Thunderbird is coming.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
MBR

Re: Minotaur profile

Post by MBR »

Chris Cook wrote:It seems minotaur is currently using the mozilla profile. I hope that by 0.1 or shortly thereafter minotaur will have its own profile stored in a separate path like phoenix. I didn't see any mention about this on the minotaur page though.

http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/minotaur/build.html
at the bottom of the page: "It currently uses your mozilla profile(s)." But I think this will be the next thing that is changed.

Malte
flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit »

it's really nice to see this project moving forward. I use Px as my default browser and moz-mail for my mail client. It would be nice to have a small basic stand alone client, personally im looking for something functional without a lot of bloat, which is what Px is working toward.

It's amazing how long i've been waiting for this. heh. I want to thank those of you who have been kind enough to host compiled builds for us. I can't wait to test it out a bit, even in it's very alpha state.
Chris Cook

Theme support

Post by Chris Cook »

I am probably a bit premature here but it is unclear how themes will be installed in Minotaur since you can't browse to an install page. I presume the functionality will be added (ala cdn's theme installer extension?) at some point.

I'm already contemplating creating a theme for Minotaur since I don't really like the classic theme. If I create a "Luna" like theme it would probably end up looking like outlook express (on WinXP). Does anyone want a OE look-alike theme? I'm not sure that I would. Are there any other nice mail clients to steal from?
scragz

Post by scragz »

I'm not sure what winXP's Outlook Express looks like, but I would like a Luna theme to go w/ my Px Luna theme.
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

I think XP's OE doesn't look bad... but still I'd be happy if I'll be able to use a Crystal theme to match the new one for Phoenix...
..::XF::..
Gene Poole

Post by Gene Poole »

wow. is it ~ever~ bloated...

BUT...

it also links to phoenix instead of Mozilla/Netscape (hurrah!) and is much more intuitive for customization (hurrah again!)

just make it faster and already I'd be happy to toss out Netscape 4.7* as my email client of choice.
Would you like to know more?
tve

Post by tve »

whats the targetted build size for 1.0 or earlier versions?

and will it have a minimize-to-tray option, like most windows clients? (except MM and OE) ;)
old Neil Parks

Re: Theme support

Post by old Neil Parks »

Chris Cook wrote:'m already contemplating creating a theme for Minotaur since I don't really like the classic theme. ... Are there any other nice mail clients to steal from?

Can you make it look like Pegasus?
Piel

Post by Piel »

Chris Cook wrote:'m already contemplating creating a theme for Minotaur since I don't really like the classic theme. ... Are there any other nice mail clients to steal from?

I would LOVE a theme that mimics the Ximian Evolution look

http://www.ximian.com/products/evolutio ... shots.html
Chris Cook

Post by Chris Cook »

Piel wrote:

I would LOVE a theme that mimics the Ximian Evolution look

http://www.ximian.com/products/evolutio ... shots.html

So basically you want an outlook theme, but with different icons. I might agree with that except that mozmail isn't an outlook/evolution clone (PIM) feature-wise so lacks some of the related UI. Also I don't think the mail specific evolution icons would fit well in a Luna theme. I think it would require an "evolution" theme, which isn't a bad thing.
Chris Cook

Post by Chris Cook »

Neil Parks wrote:

Can you make it look like Pegasus?

Do you have any screenshots? The Pegasus mail website appears to be lacking in this regard.
MBR

Post by MBR »

tve wrote:whats the targetted build size for 1.0 or earlier versions?

I couldn't find any information on this. It's just too early to make such predictions, I suppose. Even the current build size cannot be an exact indication how big it'll be since there is certainly much uneeded stuff in it.
But Minotaur seems to need more from mozilla than Phoenix: mailnews component obviously, editor for composing mails, rendering engine for HTML mails etc. or is this wrong?

Malte
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Chris Cook wrote:Do you have any screenshots? The Pegasus mail website appears to be lacking in this regard.

There is a big one here:

http://my.en.com/~nparks/gcp/pegmail24.bmp

(Sorry for the large file size)
zengiman

Post by zengiman »

Neil Parks wrote:Can you make it look like Pegasus?

Plz no! Give me a safari look like phoenix has.
warenhaus

Post by warenhaus »

please, not Pegasus. it's too Win3.1ish. I have it installed, not being able to decide whether to use it or not. well, for now, it's NOT. i can hardly wait for Thunderbird/Minotaur (Minobird? Thundertaur?) to be released.
Believe it or not, for now, i use Pine over a standard Windows Telnet client. and i use a webmail account to view attachments. hehe.

(btw, i don't want no OE-look either)

---
stop the killing