Is the current release stable enough for daily use? (REPOST)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
DuneMessiah

Is the current release stable enough for daily use? (REPOST)

Post by DuneMessiah »

I currently use Mozilla Mail 1.4 Alpha.
I would like to upgrade to Thunderbird, unless it's going to make my life a misery.

Is anyone already using Thunderbird on a daily basis?
Does it crash often?
Have you lost or missed emails because of it?
What type of problems have you encountered?

Regards,

DM
T_Moz

Post by T_Moz »

I hate to tell you this, but the answer is no. Thunderbird has not presently achieved a 0.1 release. The only builds are nightlies. I would not use thunderbird completely <b>yet</b> as the builds are expierencing rapid development. Once you start seeing releases, however, then it will be stable enough for normal use. Keep on with Mozilla 1.4a until there is a 0.1 release unless you are willing to re download the nightly builds every few days.
<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/" title="Get Firefox - Web Browsing Redefined">
Get firefox</a>
tve

Post by tve »

I use TB as default mail client and newsgroup reader - it's usable.. you can receive, read and send messages. yep. ;)

no mails lost yet, fairly stable, but it sometimes doesnt seem to remember certain settings and behaves weird from time to time.

if you dont "have to have it now" and can wait a bit longer, wait for 0.1
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
mscott

Post by mscott »

I'm of course biased =). I use it as my dailly mail client.

It is going to be just as stable as the Mozilla 1.4 trunk since it's the inherently the same code.

No crashes. No email loss.
Thunderbirds are Go!
darksheer

Post by darksheer »

I've started to use it more and more over the past few days.

The UI hurts my head...but it's not too bad. :)
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

I use it too. Yes, it's weird sometimes but no, it hasn't lost any data. Thanks for your efforts, mscott.

BTW, how can you be a Minotaur Man? One is either a minotaur or a man. Or do you have some sort of unequal man-heavy, atypical minotaurian body style?
mscott

Post by mscott »

Spewey wrote:I use it too. Yes, it's weird sometimes but no, it hasn't lost any data. Thanks for your efforts, mscott.

BTW, how can you be a Minotaur Man? One is either a minotaur or a man. Or do you have some sort of unequal man-heavy, atypical minotaurian body style?

ROFL. I guess it's just a throw back title to the days when we were known as Minotaur and not Thunderbird Mail....

thanks for the good laugh.
Thunderbirds are Go!
djst

Post by djst »

I've been using it as my default client since the first Minotaur build. I experienced a few crashes with the first builds but the latest 3-4 ones haven't crashed once yet. As Scott says, this is really a lot like Mozilla Mail when it comes to stability.
alruiz

Post by alruiz »

I could use it as my default mail, but my machine doesn't have that much RAM and at the moment the program uses around 20MB on the first run, minimized uses 1.6MB and if I maximize it again it uses around 8MB and growing up to around 15MB. My default email uses 4MB maximized at most.
Is there any estimation about the RAM footprint taht thunderbird will use finally developed? I hope its less than now...

Alex
uggi

Post by uggi »

I've been using the 2003-04-16 build for a week now. Problems? None! The only thing I don't like is when clicking a link from the Thunderbird, it doesn't open a new Firebird window, it just uses an existing one.
T_Moz

Post by T_Moz »

When will we see linux builds? I keep getting seg. faults when I try to build :(
<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/" title="Get Firefox - Web Browsing Redefined">
Get firefox</a>
tve

Post by tve »

uggi wrote:I've been using the 2003-04-16 build for a week now. Problems? None! The only thing I don't like is when clicking a link from the Thunderbird, it doesn't open a new Firebird window, it just uses an existing one.

try this: http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html#beh_reuse
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
uggi

Post by uggi »

Arctic Dragon

Post by Arctic Dragon »

I usually check my mail with Sylpheed for Linux, but when I use Windows, I check my mail with Thunderbird. It has yet to crash on me, nor have I lost any data. Impressive for a pre-0.1 release. The only downside is the slow start-up time.

I think Thunderbird will turn out to be a great product. :)
BT_Justice

Post by BT_Justice »

I myself am EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS with my e-mail. I have e-mail going back to 1996. You can use good, common sense and not lose any e-mail. I won't use Thunderbird until it hits 0.1 for everyday use. I use Outlook Express for my e-mail since it is reliable (I know viruses and worms target it but if you use good antivirus software like F-Prot For Windows you won't have to worry about this).

I also make a folder directly on my C:\ drive called "E-mail" and then make subfolders. I have "Outlook Express", "Netscape", "Mozilla", and did have "Thunderbird" in it. If you try an e-mail program, import e-mail, and find it isn't good enough for everyday use or it sucks, uninstall it then go to the corresponding e-mail folder and delete the folder.

If you try Thunderbird, I would also tell it to leave messages on the server and then open Outlook Express so they go there too so you don't lose them if something happens.

BTJustice