towards Thunderbird 1.0 ...

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
BenneJezzerette

Road to Thunderbird 1.0

Post by BenneJezzerette »

Lets see several bug fixes, adjustments and fixes. Looks on track for a release date. Hope they are able to maintain the Address book settings and Format of the messaging. so far it looks as though they are doing a great job. One feature of the Import settings, anyone else here ever hear of "Incredimail"? If so it would be nice to see an Import E-Mail from that program so as it is installed and first run, it can get all the e-mails from both OLE and IM. I personally do not use it but my grandmother does and I am trying to wean her from IM off to TB and just installed TB 0.9.0+ and added a few things for it to work good. She may not use it though, because she seems to like that Incredimail XE "Welcome" as it loads. Maybe nah, that is not a good idea, just the import from IM so I can get rid of IM off her system.
Vista Home Premium 64 AMD 9950 Quad Core + 8GB DDR2 1066 1x500GB 1X750GB Partitioned 1X1TB MSI GTX260 896
Firefox Safe Browsing - Pocomail Safe E-Mail from Script Kitties
True Internet Surfing + E-Mail not Junk
batboy3500

Post by batboy3500 »

Thunderbird 1.0 now scheduled for release in second week of December. Looking good !
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

woo hoo, what a birthday present!!

Help MozillaZine: Donate! or Buy Something!
BenneJezzerette

Post by BenneJezzerette »

Is it really??? Woohoo I hope you are right!! If so can't wait!!!
Vista Home Premium 64 AMD 9950 Quad Core + 8GB DDR2 1066 1x500GB 1X750GB Partitioned 1X1TB MSI GTX260 896
Firefox Safe Browsing - Pocomail Safe E-Mail from Script Kitties
True Internet Surfing + E-Mail not Junk
amano

Post by amano »

batboy3500 wrote:Thunderbird 1.0 now scheduled for release in second week of December. Looking good !

Who tells you that?
batboy3500

Post by batboy3500 »

Its been reported in several other threads.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cn ... tscape.com for example

(EDIT: I was looking for a good excuse to bump the progress graph up a bit before it disappeared of the front page...)
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I don't see the graph. :-)
batboy3500

Post by batboy3500 »

sasquatch wrote:I don't see the graph. :-)

the graph at the start of THIS thread
sasquatch

Re: towards Thunderbird 1.0 ...

Post by sasquatch »

sensemann wrote:There have been several people asking me to make a graph like I do for Firefox... here it is.

just wanted to bring the graph to the current page
eddanx

Post by eddanx »

An update? The graph is almost a week old :)
fishbert

Post by fishbert »

He was just copying it to this page... not updating it.
ad noiseam

Post by ad noiseam »

Maybe a bit off topic, but...
Thunderbird is a great piece of software. It works quite well, and I'll keep using it. But do you really think that it is ready for a 1.0 version? I am afraid that there are a few features that might be needed (and, yes, the feature forum is flooded with people who ask for all sorts of things, but some might actually be worth listening to) and there are still some pretty nasty things that need improvement (for example, the RSS thingie is probably too rough for some people).
The question is, as good as TB is right now, can one expect somebody who doesn't know his way around it (meaning who comes from another software and has no idea about extensions and all this) to be happy with it? Shouldn't TB be improved more before it goes to the general public (and once again, this is not a TB flaming post, I like this software).
Birdy27

Post by Birdy27 »

We're getting close to 1.0,

besides what I wrote in "a Musthave for 1.0" I want to add, that in contrary to firefox, Thunderbird does not have something like "about:config" and installing extension is also not so easy.

I think to make Thunderbird really a killer application these problems must be solved.

Here are possible soutions for there Programs:
about:config could be implemebnted through a external HTML file, that is opend in the default browser when I click on Preferences->Advanced->All (or something like that).
The extension installing could be made easier,
a) by giving it an extension that is linked to Thunbderbird
b) giving it a mime/type that is opened by Thunderbird
c) having at least firefox recognize Thunderbird-Extensions and allowes to install them automatically.

(all of course with security questions)

I hope this helps MAKING THUNDERBIRD THE GREATEST MAIL-APP!

Greetings from germany
Christoph
Birdy27

Post by Birdy27 »

[quote="ad noiseam"]Thunderbird is a great piece of software. It works quite well, and I'll keep using it. But do you really think that it is ready for a 1.0 version? [/quote]

I only want to second that point. I too think, that thunderbird does NOT included everything that should be their in basic.
With the virtual searchfolders it has one killer feature on hand, but there is still things missing to make it work smoth (like "about:config", "repairing profile" and there a lot of unconfiremd bugs).

Greetings
Christoph
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

Unfortunately Sensemann does not seem to have been around since his last update on the 17th. A graph update would be nice...
...Going to play FarmVille ...At least my Black sheep love me.
Scratch that... The crops are wilted, the fruit are rotting on the trees and the sheep have run away.
Toronto International Film Festival