Empty Trash Folder menu Item

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
joe935

Empty Trash Folder menu Item

Post by joe935 »

In Thunderbird V94.0b4, Some times the Empty Trash menu item is greyed out some times its not.
But unless the Trash folder is being displayed the folder does not get emptied when the option is clicked.
Unless the trash folder is displayed the option to Empty Folder should always be greyed out!
Don't force it, Use a bigger Hammer!
WaltS48

Re: Empty Trash Folder menu Item

Post by WaltS48 »

You are referring to the Menu bar File > Empty Trash menu item, or the Menu button > Empty Trash item?
The menu Item isn't disabled when you select a folder in the Folder Pane that isn't Trash ?
There are items in an account's Trash folder, but with another folder selected and clicking the active Empty Trash, the Trash folder doesn't get emptied?

I see "Emptied Trash" in the Status bar when I do that.

The only place I see File > Empty Trash disabled is with my newsgroup accounts groups, where messages are deleted immediately without being moved to a Trash folder.

Just deleted a couple of messages from my main account's Inbox.
Checked that they were in the Trash folder.
Selected the Inbox again.
Used File > Empty Trash, saw the "Emptied Trash" in the Status bar.
Checked the Trash folder and it was emptied.

Tested using 94.0b4 on Fedora 34 Linux, and also see the same using the 91.2.1 release version.

I'd suggest using Help > Troubleshoot Mode to see if an extension is causing an issue with your email accounts seeing a disabled Empty Trash.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
joe935

Post by joe935 »

I am referring to the FILE dropdown menu item "empty trash"

If you click "empty trash" on the file dropdown menu item and do not have the trash folder displayed, the trash folder is not cleared.
Maybe it works differently in Linus. I have win 10 21H1 .
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

Seeems to depend on your account settings for the mail server delete settings - it disappears when you tick the "delete immediately" radio button.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
joe935

Post by joe935 »

I am not talking about emails on the mail server.
I am talking about a message deleted from the in box and it goes into the Trash folder
If you click FILE > Empty Trash, messages will not be deleted unless the TRASH folder is opened.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

joe935 wrote:I am not talking about emails on the mail server.
I am talking about a message deleted from the in box and it goes into the Trash folder
If you click FILE > Empty Trash, messages will not be deleted unless the TRASH folder is opened.
Seeing the same on the beta channel (v94 and v95) on a Windows machine using both the "empty" instruction from the menu and the Xpunge add-on. Most accounts as POP bringing down messages to the global inbox and deleting them from the server and one IMAP account which has a filter to bring the messages to a folder in the Local Folders section and then delete them from the server so all deleted items go to the Deleted folder (UK English) in the Local Folders tree.

It's taken me this long to work out what is happening and realise that this thread is the same problem!
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

There is a further problem in regard to clearing out the Deleted folder which I have now identified. I haven't managed to tie down the actual sequence of events but in many cases, focussing on and emptying the Deleted folder in my local folders is not emptying the Deleted file in my profile. Using the Repair Folder option from the folder properties or closing and re-loading Thunderbird brings back the expunged e-mails from the Deleted file in the profile. I think that focussing on the Deleted folder in the main TB window and emptying it again clears out the profile file at the second attempt but can't be certain that it works every time.

Is anyone else seeing anything similar?