MozillaZine

minotaur!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
noririty

User avatar
 
Posts: 58
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:23 am
Location: Japan

Post Posted March 28th, 2003, 9:04 pm

<a href="http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/noririty/">noririty</a>

old Neil Parks
Moderator
 
Posts: 0
Joined: December 31st, 1969, 5:00 pm

Post Posted March 29th, 2003, 7:31 pm

noririty wrote:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/minotaur/


Don't get your hopes up too high. The initial release of Minotaur that you'll find there is nothing more or less than the mail-and-news component of Mozilla without the browser. That will, of course, change in the future as the new mail pgm begins to take on its own personality, but it hasn't happened yet.

asa

User avatar
 
Posts: 684
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 4:16 pm
Location: CA

Post Posted March 29th, 2003, 9:59 pm

Neil Parks wrote:
noririty wrote:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/minotaur/


Don't get your hopes up too high. The initial release of Minotaur that you'll find there is nothing more or less than the mail-and-news component of Mozilla without the browser. That will, of course, change in the future as the new mail pgm begins to take on its own personality, but it hasn't happened yet.


Not really. Scott and Kerz have done some considerable work to make it more than just Mail without the browser. They've cleaned up the menus and toolbars, implemented customizable toolbars and made initial performance improvements.

--Asa

ckjnigel
 
Posts: 285
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 12:37 am

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 12:01 am

My initial impressions are very favorable. There did seem to be some confusion in how it picked up accounts from MozMail, but, once I ditched MyRealBox, things went well. (BTW, do others find Mrb-IMAP relentlessly horked?) I monitor GDI on this WinMe laptop and can see it seems quite frugal there. (Phoenix still seems leaky, though.)
And, it was only yesterday that I started experimenting with stunnel batch files for making XNews and 40tudeDialog connect to the secnews.netscape server. (Got stunnel 3 versions to work, but not 4+). Minotaur is a lot easier!
This really is a big boost to Phoenix. I'd taken to using three different mail clients for different accounts: Mulberry, OE and AOL Communicator. And none of them really does it right...
I suppose there'll be a Minotaur wish list section soon, but I'll say that my first and foremost is RSS reading. A guy at dynamicobjects.com has a Java mail/PIM/RSS client I played with, but the last I couldnt make work. (But a noble project, IMHO!)
My compliments and thanks to Kerz and Scott!

ceovsenik
 
Posts: 24
Joined: November 7th, 2002, 9:12 pm

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 1:49 am

bah no linux =(

larrybpsu
 
Posts: 249
Joined: March 30th, 2003, 6:46 am
Location: Uniontown PA USA

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 7:04 am

I spent an hour last night dl'ing the Windows build. It was worth every second of dialup time. :)

It picked up my NS 7.02 profile, minus NS/AOL's webmail :(, caught all of my email accounts, news servers, and away I went. I haven't been using Mozilla 1.3, so this is my first experience with the new Junk mail filters and they are AWESOME! Finally, I don't have to sort out all the SPAM that I receive on a regular basis.

I'm using Px nightly's on the web side, and it's nice to click on a link in Minotaur, and Px pops up with the web page.

I might actually uninstall NS 7.02.

Keep up the great work! At my office, I'm looking for SOMETHING to replace Eudora for our mail client. So far, Minotaur is the ONLY app on my list!

OT: Will Minotaur be getting it's own fourm SOON?

dacovale

User avatar
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: March 19th, 2003, 6:14 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 9:13 am

stupid question: Why are there two exe's?

One named Minotaur and one named Firebird.
I'm nice

ccoma

User avatar
 
Posts: 26
Joined: March 30th, 2003, 8:57 am
Location: berlin [germany]

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 10:11 am

dacovale wrote:stupid question: Why are there two exe's?

One named Minotaur and one named Firebird.


actually thunderbird, not firebird !

but I have another question:
Is it possbile to run minotaur without a present mozilla-mail profile ?
At least minotaur doesn't show up on my machine...

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:18 am
Location: London

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 10:21 am

larrybpsu wrote:OT: Will Minotaur be getting it's own fourm SOON?


Yes. Maybe several.
Alex

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:18 am
Location: London

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 10:22 am

ccoma wrote:
dacovale wrote:stupid question: Why are there two exe's?

One named Minotaur and one named Firebird.


actually thunderbird, not firebird !


The reason for the two executables is because the project combines both the old Minotaur and Thunderbird efforts. They'll probably settle on one soon.

<strong>Edit:</strong> Spellings. I used to be able to edit stuff without anyone ever knowing. Now the world can find out about my spelling mistakes.
Last edited by Alex Bishop on March 30th, 2003, 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex

tolremeno

User avatar
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: March 16th, 2003, 7:37 pm
Location: Tennessee

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 10:26 am

haha, so right now we can choose if we prefer it to be called minotaur or thunderbird. :)

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 11:59 am

Alex Bishop wrote:<strong>Edit:</strong> Spellings. I used to be able to edit stuff without anyone ever knowing. Now the world can find out about my spelling mistakes.

How come? What has changed?

tve
Moderator
 
Posts: 3275
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 12:07 pm
Location: Federal Republic of Germany

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 12:09 pm

djst wrote:
Alex Bishop wrote:<strong>Edit:</strong> Spellings. I used to be able to edit stuff without anyone ever knowing. Now the world can find out about my spelling mistakes.

How come? What has changed?

because tolremeno replied before Alex was done with his edit.. if there's no reply, phpBB doesnt add a "edited by..." line.
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>

chipi
 
Posts: 35
Joined: December 26th, 2002, 4:19 am
Location: Israel

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 1:30 pm

It's nice,
I just miss the themes :)

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:18 am
Location: London

Post Posted March 30th, 2003, 3:40 pm

tve wrote:
djst wrote:
Alex Bishop wrote:<strong>Edit:</strong> Spellings! I used to be able to edit stuff without anyone ever knowing. Now the world can find out about my spelling mistakes.

How come? What has changed?

because tolremeno replied before Alex was done with his edit.. if there's no reply, phpBB doesnt add a "edited by..." line.


I used to be able to edit whenever I liked without the "Edited by..." line ever appearing. One of the advantages of being an admin. Now I can't but I can still edit other people's posts without any evidence being left behind.
Alex

Return to Thunderbird General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests