[resolved!] add all INCOMING addresses to address book

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

Hi Freee!!

Ok, I see. Great! I guess the link you are referring to is:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQ ... ig_Entries

So, for example if the config entries we have been talking about here on page 1 are not yet included in the link above, should I add them ?
And is this the only place where config_entries are documented ore do I have to check elsewhere before I add my info in order to avoid duplicates ?

Kind regards, chrizoo
chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

oh ... I just saw that the link above is for Firefox (the link itself even says so ... :p )

I have searched around, but I couldn't find a similar link for Thunderbird. Anybody knows where ?
chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

hi, thanks for your input but did you check what you have just posted??
Because of course, that was my first guess, too. But when I go to the address that you mentioned, I only reach an empty page:

"There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page."
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

chrizoo wrote:hi, thanks for your input but did you check what you have just posted??
Of course I did.
Because of course, that was my first guess, too. But when I go to the address that you mentioned, I only reach an empty page:

"There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page."
I know.
Freee!! wrote:Why don't you just start it?
chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

Ok, I got you wrong.

Of course I could start that page, but I honestly don't think that for Firefox there is a mile-long documentation for the about:config and for Thunderbird there is ... strictly nothing. I just think, that that was not the right link ...

... anybody knows where the information for Thunderbird is (similar to the Firefox link above) ?

thanks
jessejazza

Post by jessejazza »

Thanks for your posting i learnt something too. I have always kept a webmail address (yahoo) for any form i fill in or such and such. But i have another address for communication with trusted folk and haven't bothered with spam protection and HAVEN'T HAD ANY.

Yahoo's control of spam seems different to everyone else's - intelligent!. You can send an email there as a 'stranger' and it'll go in the inbox. Same for my electricity bils and such - doesn't end in spam. Yet all the insurance/mortgage etc 'true spam' ends in the spam folder. Other providers seem to have a basic system whereby if one hasn't sent to them it'll go straight in the spam. Interesting how they manage it and yet no-one else does - or do i rate yahoo too highly.
geolin

adding sender email addresses to adress book

Post by geolin »

In outlook express one can "add an email address" to the address book individuallly under tools. Is this possible to do with TB 2.o. Thanks Geoff
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

In the 1.0 and 1.5 versions you do it by right-clicking on the address in any message. I assume they left that the same in 2.0 (haven't installed it yet).
geolin

Post by geolin »

Thanks freee!!!
chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

Strange, I could swear it had worked for me when I posted the messages above some months ago, but now I still have both mail.collect_email_address_incoming and mail.collect_email_address_outgoing set to true, but nevertheless now it's ONLY THE OUTGOING addresses that are added to the "collected addresses" book, not the incoming addresses ...

anybody experiencing the same problems or having any ideas... ?
thanks
klades

Post by klades »

The preference "mail.collect_email_address_incoming" DOESN'T WORK on Thunderbird, this is a choice of developers, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=390763
The function could be easily restored via extension, I wrote some code but I've not released anything because I don't know if it can be really useful.
chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

Hi again klades, thanks for your advice. In this topic, I have explained long and large (literally;) why this function can be very very helpful for some people (if some conditions are met).
I could tell you, but I would repeat everything that I have written here before ... maybe you want to read?
If you feel that for some reasons, you don't want to release your code, I would be very thankful if you could PM me something (but I cannot code, so I would need a ready .xpi or something like that...).
Many thanks in advance.

PS: By the way, your link says that the pref doesn't work with TB2, but I'm using TB1.5, shouldn't it work with 1.5 all the same ??