not sure how to do that and have it show properly in Tbird for the purpose of the native 'Archive' function alongside active accounts. Is this something that's better done with a 'local folders' structure and do a drag/drop manually?

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance!!!
Last edited by PhishStory on December 24th, 2022, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpus

Re: Archive Folders to NAS (local storage)

Post by Grumpus »

If you are not using these for some form of follow-up communication or need the absolute text and graphic format received or sent it's not a bad idea.
You would probably want to use a text editor with image capability should image attachment need to be input to text file.
Whether necessary or not may be subjective.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
PhishStory

Post by PhishStory »

Grumpus wrote:If you are not using these for some form of follow-up communication or need the absolute text and graphic format received or sent it's not a bad idea.
Actually, I may need to refer to attached files or images, or even forward an email from a dormant account to a future client as a point of reference.
PhishStory

Post by PhishStory »

Bump. Still need a hand here. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

PhishStory wrote:Bump. Still need a hand here. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
If you still wish to access the archived material on NAS the Local Folders add-on (https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... calfolder/) may be a solution. I have not used the add-on but the home page says that the add-on will allow you to create local folders on NAS. It may be that you could use this to create an archive folder on the NAS then point the Thunderbird archiving capability to that folder.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Bump. Is there anybody there following up on the advice that people take time to research and post?

Thanks in advance!
PhishStory

Post by PhishStory »

Gone Postal wrote:
PhishStory wrote:Bump. Still need a hand here. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
If you still wish to access the archived material on NAS the Local Folders add-on (https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... calfolder/) may be a solution. I have not used the add-on but the home page says that the add-on will allow you to create local folders on NAS. It may be that you could use this to create an archive folder on the NAS then point the Thunderbird archiving capability to that folder.
I'm able to access my NAS (personal unit at home) and created a folder structure with the idea that I could archive my files that way. See the screen shot below.

Is there any reason why pointing the 'Copies and Folders' to that structure wouldn't work? Please understand that I hesitate to make any changes not knowing how it might bite me in the behind later.

Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

I've contributed what little knowledge I have to the discussion. Someone else will need to help you from this point on.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

I've not tried the NAS setup you are attempting, so I don't have first hand knowleged. It should work.

But note, if there is a possiblity the storage might be unavailable at any point, then it's not a great idea.
Why not just archive them to your local disk?
PhishStory

Post by PhishStory »

Just wanted to report that the 'Local Folder' extension seems to have done the trick. At first, I created folders manually for the account in question on my NAS which appeared in the TB folder list, but when I attempted to drag the Inbox folder, I got a 'not enough space' error. So I deleted the folder and re-created it with the extension, and everything went fine. I don't have the native TB 'archive' function available, but for my use case, it wasn't necessary, I'm just preserving messages from accounts used for clients so that I have a reference body of work.

Thanks for everyone's help!
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Further note, there are existing bug reports for profile data on NAS which won't be fixed any time soon. Also, be very careful that the data you move to the NAS is 100% correct - which is to say, you might want to COPY rather than move messages, and validate that the copies are correct before deleting the original message.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

PhishStory wrote:Just wanted to report that the 'Local Folder' extension seems to have done the trick. At first, I created folders manually for the account in question on my NAS which appeared in the TB folder list, but when I attempted to drag the Inbox folder, I got a 'not enough space' error. So I deleted the folder and re-created it with the extension, and everything went fine. I don't have the native TB 'archive' function available, but for my use case, it wasn't necessary, I'm just preserving messages from accounts used for clients so that I have a reference body of work.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Thanks for the update. Sorry I was a bit grumpy earlier on.