Inbox has old messages

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
GdZla

Inbox has old messages

Post by GdZla »

Greetings,
I've been using TBird for a few years now, and apart from a few issues, I've been pleased with it overall. But a couple issues have are bugging me, so I figured I should upgrade first. I started with making a backup of my folders, but noticed it was about 2GB, which I found odd.

I found that the inboxes of the imap folders for each of my accounts have a bunch of old messages, which I've deleted long ago. I've verified my trash folders as well as other suspects(like 'all mail' in gmail) were empty. I move all other messages that I save to my local folders.

I thought there was a mail cleanup tool, but can't find it. I also tried searching the boards here, but get an sql error. Does the search function work?

Anyway, why these old deleted messages still in my imap inboxes?

Thanks for the help.
J
Thunderbird version 91.12.0
DanRaisch

Re: Inbox has old messages

Post by DanRaisch »

Right click on the Inbox folder name and select "Properties" from the context menu. Then click on "Repair folder".
GdZla

Post by GdZla »

That worked for my imap folders. I also noticed some of my local folders are also overly large, and the repair did nothing. Should it?
edit:
I'm still going thru folders as the repairs only reduced about 500MB. I found another trash file located in the
[Gmail].sbd folder. Is this a backup or something?

Thanks for the help!
GdZla

Post by GdZla »

Ok, so I've never used the 'compact' feature, and that took care of my local folders. But I'd appreciate any help on that above mentioned trash file, as compacting and repairing didn't touch it.
Thanks,
J
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The .sbd subdirectories are used to store the folders in a hierarchy, as there is no master list describing how the folders should be organized.
See if this article is helpful -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Minimize_the_ ... _a_profile
GdZla

Post by GdZla »

After restarting TBird, I ran the repair again and that cleaned up that trash file. Perhaps I just thought I'd cleaned it up the first time. Wouldn't be the first time I imagined things. But I swear that time Scarlett Johansson was in my bed wasn't a dream, man! :o

Thanks for the link too. Good stuff regardless.
Cheers,
J