Thunderbird won't open browser

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
cjones

Post by cjones »

Beastux wrote:Hi RobF,

I've finally found out how to have Firefox to open a compose window in Thunderbird when clicking on an email address.

1. Launch Firefox and type "about:config" as address

You must have "network.protocol-handler.external.mailto" set to "true"

2. Create a file called "mailto.sh" in Firefox's directory (/opt/firefox for me) containing the following lines shell script found in another mozillazine post) :

#!/bin/sh
#
#script author: asterix
#http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=136157#136157

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/opt/MozillaThunderbird
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME

# try xremote first
if [ $(ps aux | grep thunderbird | wc -l) -gt 1 ]; then
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/mozilla-xremote-client "mailto($1?subject=$2)" && exit 0; fi

# if xremote failed, then launch the program
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird -P default -compose "mailto:$1?subject=$2"

3. chmod +x /opt/firefox/mailto.sh

4. Download MozEX from http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#mozex

5. In Firefox, Tools > Options > Extensions > mozex > Settings

Check "Intercept mailto: clicks"

In Commands / Mailer, fill field with /opt/firefox/mailto.sh %r

When you restart Firefox, it should work. [-o<

I'm also very thankful for the info on getting to work the clicking on a thunderbird url and having firefox open up a new tab. Works perfectly. I then tried the reverse.... but when it came to installing the extension 'mozex', I've got problems.

I'm running both thunderbird (0.6+) and firefox (0.8.0+) on my SGI box (running IRIX). It works fine, but the one limitation I've found with my port of firefox is extensions. I've seen what's supposed to happen when tried installing an extension on my PC.... but when I click on 'install' with an extension, I see what looks like activity in the bottom of the browser, then nothing.

I just can't install any. Is there ways around this, or another way to install an extension?

Thanks!

-chris
dodgefan67

Post by dodgefan67 »

WOW! these script are exactly what i have been looking for. this problem is what has kept me from using firefox/thunderbird for too long, now i can use them exclusively! thanks so much Beastux! awesome work and great scipts.

this should be a sticky on how to get firefox/thunderbird to work together on KDE
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
- - - Groucho Marx

Jerry Marshall
Registered Linux User #319935
Registered Linux Machine #204881
pitten

installing moxex on SuSe8.2 not working

Post by pitten »

I'm trying to install moxex on a linux box (in order to get mailto: links
to fire up thunderbird) but I'm getting nowhere fast.
I installed the developer extentions, installed and then un-installed
the Google Toolbar, all without a hitch.

But the mosex installation tells me to restart firefox, even though
nothing happened and nothing got installed.
So I logged in as root, re-installed firefox globally, in /usr/local,
and still got the same behavior.
dodgefan67

Post by dodgefan67 »

double check that mozex is installed, go to tools/options/ extensions and see if it is listed. if it is, select it and make sure it is enabled, then you can customize it

one other thing, if you installed firefox as root to /usr/local, but then you are trying to install extensions with your login and are trying to install them to /usr/local as well, you will have to change the permissions on /usr/local or you will have to install them in your home directory

hope that helps
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
- - - Groucho Marx

Jerry Marshall
jkg

Post by jkg »

I'm also indebted to Beastux for his excellent scripts!

I'm running the latest FIrefox and Thundbird, both v0.9, on Mandrake 10.0.

I've gotten Thunderbird to recognize FIreFox, but when trying to get FireFox to recognize mailto protocols, I get hung up when installing MozEX. I'm not sure if the new build isn't supported yet, or what, but after restarting FireFox per the install instructions... well, I can't restart FireFox. It hangs up and then dies. After a system restart the program will open again, but there's no indication that I ever even tried to install MozEX. I've tried it twice, once to each location the installer offers (sorry, I don't remember how they worded the options).

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!
dodgefan67

new problem

Post by dodgefan67 »

hi beastux. wanted to thank you again for the great scripts for firefox and thunderbird. they are the perfect answers to many many searches.

these scripts worked great when i first used them on debian, but i have installed slackware and updated FF and TB to .9.1 and .7.1. now the script for opening a new mail message from within firefox is acting a little strange. if thunderbird IS NOT running, the script works, opens a new message with the senders address in the To line, but if thunderbird IS running, then i get prompted for a profile to use and the new mail message window does not open. i have recreated everything from scratch and it did not help

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks again,

Jerry

p.s.
i tried to send this in a private message but not sure if it went. if it did, sorry for being redundant
- - - Groucho Marx

Jerry Marshall
dodgefan67

Post by dodgefan67 »

is anyone watching this thread anymore?
- - - Groucho Marx

Jerry Marshall
lottoman

MAJOR kudos

Post by lottoman »

I want to nominate Beastux for troubleshooter of the year, his scripts are invaluable and dead-on functional! Additionally, his straightforward "plain-English" manner of explaining implementation is rarely found in most forums, but ALWAYS appreciated! A great big public Thank You!! =D>
You can't win if you don't play!
utanja

Post by utanja »

strange jsmarshall.....i dont have that problem but i will look into it later today or tomorrow when i have time ....
i am female and i don't do windows and definitely don't do macs..
i fly a LearJet--- tonyaflies.com
dodgefan67

Post by dodgefan67 »

thanks tanya
- - - Groucho Marx

Jerry Marshall
bezbozhnik

Opening TB from FF

Post by bezbozhnik »

Like Chris, I'm still having trouble sorting out mailto: links - any further hints appreciated. The sticking point seems to be MozEx installation, which seems to half-work at best: it briefly flashes into the Extensions list, next to DOM Inspector, then vanishes. It has added itself to the right-click menu, but I can't find any way to config it. I'm running FF0.9.1 btw.

Must say that this thread has been most interesting. Beastux's and others' insights into the mysteries of run-mozilla.sh, MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME, mozilla-xremote-client etc have been the clearest yet. Some of these clunky Linux launch scripts have haunted us since the early days of Mozilla - I'm surprised they haven't been ditched or overhauled, at least for TB & FF.

Right, haven't used a phpBB for ages, let's see what happens when I click...
eeried

Post by eeried »

Hello,

Has some used this script on a Debian/-based distro? I'm quite eager to try it.

As a Linux newbie I don't unerstand MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME. Can someone help?

Cheers,
eeried
Debian Etch + Sid and Ubuntu
http://www.squidoo.com/spreadfirefox/libre-fan-firefox
dodgefan67

Post by dodgefan67 »

yeah i have used it on debian, but what i did was install firefox/thunderbird into the /opt directory which debian does not do if you use apt-get

as far as the mozilla_five_home - i'm not sure what it means either. all i know is it works, but i assume it is a variable that points to your install directory, so where ever firefox/thunderbird is installed to that is where mozilla_five_home needs to point to
- - - Groucho Marx

Jerry Marshall
utanja

Post by utanja »

eeried wrote:Hello,

Has some used this script on a Debian/-based distro? I'm quite eager to try it.

As a Linux newbie I don't unerstand MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME. Can someone help?

Cheers,

i am using both scripts with debian sid 2.6.6.1 kernel.....been working perfectly for me..
i am female and i don't do windows and definitely don't do macs..
i fly a LearJet--- tonyaflies.com
delsdog

Struggling

Post by delsdog »

I can't get the first script to work at all (haven't tried the mailto: one yet).

I've only just installed Fedora Core 2 yesterday and I wanted to be able to to open my mail links without having to close any old browser windows. Anyone have any idea why this would be happening to my setup, is it anything to do with the small version changes in FF and Tb in the last few weeks?

I wouldn't have thought it would be that.

Also in Gnome-> Preferred Applications, are the relevant programs still meant to have the %s after them (eg /home/derek/firefox/firefox %s)

Any help would be appreciated greatly since I am eager to stay away from Windows for a good long time now I have finally made the change.

Del