Eudora Pet Peeves

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
badger

Eudora Pet Peeves

Post by badger »

It would be great to move away from Eudora, which I paid for but am now regretting it. Eudora has some really annoying quirks and is really starting to bug me.

1. it doesn't download all messages as unread. I frequently run mail programs on two computers (work and home) and want all mail I didn't DL during the day to be marked as unread when I DL them when I get home. Now I just don't read my email at work, which is a bummer. OE did it just fine, but Eudora doesn't.

2. Send Mail short cut is CTRL-E, while OE and Outlook (what we use at work) is CTRL-ENTER which is what I am used to. I want to be able to customize that.

3. No themes. silly and vain I know, but its important.

there are more, but those are my top 3.
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

I'm using Eudora Pro 5.2 too, but the problems you mentioned don't bug me that much. In fact, is Minotaur even themable now? Clicking on "Get Themes" just brings you to Mozilla theme sites - nothing Minotaur specific. I'm wondering how I'd install Mozilla themes onto Minotaur. The default Minotaur theme sorta sucks too, Mozilla Mail's got a pretty good default theme though...

Also, I've read that Minotaur's spam filtering is statistical, which means there's a certain amount of intelligence to it, as opposed to Eudora's hard filtering based on keywords. So far I've got like a page full of Eudora filters just to filter out maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the spam I have...the first time I started up Mozilla Mail and checked my mail, it downloaded 4 messages from my 3 accounts, and 3 of the 4 are correctly identified as junk mail. Very impressive for a statistical algorithm running for the very first time! Does Mozilla Mail have a base statistics/history or something that allowed it to pick up the junk mail? I would've thought it would start off at ground zero - no filtering at all.
ccoma

Post by ccoma »

@galapagos

from the <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8229">minotaur & themes</a>- thread this might help you with your theme-problem:

RickyM wrote:You can get a theme to work in this by setting the mail start page to a page containing the javascript install link for a mozilla theme that skins mail (making sure you've enabled JavaScript) - Then just click the link and select the theme, reboot and it's there!

I've tried it with breeze (http://www.ba.wakwak.com/~king/web/xul/breeze_en.html), but in theory it should work with any of the moz themes from http://themes.mozdev.org/

It worked perfectly fine for me, the only drawback is that nearly no theme looks appropriate in minotaur. Try the Orbit-Themes they should work. Generally all 1.4a/b compatible themes.

Good luck,

ccoma
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

Well I tried that on Orbit 3+1, set my Minotaur start page to http://themes.mozdev.org/themes/orbit.html then clicked on "Install!" and all that came up was a blank IE window(IE! Now even Phoenix, my default browser, or Moz!)
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

Well I tried that on Orbit 3+1, set my Minotaur start page to http://themes.mozdev.org/themes/orbit.html then clicked on "Install!" and all that came up was a blank IE window(IE! Now even Phoenix, my default browser, or Moz!)
ccoma

Post by ccoma »

galapogos wrote:Well I tried that on Orbit 3+1, set my Minotaur start page to http://themes.mozdev.org/themes/orbit.html then clicked on "Install!" and all that came up was a blank IE window(IE! Now even Phoenix, my default browser, or Moz!)

You have to copy the reference behind the install-link and set it as the mail start page and it'll work !

Orbit 3+1 for example:

javascript:InstallTrigger.installChrome(InstallTrigger.SKIN, 'http://downloads.mozdev.org/themes/themes/morbit-1_3-20030316.jar', 'Orbit 3+1 0.0.7 M12:m13:trunk:px')
nard

Post by nard »

galapogos wrote:I'm using Eudora Pro 5.2 too, but the problems you mentioned don't bug me that much. In fact, is Minotaur even themable now? Clicking on "Get Themes" just brings you to Mozilla theme sites - nothing Minotaur specific. I'm wondering how I'd install Mozilla themes onto Minotaur. The default Minotaur theme sorta sucks too, Mozilla Mail's got a pretty good default theme though...

Also, I've read that Minotaur's spam filtering is statistical, which means there's a certain amount of intelligence to it, as opposed to Eudora's hard filtering based on keywords. So far I've got like a page full of Eudora filters just to filter out maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the spam I have...the first time I started up Mozilla Mail and checked my mail, it downloaded 4 messages from my 3 accounts, and 3 of the 4 are correctly identified as junk mail. Very impressive for a statistical algorithm running for the very first time! Does Mozilla Mail have a base statistics/history or something that allowed it to pick up the junk mail? I would've thought it would start off at ground zero - no filtering at all.

You're doing something wrong. Varzil's method definitely works. Delete your Minotaur directory and start clean. Follow these instructions exactly, excluding the part about extracting the *.jar file from the *.xpi, as you're probably going to start off with a *.jar file in the first place.

"First, I downloaded Orbit 3+1.
Then, I used winzip to extract the morbit-1_3-20030316.jar from the .xpi.
Next I extracted the files from morbit-1_3-20030316.jar to C:\Minotaur\chrome\classic\skin\classic

Next, I copied the \skin\classic to the root of the drive.
Next I zipped it up.
I renamed the skin.zip to classic.jar
I then replaced the original classic.jar in the chrome folder with the one I just made. When I started my browser, orbit was now the skin I was using.

It sticks and unless you re-install Minotaur, it will be the default skin.

One thing that I have not had time to track yet is the icon for the address book. It does not show up. Also, the buttons are a little offset. But all in all, it is better than the "classic" skin."

I recommend using the Orbit Retro theme, as it seems to work the most completely. Not every Mozilla theme will work along with Minotaur (at least not with this method of installation) so you may encounter some problems. Good luck.
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

Never mind, I got it to install by having the Install link as my start page. It doesn't install over the Classic theme too, but it doesn't stick.