Slow...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
zengiman

Slow...

Post by zengiman »

Have to say didn't like Thunderbird a lot when I tried it, first as the Mozilla mailclient, later as Minotaur and now with that ridiculous new name. But because I loved Px that much (stupid new name to BTW) I stuck with it and now I start to like it a lot. Especially the customize toolbar feature and the filters. Great!!
Now the main thing I still miss is the quickness of Px, Thunderbird still feels sluggish like hell.
Will this change when we get out of the alpha stadium?
tve

Re: Slow...

Post by tve »

zengiman wrote:Will this change when we get out of the alpha stadium?

I guess so.

I agree it feels very sluggish at the moment.. especially annoying when it was minimized for a while, it always takes some seconds (10-20) until it's fully "restored" and usable again.. the menu does also feel kinda slow. but the rest is ok so far, seeing as it isnt even in 0.1 stage.
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
rom

Post by rom »

Firebird behaves the same way. It takes too long for it to "warm up" to be usable again. And my machine is not the slowest in the world (1.4 GHz 512 MB laptop).
none13

Post by none13 »

I think once they move to new toolkit, it will get faster.

(From "Long Term Todo list:)

-Once we are synched up with the trunk, we are going to move to the new toolkit and follow the UI practices of Phoenix.
rom

Post by rom »

But Phoenix is slow too! How would Thuderbird's use of the new toolkit (I assume you mean the one used by Phoenix) make it faster?
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

I don't know what option you've screwed up, but for me, Phoenix (Now Mozilla Firebird) is only very slightly slower than IE. In fact, a fresh installation with no plugins will start instantly for me. Once the Palm Sync work is ported to Thunderbird, I'll finally be dumping the Mozilla suite.
GordMcFee

Re: Slow...

Post by GordMcFee »

zengiman wrote:Have to say didn't like Thunderbird a lot when I tried it, first as the Mozilla mailclient, later as Minotaur and now with that ridiculous new name. But because I loved Px that much (stupid new name to BTW) I stuck with it and now I start to like it a lot. Especially the customize toolbar feature and the filters. Great!!
Now the main thing I still miss is the quickness of Px, Thunderbird still feels sluggish like hell.
Will this change when we get out of the alpha stadium?

I don't know if it's just me, but I have found no way to customize the toolbar or even change themes. May just be my denseness.
Gord McFee