2003-06-11 Windows, Linux & OSX Builds Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
jedbro

Re: damn it!

Post by jedbro »

tve wrote:why not use something like <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=13194">this</a> - a built-in extensions manager :)

While that would be cool, I would suspect it would require Scott to maintain a database, and personally I would prefer he spent his time improving Thunderbird and not maintaining a database =).

Once Thunderbird allows extensions, it's trivial getting EM to work in thunderbird, and it could parse the data from the <a href="http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/er-xml.html">Extension - Room XML File</a>.
--Jed
mscott

Post by mscott »

DizzyWeb wrote:You got that right. AND.
Most of the code is copied to BOTH the css files.
Rather silly to declare thos styles in two places.

It's not silly at all. It is part of our performance work that Stephen has been working on. Overlaying XUL and CSS is a big performance hit. People complain that we are too slow of an app with loading new windows. As a result, we are collapsing a lot of these overlay files, reducing the number of CSS and XUL files that need to load in order to bring up a new window.

This behavior is natural fall out from that.

As a theme developer you don't have to do that if you don't want to. you can add your own import lines an avoid the overlay collapsing if you want.
Thunderbirds are Go!
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Thanks, "Enter" worked for getting install dialog - once theme was installed, I now see an install button - only with my theme though (preview pic is stretched - maybe has something to do with it?). The theme won't stick though.
mscott

Post by mscott »

DizzyWeb wrote:
©dn wrote:cheeaun is in an awkward time zone;
so telling him about changes, and expecting a site update in a sensible amount of time is expecting too much

he provides the art, I provide the css

The latest one I found in themes/thunderbird (0.1.1a of 11-Jun-2003 13:03) doesn't work all that well...

I've made a screenshot: http://www.dizzyweb.com/~arjen/screeny.jpg

This is my modified version of the minotaur theme: http://www.dizzyweb.com/~arjen/screeny2.jpg

Your first screen shot looks like what would happen if you tried to install a theme which was designed to replace QUTE.jar and not a theme that was designed to be installable.

There is a major difference in the folder path structure between a JAR which was written to replace the default theme and a JAR written to be installable.

If your JAR has folder paths like skins/classic/ in it then it will not work in that format if you try to install it. YOu'll end up with a build that looks just like your first screen shot.
Thunderbirds are Go!
©dn

Post by ©dn »

lynchknot wrote:... The theme won't stick though.

lynch, read the post :

mscott wrote:

Known Issues:
1) We don't remember your theme setting across sessions. The fix for this just missed the 6-11 release. I'll probably replace the windows build tomorrow with a version that has this fix. For now look in defaults\all.js and remove the line:
pref("general.skins.selectedSkin", "classic/1.0");
if this issue is a problem for you.

-Scott
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

I think we should have some way of downloading themes for Thunderbird and install them automatically, like with firebird...

There has to be some way to do this fairly easy and without getting conflicts with firebird...

Perhaps some javascript stuff?

----
Will we at some point be able to switch themes without restarting thunderbird?

---
The pane seperator is still buggy... look here: http://pub.tsn.dk/screendumps/thunderbird_theme1.png

That's how it looks on all themes :( (using win2k)
-----
cdn, love the retro theme... but the labels in the message pane is gray, while the background is blue... and the labels in Junk mail controls are still b0rked :)
Last edited by Tom Sommer on June 12th, 2003, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mscott

Post by mscott »

uggi wrote:
lynchknot wrote:I just downloaded 611 and I don't see an install theme button in the options/themes dialog.

It is there, it's just outside of the visible window area, I guess... Try hitting Tab a few times, the install button should get the focus right after the "Download new themes" link. Then just hit Enter or Space and you should get the file dialog.

Can someone post a screen shot of not being able to see the Install theme button? I found one case where this happened, when a selected theme had a really long name and streteched the window too much because of the width of the "Uninstall %s theme" button. I have a fix for that. I want to make sure there aren't any other cases that cause the install theme button to be pushed off screen.
Thunderbirds are Go!
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

ImageImage
Last edited by Tom Sommer on June 12th, 2003, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Where is " look in defaults\all.js"?
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

nilson

Post by nilson »

I think that would be [Path to Thunderbird Dir.]\defaults\pref\all.js
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

I cannot get themes to "stick." I install, exit, then restart the program, and the selected theme works, but when I exit again and restart it, it defaults back to the original theme. I'm using XP SP1.

I am excited to see how this program develops. It is very cool so far!
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

WildCelt wrote:I cannot get themes to "stick." I install, exit, then restart the program, and the selected theme works, but when I exit again and restart it, it defaults back to the original theme. I'm using XP SP1.

Read the thread
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

Damn, you're quick! I just saw that. Sorry.
mscott

Post by mscott »

Tom Sommer wrote:
WildCelt wrote:I cannot get themes to "stick." I install, exit, then restart the program, and the selected theme works, but when I exit again and restart it, it defaults back to the original theme. I'm using XP SP1.

Read the thread

I just pushed a new version of the windows build which addresses this known issue. Just redownload it and you should be good to go (once it gets pushed up to the ftp server that is).

Also, the Mac OSX build is now available thanks to Don.
Thunderbirds are Go!