Minotaur?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Gacek

Post by Gacek »

what's this minotaur anyway? I don't want to waste time downloading it just to check what it is. I have a 56k connection so 10MB is not click-and-run...
Evangelism is what I do best.
warenhaus

Post by warenhaus »

Gacek wrote:what's this minotaur anyway? I don't want to waste time downloading it just to check what it is. I have a 56k connection so 10MB is not click-and-run...

http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/minotaur/

it's like Phoenix, but for mail. Mozilla mail only, so to say.
not even in 0.1 state for now. but moving, and anticipated.
Chris Cook

Post by Chris Cook »

Gacek wrote:what's this minotaur anyway? I don't want to waste time downloading it just to check what it is. I have a 56k connection so 10MB is not click-and-run...

Its Mozilla Mail without the Mozilla suite (but almost the same size download). Try to keep up. You shouldn't download things if you don't know what they are anyway.
Lost User 2526

Post by Lost User 2526 »

1. do you have to uninstall mozilla before you use minotaur?

2. is it based off 1.2.1 or 1.3?

3. is it safe to assume there's no bugs here not in mozilla?

thanks.
cheeaun

Post by cheeaun »

duns0014 wrote:1. do you have to uninstall mozilla before you use minotaur?

No.
duns0014 wrote:2. is it based off 1.2.1 or 1.3?

I think Minotaur should be based on the latest version, like Phoenix.
duns0014 wrote:3. is it safe to assume there's no bugs here not in mozilla?

Probably yes. probably no. ;-)
Phoenity http://phoenity.com/
You should follow me on Twitter here http://twitter.com/cheeaun
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

As of right now it is nothing more or less than the mail-and-news component of Mozilla, without the browser. That will change in the future.
willll

Post by willll »

Neil Parks wrote:As of right now it is nothing more or less than the mail-and-news component of Mozilla, without the browser. That will change in the future.
I wish people would stop saying that. Minotaur, at the moment, has customizeable toolbars, much cooler icons, and no dropdown arrow next to the getmessages button. It also removes some mozilla legacy elements. By the way, according to the website, "Development is currently occurring on our 0.1 branch which was recently created from the Mozilla 1.3 branch on March 12th, 2003." I believe the plan is to move the project to the trunk (like Phoenix), after 0.1 is released.
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

willll wrote:Minotaur, at the moment, has customizeable toolbars, much cooler icons...
Sounds awesome, willll! You also seem to be the one "in the know," so...would I be able to run Minotaur side-by-side with my Mozilla Mail client? I'b be interested in seeing and testing it, but Mozilla Mail is my regular client and in my situation (several domain accounts), I need a stable e-mail client.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
ckjnigel

Minotaur + MozMail

Post by ckjnigel »

I gotta suspect there can be unforeseen interactions akin to the occasional problems that arise when Netscape 6, 7+ coexist with Mozilla. & it is development stage, though surely deserving more than a 0.1 version number.
But, numbering systems mystify me ... in the Linux world projects seem to approach 1.0 as an asymptotic limit never to be attained lest the coders be bereft of their work.
jackson

Re: Minotaur + MozMail

Post by jackson »

ckjnigel wrote: in the Linux world projects seem to approach 1.0 as an asymptotic limit never to be attained lest the coders be bereft of their work.

yeah, no kidding. Also, I don't understand this pre-alpha crap. I was always under the impression that if there is code, it's in alpha...let alone if there's a build!
rockin' out in the plains since 1994!
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

What does it have that Cocoa Mail.app doesn't have?
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Darn, isn't for Mac. Oh well, I hate multi-platform apps that don't concentrate on one OS :-/
DamianMoran

Post by DamianMoran »

Why is it such a large download? Almost the size of complete Mozilla.
shill

Post by shill »

DamianMoran wrote:Why is it such a large download? Almost the size of complete Mozilla.

Because it just started. They probably haven't cut anything out yet (give them a break, it's not even 0.1 yet!). Just like when Phoenix was just starting.
mscott

Re: Different profile

Post by mscott »

jedbro wrote:Is there a command line to get it to open a profile that is not the default?
(like in mozilla/Phx, -P "NAME")
? Cheers

You should be able to open a profile that is not the default just like you would in Mozilla. i.e -P "Name". Let me know if that is not working for you. Also you can force the profile manager up via -ProfileManager