Thunderbird won't open browser

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
utanja

Re: Struggling

Post by utanja »

delsdog wrote:I can't get the first script to work at all (haven't tried the mailto: one yet).

I've only just installed Fedora Core 2 yesterday and I wanted to be able to to open my mail links without having to close any old browser windows. Anyone have any idea why this would be happening to my setup, is it anything to do with the small version changes in FF and Tb in the last few weeks?

I wouldn't have thought it would be that.

Also in Gnome-> Preferred Applications, are the relevant programs still meant to have the %s after them (eg /home/derek/firefox/firefox %s)

Any help would be appreciated greatly since I am eager to stay away from Windows for a good long time now I have finally made the change.

Del

yes. the %s is necessary ...it hold the URL in the link you click on...

have you made all the parts to the process...
like...adding the lines to user.js...and moving the mozilla remote file to firefox

another common problem is incorrect designation of file locations in the scripts...

:)
i am female and i don't do windows and definitely don't do macs..
i fly a LearJet--- tonyaflies.com
delsdog

Post by delsdog »

I've done all of the file creation and as far as I am aware it is correct.

Maybe the file location are incorrectly done.
So for example:

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/home/derek/firefox"

is what I have pointing at my install of Firefox, is that wrong?
I tried it without the quotes as well and it didn't appear to help.
utanja

Post by utanja »

delsdog wrote:I've done all of the file creation and as far as I am aware it is correct.

Maybe the file location are incorrectly done.
So for example:

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/home/derek/firefox"

is what I have pointing at my install of Firefox, is that wrong?
I tried it without the quotes as well and it didn't appear to help.

have you set the permissions for the script to execute

# chmod +x openlink.sh

am i correct to assume that the firefox executible files and locations are in /home/derek/firefox and not in
/usr/share/firefox or similar
delsdog

Post by delsdog »

yes to both, I changed the permissions on the openlink.sh file and the executable file is indeed in /home/derek/firefox.

Which is why I am stumped
delsdog

Post by delsdog »

I appear to have solved it. Sort of.
In Gnome->Preferred Applications I changed the web browser from:
/home/derek/firefox/firefox %s
to
/home/derek/thunderbird/openlink.sh %s
and it works.

I probably didn't read the instructions properly or something, and I was maybe a bit stupid about it, but this page
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunder ... xurls.html
helped me out.

However when I open Firefox itself I get no home page, not a pain, just don't know why.
rbpenn

Didn't work

Post by rbpenn »

I'm not sure why beastux' fix works for everyone but me, but that seems to be the case. I did all that exactly, and I still get the same thing I've always gotten, no matter what I've tried: "somewebpage.html could not be opened, becasue the associated helper application does not exist. Chang the association in your preferences." Yes, Virginia, the associated helper application DOES exist- it's right exactly where I told you it is. And it DOES work- I use it all the time to lauch Firefox from other apps just fine. WTF?
schweigi

Didn't work for me /just for a while ;) /

Post by schweigi »

I have Mandrake 10.0 (work with KDE)
Firefox is v. 0.9.1 and Thunderbird 0.7.1

I tried the script for links opening in Thunderbird. It doesn't work and I don't know why!
The openlink.sh script is ok - I checked it form terminal (in both cases: Firefox already running and closed a new tab/window appeared)
So I guess something else is wrong.
I've created th user.js file in my /home/schweigi/.thunderbird/default/XXxx location (where the prefs.js also is present). I've checked path from the user.js in terminal - it's ok too.
In the prefs.js I have the three lines exactly as in user.js
What is wrong then?

Thanks in advance
Pawel

Added on 26.07 @ 10:06
It's ok, I've solved it already. I don't know is this the REAL cause, but when the openlink.sh was created by the non-root user it worked perfectly. When it was root, although all permissions needed were set as described, it didn't work at all.
Anyway, thanks a lot for the scripts !!!
utanja

Post by utanja »

did you change the location in user.js to point to your location for thunderbird.....

unless your location for the files for thunderbird are the same as the author ....you must change
/opt/firefox/firefox......to the true location for your system......i have made this error on several occasions...
eeried

Post by eeried »

I'm happy to say Beastux'script (opening a link into Firefox, and a new tab if Firefox is already launched) works like a charm on my Libranet 2.7 (debian-based distro) -- after correcting *my* newbie mistakes (not editing paths for instance, from /opt to usr/local/)--

Many thanks Beastux :-)

Cheers
eeried
Debian Etch + Sid and Ubuntu
http://www.squidoo.com/spreadfirefox/libre-fan-firefox
joebaker

Multi-User System

Post by joebaker »

Will the above script find the correct PID of thunderbird if many instances of thunderbird are running as different users?
What if user accounts don't have access to ps because the security level has been set higher?

Couldn't we find the thunderbird PID in the user's temp directory somehow?

I run a machine with many vncserver sessions which users tap into their own sessions.
This would be a great fix if it works on multi-user machines.

Thanks!
dap152

firefox still wants to open a new profile

Post by dap152 »

ok, I'm still a newbie. I've got the mailto script to work perfectly in firefox and I've got the html script to almost work with thunderbird. the problem i'm still having is that i can't seem to get it to open a new tab once firefox is already open. it always asks for a new profile. i've been over the scripts a hundred times to make sure that the paths are correct and they all appear to be. My biggest question is this:

3- Create a file called user.js in your ~/.thunderbird/default/xxx/ containing :

my thunderbird program is installed in home/donlinux/thunderbird. i don't have a directory called default, but have one called default(s) I've put the user.js in there because i have no directory /xxx/ and i'm not sure what is meant by that. I've also put the user.js in my defaults/pref directory . I know it's something simple i'm missing but i'm at wits end here. many thanks in advance for any help
utanja

Re: firefox still wants to open a new profile

Post by utanja »

dap152 wrote:ok, I'm still a newbie. I've got the mailto script to work perfectly in firefox and I've got the html script to almost work with thunderbird. the problem i'm still having is that i can't seem to get it to open a new tab once firefox is already open. it always asks for a new profile. i've been over the scripts a hundred times to make sure that the paths are correct and they all appear to be. My biggest question is this:

3- Create a file called user.js in your ~/.thunderbird/default/xxx/ containing :

my thunderbird program is installed in home/donlinux/thunderbird. i don't have a directory called default, but have one called default(s) I've put the user.js in there because i have no directory /xxx/ and i'm not sure what is meant by that. I've also put the user.js in my defaults/pref directory . I know it's something simple i'm missing but i'm at wits end here. many thanks in advance for any help

the user.js file should be placed in the ./thunderbird location ...wherever that happen to be on your system... to find ....search for another file called pref.js......place the user.js file in the same directory as this file...

do the following.

first as root
updatedb........this will update locations in your system

now do
whereis prefs.js

it should return the location of prefs.js

use the location which contains thunderbird....
ersi

Post by ersi »

Can someone create a script to make Firefox's Send Page function useful? I mean so that the function would open Thunderbird's compose window and paste the web page's address as subject, <b>or even better, the body</b>.
Last edited by ersi on August 9th, 2004, 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
vulture99

mailto works, Send Page sort of works

Post by vulture99 »

Anyone know how to get Send Page working in Firefox if Thunderbird is already open?

The procedures laid out in this thread are working well on my system. The only thing I would like to fix is what the previous poster mentioned - the Send Page option in Firefox. In my case I am able to do a Send Page if I have Thunderbird closed - it will open a new e-mail message window automatically, containing the title in the subject line and the URL in the body (sweet!). However, if Thunderbird is already open, it gives me the Profile dialog instead. This is the same behavior described by jsmarshall85 in a July 2 message. In that case it was a mailto problem, though (I think).

Thanks for any help.
ndub

Post by ndub »

Beastux,

On the late, I found this topic and applied the Tb->Fb part, which is working so great (I'd already found the asterix script)!! I searched all the web for such an essential feature! You saved my browsing experience!
Thank you again,

ndub
--
ndub