Nightlies?

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
ann-dee-roo

Nightlies?

Post by ann-dee-roo »

I hate asking those "When will [noun] be [verbed]", but when will nightlies start being released? Will we have to wait until after a 0.1 milestone? If so, what's the projected date for a 0.1 milestone?
mscott

Re: Nightlies?

Post by mscott »

ann-dee-roo wrote:I hate asking those "When will [noun] be [verbed]", but when will nightlies start being released? Will we have to wait until after a 0.1 milestone? If so, what's the projected date for a 0.1 milestone?

This question gets asked every week =). There will not be nightly builds any time in the near future. I have to hand roll every windows build. This is a small project (I'm the only developer) and I don't have exra machines laying around which can build nightlies. I wish folks would stop asking me about this. Takes me away from trying to work on thunderbird =).

Don and Andre do a great job of making Mac and Linux builds available which they too are doing by hand.

Hopefully if the project becomes successful and grows in attention, machines that could automatically generate nightly builds will be contributed by mozilla.org.
Thunderbirds are Go!
ann-dee-roo

Post by ann-dee-roo »

Ok, well in that case what can I do to help other than the usual bug reports? I have little C/C++ experience but I am fairly talented with w3 technologies.
DizzyWeb

Post by DizzyWeb »

But, if Thunderbird is to become the main mail client of Mozilla, it'll need more support, now wouldn't it?
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

I was actually trying to set up a nightly build system, but I can't get my compiler to work... So help me and you shall have your nightlies :)

Not even dmose knows whats wrong...
andred

Post by andred »

Remember that we provide builds basically as soon as something interesting has landed in Thunderbird.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

yes, well... we want nightlies :)

Just like the other bird
DizzyWeb

Post by DizzyWeb »

The other bird has so much work being done on, that nightlies on daily basis (that looks stupid :D) are more logical. For TB it would be a little strange, it happens quite often that no work is done at all over a day, so there would be nightlies with no diferences whatsoever...
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

I'm willing to build the nightlies, I just need someone to help me fix my cygwin&MingW environment
DizzyWeb

Post by DizzyWeb »

Don't count on me, I've been failing miserably on all attempts to build Firebird or Thunderbird :|
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

haha, yeah... I've built the dist (finally), but the thunderbird.exe file has some strange behavior... All described in another topic
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

One step closer, got it all compiled and working

Someone please help me with this

I get the following when trying to run thunderbird.exe in dist/bin/

Code: Select all

C:\MozillaBuild\mozilla\dist\bin>thunderbird
Type Manifest File: C:\MozillaBuild\mozilla\dist\bin\components\xpti.dat
nsNativeComponentLoader: autoregistering begins.
nsNativeComponentLoader: autoregistering succeeded
nNCL: registering deferred (0)
WARNING: Trying to set pref offline.news.download.use_days to with the wrong typ
e!, file c:/MozillaBuild/mozilla/modules/libpref/src/prefapi.cpp, line 966
*** Chrome Registration of package: Checking for contents.rdf at jar:resource:/c
hrome/comm.jar!/content/necko/
and then it dumps:

Code: Select all

Program-popup: XPCOM:EventReceiver: thunderbird.exe - Application-error: Instruction at "0x016b70b6" referred memory at "0x0623488c". Memory could not "written".

PS. I get the same error when running regchrome.exe
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

dmose helped me find the problem, I'm respinning win32 now... and then lets hope it's bloody working this time
sunnydayjj

Post by sunnydayjj »

I prefer the current system over nightlies. I don't have to go read the forums and see what people are saying about the latest nightly, I just wait until a new build is posted on the project page and I know someone actually built it and tried it, so it shouldn't suck too much. :)

And incidentally, it doesn't suck much at all. It's very very good. Excellent work, guys. (guy?)
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

DizzyWeb wrote:The other bird has so much work being done on, that nightlies on daily basis (that looks stupid :D) are more logical. For TB it would be a little strange, it happens quite often that no work is done at all over a day, so there would be nightlies with no diferences whatsoever...

that's not true. At the moment, there's much more being done on thunderbird than on Firebird. There have been only 2 changes in Firebird since 0.6 was released (in mid-May), and one of those was a change made by Scott MacGregor because it affected Thunderbird as well as Firebird.

The only reason Firebird nightlies aren't identical (usually) is because the Gecko stuff underneath is changing.