TB3 "Classic" theme to restore old icon set and more...

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
zamula

TB3 "Classic" theme to restore old icon set and more...

Post by zamula »

For all of those frustrated by the GUI "improvements" in TB3 (especially those hideous new icons), I've created a theme for Windows users that adds back most of the icons from TB2, plus a couple of the new aero icons being developed for Vista. There's also a link to the new CompactHeader extension, so we don't have to endure that horrible space-waster.

TB3 Classic 1.1.7 (TB3 3.1a1 and later):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gdhx6g (TB3 Inbox/Outbox)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s8mpph (TB2 Inbox/Outbox)

TB3 Classic 1.1.5 (TB 3.0.x):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/50twy9 (TB3 Inbox/Outbox)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gwtln3 (TB2 Inbox/Outbox)

TB2 icons added back (plus a couple from the new aero theme).
Folder pane lines restored.

Latest changes:
Compatibility with 3.1b1pre (1.1.7 only)
Updated to use latest default theme changes (1.1.7 only).
Split version to use new TB3 or TB2 Inbox/Outbox icons.

Here is the thread for the continually evolving CompactHeader extension. It now has options for a 1 or 2 line header, and allows you to choose which buttons to show, with or without text. It looks great :)
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1405155

I'd appreciate all feedback and hopefully this will allow all of the TB3 testers to again enjoy one of our favorite apps! If all goes well, I'll pursue adding this to the official add-ons repository at Mozilla, but I'm not sure how long that will take...Enjoy!

For those interested in the details, all I did was take the existing theme and copy over the old icons, plus I added a line to to messageHeader.css. to import the CSS hacks from a separate file TB3Classic.css (provided below). Please note that I provide no "warranty" on this, and any new changes to the standard theme might break this one. I'll try to fix things if possible, but I only did this to make TB3 tolerable for myself again (and hopefully everyone else too).

TB3Classic.css

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

/* ::::: TB3 Classic Tweaks  ::::: */

/* ::::: Folder Pane ::::: */

/* add back tree lines*/
#folderTree > treechildren::-moz-tree-line {
  visibility: visible;
}

/* ::::: Message Thread Pane ::::: */

/* fix padding for flag column header */
treecol.flagColumnHeader {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://messenger/skin/icons/flag-col.png");
  -moz-padding-start: 2px;
  -moz-padding-end: 7px;
}

/* fix padding for attachment column header */
treecol.attachmentColumnHeader {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://messenger/skin/icons/attachment-col.png");
  -moz-padding-start: 1px;
  -moz-padding-end: 6px;
}

/* fix padding for attchment column */
treechildren::-moz-tree-image(attachmentCol, attach) {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://messenger/skin/icons/attachment.png");
}

/* fix padding for read column header */
treecol.readColumnHeader {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://messenger/skin/icons/readcol.png");
  -moz-padding-end: 6px;
}
Last edited by zamula on January 20th, 2010, 12:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.
stylo~

Re: TB3 "Classic" theme to restore old icon set and more...

Post by stylo~ »

Wow, that is so much brighter and clearer!

Love the message pane reply icon, the buttons were terrible, easy to mix up!

>>/* button hidden, but provided code for icon in case someone wants it */
.hdrArchiveButton {

Where do I find this to edit? Where can I go to edit the theme once installed? Or do I have to uninstall, edit the jar, then reinstall? I couldn't find it in the jar.

Do you think it would be good to add back in the new belt icon for the Archive button and maybe the "All mail/Archive" folder in the navigation pane? It differentiated it even though not the greatest icon. But maybe would clash with the style.

Also, the font style icons in the write window are absolutely horrific! Can those be reset too?

Thanks again!
Last edited by stylo~ on August 2nd, 2009, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...doing justice only where we praise,
because we are the branch, the iron blade,
and sweet danger, ripening from within."
zamula

Post by zamula »

Thanks for the compliments! I love TB and have gotten more involved than I even intended...

Look at the code I posted for the CSS "hacks" that change the defaults for the buttons. If you install the userchrome.js extension and stylish, you should be able to modify everything as you wish. (For example, the archive button has "display:none" set, and you should be able to override that easily. Or you could just extract everything from the jar files and edit out what you wish.) I know it's kind of a pain to get into all these techie details about the theme (and I hope the devs understand the absurdity of us having to do this), but at least you learn more about the guts of it all. Hell, I'm shocked at how much I've managed to digest over the last few weeks!

As I get more feedback, perhaps I'll post another version that keeps the archive button, and then people can get rid of it via stylish etc. Remember, I made this theme as a quickie work-around and customized it to my prefs. I highly recommend everyone who wants to change things to extract the contents of the .jar, and then you need to extract the classic.jar under the chrome directory. All of my CSS changes are at the very end of messageHeader.css (in both the regular and aero directory), and it should be fairly clear what to change to personal prefs.

In any event, this is such an on-going adventure...at some point I need to get off the merry-go-round.
stylo~

Post by stylo~ »

>>If you install the userchrome.js extension

I searched addons for userchrome and user chrome, but found nothing. ?
Mr. C.

Post by Mr. C. »

stylo~ wrote:>>If you install the userchrome.js extension

I searched addons for userchrome and user chrome, but found nothing. ?

http://userchromejs.mozdev.org/
stylo~

Post by stylo~ »

Sorry, but how do I use it to get the button back? I edit userChrome.js but... ?
-----

Update: I simply edited userChrome.css instead and put

.hdrArchiveButton {
display: block !important;
}
zamula

Post by zamula »

The more I think about it, my removal of the archive button was a decision in some ways just the same as the ones we're already complaining about. As usual, everything should be there by default, and the removal should probably be optional.

I've upped a new version with the archive button visible.
zamula

Post by zamula »

Just made another quick update to fix the padding of the "read" column, plus I separated out the CSS changes into their own file.
OffHand

Post by OffHand »

Awesome! My favorite theme already :D

The only problem I have is that the menu name of the top menu (file, edit, etc) disappears if I hover over it or select it with my mouse. The name/text blanks out.
zamula

Post by zamula »

The only problem I have is that the menu name of the top menu (file, edit, etc) disappears if I hover over it or select it with my mouse. The name/text blanks out.

Hmmm....that's very strange. Other than the mods noted on the first post, only chrome.manifest was modified in my last build since I separated out the CSS changes into a file under a directory called tb3-classic. I just now upped a new build where I restored the original order of the files in chrome.manifest, and added my new path to the end. Maybe that will fix it.

Also note that I fixed a typo in the install.rdf that will have a side-effect of causing you to get a new copy of the theme instead of overwriting the old one. I'd recommend an uninstall and restart of TB first.

If that doesn't fix your problem, it might have something to do with you being on Linux and me on XP. I don't know much about themes so I'm sort of in the dark here. Also, this is targeted for the 3.0 versions and not 3.1, so that could affect it (if you're using a 3.1 build). If all else fails you could extract the classic.jar contents in your TB directory and try to look for differences. I suppose extension conflicts could be another issue.

Some feedback from anyone else with issues would be helpful. Good luck!
zyrill

Post by zyrill »

Love your classic theme - much appreciated! My GF will be really happy, too... I almost had to reinstall TB2 because of that ugly new look... :)
dserodio

Post by dserodio »

The formatting icons in the compose window are still ugly...

OffHand

Post by OffHand »

zamula wrote:
Hmmm....that's very strange. Other than the mods noted on the first post, only chrome.manifest was modified in my last build since I separated out the CSS changes into a file under a directory called tb3-classic. I just now upped a new build where I restored the original order of the files in chrome.manifest, and added my new path to the end. Maybe that will fix it.

Also note that I fixed a typo in the install.rdf that will have a side-effect of causing you to get a new copy of the theme instead of overwriting the old one. I'd recommend an uninstall and restart of TB first.

I have reinstalled the latest versions but the problem persists.

zamula wrote:
If that doesn't fix your problem, it might have something to do with you being on Linux and me on XP. I don't know much about themes so I'm sort of in the dark here. Also, this is targeted for the 3.0 versions and not 3.1, so that could affect it (if you're using a 3.1 build). If all else fails you could extract the classic.jar contents in your TB directory and try to look for differences. I suppose extension conflicts could be another issue.
I don't have any extensions so that shouldn't be the problem. I don't have much time to look into it, but I can live with that minor annoyance :mrgreen:
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Wow! The TB3 Classic theme is so subtle & good looking, I had to double check that I hadn't accidentally run TB2. It just proves that the devs don't have anything better to do than screw around with what works.

Good going, Zamula!
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
zamula

Post by zamula »

dserodio wrote:The formatting icons in the compose window are still ugly...

Good catch! I guess I missed a few. When I get a chance I'll pull in the old icons for the formatting and up a new version. If anyone finds any other "yuckies" still lying around please advise.