transfer email to new computer thunderbird - thunderbird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Jana B

transfer email to new computer thunderbird - thunderbird

Post by Jana B »

I am very frustrated about my email. I got a new computer. I copied the mail folder to a hard drive to back it up, as I could not find a way for thunderbird to import from thunderbird... duh! I have spent hours & hours trying to get my email copied into the new email. I finally got the folders to show up, but not the subfolders. I had Inbox....folder....subfolder. I had 3 different email account in Tbird. I am not transferring over one of them.

At this point, because this took so long, I now I have new email in my new computer, but do still want to save my old emails. I have a lot of them. I dont want to lose my new email while transfering in my old email. I have 2 different email address I want to copy to my new computer. I am hoping I can insert both of them into the local folders box at least. I am afraid to try to merge my new email & old email for the same email address. I set up the new computer where I am not using the local folders box yet. And the 2 email addresses have their own box in the new computer. I want to transfer over the sent and the inbox for account 1 & b of the old computer.

Do you have any suggestions? I don't want to screw up my current profile or the new email that Iam using on my new computer.
James

Post by James »

Moves thread from Firefox General TO Thunderbird General.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Install this extension: Mboximport: http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

To install a Thunderbird extension do the following:
Right click the download link and choose "Save Link As...". Then open Thunderbird, in Thunderbird go to Tools->Extensions->Install. Find the just downloaded .xpi file and select it. The installation will now begin. You will need to close and reopen Thunderbird to complete the install.

When it's installed, you will have a new menu item in Tools called Import/Export Mbox and under it, Import Mbox File. Select it and when you get to the Windows file navigation window, find your OLD Mail folder and get the files with no extension that you want from *account*. Example: there are two files and 1 folder in your profile\Mail folder for your inbox. Inbox.sbd is the folder which holds the files for any subfolders, inbox.msf is the index and inbox (no extension) is the actual message file. The last one is the one you want. Do this for each folder that contains messages that you want to bring in. If you have subfolders, these files are in the .sbd folder for the parent folder. The messages will be in a new folder named for the original with three numbers, ex: Inbox123, which you can then move the messages out of and sort as you want.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

And for the next time (and the next person running into this same problem): The easiest way to move Thunderbird from one Windows PC to another is with MozBackup, provided there are no new messages on the new PC yet.
niarobyn

Post by niarobyn »

Mr. Liu wrote:And for the next time (and the next person running into this same problem): The easiest way to move Thunderbird from one Windows PC to another is with MozBackup, provided there are no new messages on the new PC yet.
Can I ask if I should follow the same steps to copy my existing emails (all folders) in Thunderbird onto my laptop so I am running the two in sync? Basically, I want to be running Thunderbird on my new laptop in sync with my desktop so need to:
1. copy all my existing mail folders across;
2. synchronise all mail going into my inbox, then into my sent and trash boxes or folders, regardless of whether I am working on my laptop or desktop....

Can anyone help on one or both fronts please?

Thanks

Many thanks!
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

That is a completely different question. I suggest you take a look at the Knowledge Base (====>), keyword synchronise.

I already found the following for you:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Synchronizing ... derbird%29