Connection Timeouts and Sending Msg. Failed Errors

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
suryoyo

Connection Timeouts and Sending Msg. Failed Errors

Post by suryoyo »

Guys, I've been searching for these problems I've been having with Thunderbird for the last month without success. Basically Thunderbird is very very problematic. When receiving messages I get "Connection to server ' ' timed out and when sending messages I get other errors saying "Sending of message Failed, because connection to server ' ' timed out. This happens about 50% of the time but when it occurs no matter how many times I press the receive or send button it will not work.
I'm running Win Xp x64 and using mmoy's x64 Thunderbird build. I've also tried using the standard x32 releases on the forums with the same errors.
I have no sofware firewall running but I do hav a router connected to my pc.
I'd appreciate any help.
prodesma

Post by prodesma »

I was having the same problems with retrieving mail from my two website/domains I manage.
I KNOW my settings were correct, because I've verified everything from a different computer I recently set up, and SOMETIMES the mail would retrieve- or else SOME of the messages would be retrieved before the error message showed up.

I checked my Thunderbird version (>Help> About Thunderbird) and was running the 1.5 beta. I guess I don't remember downloading the beta, so I ran an uninstall (well, deleted all files/folders, see below) and installed Thunderbird v1.0.7 and everything is running fine now.

BTW, the BETA 1.5 had a few quirky things:
1) it didn't show up in my applications lists (Program Manager in Control Panel for instance and also Change or Remove Programs in Control Panel). Don't know why. I understand if it wasn't in my "quick start' menu; if I had chosen to not have it there when installing- I don't remember unchecking this option, though).

2) the 'uninstall Thunderbird' also did not work. It would not be able to identify what program was used to open it. This is pro'lly related to not being in my application list.

3) I would USUALLY be able to retrieve new messages when re-starting my 'puter (meaning: log-off and restart or restart from start menu) NOT just exiting Thunderbird.

4) my settings were NOT uninstalled when removing ALL files/folders that "search" found on my hard drive. I understand this is related to personalization... and I've read about this- so NOT a bug. Just saying that when Thunderbird 1.0.7 was installed, it KEPT the settings from Beta 1.5 and AUTOMATICALLY retrieved ALL the messages I was unable to get with 1.5

5) Beta 1.5 was constantly retrieving the SAME messages from my servers, because I chose to save all messages on server (without deleeting once downloaded). This is annoying. I have not had this issue with 1.0.7, it did NOT reload the same messages again.

6) Although I cannot say this would be a quick fix, you can try typing your user ID with domain name or without, as an alternate solution. Both of my user ID's do not include the domain name when I log in to my domain admin accounts. But ONE domain setting in Thunderbird seems to work only with the full ID (e.g. my user is: sysadmin, my pass is: adminpass, my domain is: mydomain.com; sysadmin does NOT work in server setting, sysadmin@mydomain.com DOES work). You can find other threads that detail this solution.

Hope this helps some of you. Cheers.
new pc build 11/05:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz
OC'ed to 2.68 GHz, FSB 1072 MHz, 1.45v
2 GB (2 x 1 GB) ram @ 268 MHz
250 GB WD Caviar SE16 HD x 2
XP Professional (32-bit version) w/ SP2
MS Office Enterprise Edition

Firefox v1.0.7
Thunderbird v1.0.7.
suryoyo

Post by suryoyo »

Because I'm running a third party thunderbird build, the program has no installer. I just unzip it and place it wherever I want and run it. I've been using TB on a fresh install of windows so it doesn't have any past settings to import. I know my settings are right but the problem happens on 2 different type of servers, actually 3 cunting my old isp's email. I was thinking my router could be the problem but I can't really see how. I guess I'll try your domain name tip tomorrow and see if it does anything. I could also downgrade to ver 1.07 but I'm running mmoy's x64 compiled ver and it's really nice.
SirHangDangly

Post by SirHangDangly »

It has nothing to do with your router. I have the same issue, with stable and beta, and my mail server is local on my subnet.

That guy has posted that reply on like five million threads (or so). He is running the 32-bit version of XP, so it won't have much to do with your situation.
suryoyo

Post by suryoyo »

Hey HangDangly have you figured out a solution or are you just bearing it like me?
We can't be the only two having this problem, I mean there's got to be tons of people using this 1.5 beta version of TB.
SirHangDangly

Post by SirHangDangly »

I got nothin'. Once in a while it works, but usually it does not.

I have taken to just using the web interface I setup for my server until I see something on here that makes me think it might work.

I'm sure it works just peachy on the 32-bit version of XP.
mknobil

Mail send fails

Post by mknobil »

Migrated to new computer. Same settings.
Old computer works fine. New one started being rejected by server after system crash.
Incoming mail works fine.

Firewall is off.

Any ideas?
Dell Inspiron 700m
1GB Ram
2GH processor
XP Home
Verizon DSL
suryoyo

Post by suryoyo »

Are you using mmoy's x64 buid like I am on a win x64 machine?
wduros1

Post by wduros1 »

I am having the same problem with RC1 - cannot connect to save it's life. I was using Thunderbird (1.0.7) on my old machine, but when I built a new dual core box, I installed the release candidate (clean install), and have had nothing but connection error messages. I works once in a while... but not enough to justify keeping it installed. I know this is an RC1 issue, because I can remote desktop back to my old box with the same settings, and it works fine.
You know it's a bug when I double click to start TBird and as soon as it's main window is displayed the "Timeout" dialog is displayed. Come on - it's been in memory for about .8 seconds - what's to time out? :wink:
Strangly - the autoupdate that I received yesterday seems to have made it worse....
Ward Durossette
ward@durossette.com
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

The Release <u>Candidate</u> is still not yet the final release and can contain bugs.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I did have a similar problem that actually did finally trace back to a faulty router. Are you getting page not found errors in your browser at the same time? Does rebooting the router fix it? Mine was a Linksys router provided by Vonage VoIP phone service. Once they replaced it all was well.
suryoyo

Post by suryoyo »

I have had 0 problems with my dlink router. I don't get any page not found problems at all. It's most likely a RC bug, but being a RC, how can miss one of the biggest problems THunderbird has right now; not being able to send or receive messages. It's just unbeleiveable.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I have no problems sending and receiving from RC1
stretchboy

Post by stretchboy »

I have a similar problem. When I use the x64 version of TBird I get an hourglass and it never connects. However if I use the same 32bit version I can connect and have complete use of the app. I am doing the same thing as suryoyo in that I am using the mmoy versions of the app.
I code therefore I am
suryoyo

Post by suryoyo »

As an update, I've ditched Mmoy's x64 build because of problems unrelated to the timeouts I was getting. I'm now using the official x32 daily trunk build and I still have the connection timeouts!!! This seems like a win x64 problem possibly??? Is there no other win x64 user out there?