2003-05-08 Windows Build Available (Spell Checking)

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

2003-05-08 Windows Build Available (Spell Checking)

Post by mscott »

You can find a new windows build here:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 5-08-trunk

There are two builds to choose from so read carefully:

The regular build contains the following improvements:
1) The system tray icon for biff is back. No more yellow triangle.
2) Fixed some issues with customizing the mail compose toolbar
3) Collapsed pippki.jar and pippnss.jar (crypto stuff) into mail.jar
4) Many trunk fixes including coveted Bug #22994 (preventing spammers from using cookies) and
remembering your chosen mail view across sessions

The second build (the larger one) also includes an integrated spell checker! I have integrated the MozDev SpellChecker (http://spellchecker.mozdev.org/) into the release. Unfortunately, the dictionary adds adds some 200K to the download size. You should see a spell button in the mail compose toolbar which will spell check the message. Go to Tools / Options if you always want the spell checker to check the document before sending.

Known Issues:
-----------------
1) I'm running into a crash when I attempt to customize a toolbar. When you hit Done in the custom toolbar dialog, it crashes. Not sure why yet. Loooks like a trunk issue.

Enjoy,
-Scott
Last edited by mscott on May 15th, 2003, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
GordMcFee

Latest build

Post by GordMcFee »

Many thanks for the spellchecker. Lousy typists like me need one. This baby is starting to look real good.
Gord McFee
Username

Post by Username »

Nice build. The spellchecker is a great addition.

As an FYI, the "Customize Toolbar" option crashes for me (Win2K) under quite a few scenarios, among them:

1. First customization, starting from the standard toolbar settings: I moved the "File" button to the slot to the right of the "Stop" button. Immediate crash. Restarted Tbird and tried it again. Immediate crash. (Rinsed and repeated about 3 times, always resulted in an immediate crash.)

2. Restarted Tbird and I was able to put the "File" and "Next" buttons, along with a "Separator" and a "Flexible Space" just to the left of the "Reply" button. This worked fine. Hit "Done" and it worked fine. When I went back to "Customize Toolbar" and tried to remove them, Tbird crashed after I completed the "Drag'n'Drop" motion. Each time I restart Tbird and try to remove them, Tbird crashed.

3. If I don't try to move anything, but just click "Done", Tbird never crashes for me. I can continue to add things to the toolbar and click "Done" and it never crashes. Granted, I've only been playing with this for about 15 minutes. :-)

Also, regarding Bug # 22994 (prevent spammers from using cookies). I read the bug report and I'm assuming this fix didn't cover the "Loading of remote images" part of how spammers get valid e-mail addresses: e.g. if the image is loaded from the server, the e-mail address is considered valid. (I'm also assuming this because my e-mail still loads remote images.) :-)

All in all, shaping up very nicely!
anand

Post by anand »

Ahem...

thunderbird-win23.zip

? :)
nilson

Post by nilson »

Is there going to be an every-other-day release cycle? By the way, I like the fact that a lot of work gets done in a short period of time.
ann-dee-roo

Post by ann-dee-roo »

Will Thunderbird implement an "Extension" feature similar to Firebird eventually? If so then a Spell Checker would make a great one.
nilson

Post by nilson »

From my understanding, yes. Thunderbird would also be themable, but the proposed interface is still foggy, since you cant just browse to a site in Thunderbird and pick up a "new set of feathers" :) (theme).
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

anand wrote:Ahem...

thunderbird-win23.zip

Haha! I'm downloading it now and I didn't even notice that, but yeah its misspelled...they need to change that :)
none13

Post by none13 »

galapogos wrote:
anand wrote:Ahem...

thunderbird-win23.zip

Haha! I'm downloading it now and I didn't even notice that, but yeah its misspelled...they need to change that :)

Seeing how the spellchecker build is not misspelled, it might be an allusion to the other build's shortcomings... :)
none13

Post by none13 »

ann-dee-roo wrote:Will Thunderbird implement an "Extension" feature similar to Firebird eventually? If so then a Spell Checker would make a great one.

Extensions are definately planned. I am not sure what the consensus is on the spell checker extension vs. built-in. It seems like a pretty basic feature that many people could (or rather should) use. On the other hand, we <i>could</i> go the way of the C language, and just provide the bare essentials...
buckminster

Post by buckminster »

Until installation of extensions are available, I'm glad to see spellchecker available as an optional build. It was the only Mail related extension I used when I was using Mozilla.
sgbouwhu

Post by sgbouwhu »

Is it somehow possible to use another dictionary with the built-in spellechecker? And how?
tve

Post by tve »

hmm, just noticed that my UA string says I'm using 2003<b>0506</b>... yes, I have upgraded ;)

(build without spell checker)

noticed no other 'problems' so far, besides the already known ones..
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

How do you check your UA string, since there isn't a Help->About?
tve

Post by tve »

galapogos wrote:How do you check your UA string, since there isn't a Help->About?

it's displayed in the headers of an email/newsgroup message (the part above the message), but only if you select to view "all" headers from View > Headers..

(you can also add <tt>user_pref("mailnews.headers.showUserAgent", true);</tt> to your user.js, this will display the UA string in the "normal" mode as well)
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>