TB3 "Classic" theme to restore old icon set and more...

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
zamula

Re: TB3 "Classic" theme to restore old icon set and more...

Post by zamula »

I'll try to update soon, but I'm not sure where to look. Probably a new graphic or CSS changes were made in the default theme and I need to copy them over. I'll be away for a few days so I probably won't get to until later next week.
Volker E.

Post by Volker E. »

Thanks a lot for your work! IMHO the Tango icons won't make anything more usable or UX any better. It's rather graphical style of the late 90ies. So I'm very happy that you've found time to put in the 'old' icons into new TB3!
One thing that's annoying me is, that -with my TB3beta4 only the account icon in the folder pane gets the red asterisk/star/thing which signifies 'new mail'.
Neither do folders nor inboxes. Compare it with this image of TB2: http://lesliefranke.com/images/thunderbird2.gif
I'm using TB3 Classic 1.1.2.
Can you confirm this?
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

The new versions CompactHeader break the icons in the customization dialog. I am not sure what is causing this, but this might be the problem:
Some buttons are cloned from the main mail toolbar (you can recognize them by the capitalized starting letter). In bug 386007 the coding of the list-style-image for the toolbar buttons was changed: Now it is coded for each button separately and not - as before - for the whole toolbar:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment ... r.css_sec1

I cannot reproduce the problem with the "other actions button" reported here.
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

I really love the old theme, thanks for all the work you've spent on this.

The new theme is a pain, except for the 'Inbox' and 'Outbox' icons in the tree, which are much better than in the old theme.

The arrow for 'Outbox' in the classic theme isn't really clear.

Would it be possible to add the Inbox & Outbox icons from the newer theme as an option? What do the others think?
zamula

Post by zamula »

Version 1.1.4:
Updated to use latest default theme changes -- fixes issues with buttons in header pane.
Folder pane uses default Aero icons for Server, Inbox, and Outbox.
Thread pane uses default Star icon, since it's smaller.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

Thanks, zamula. Looks good.
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

This is looking awesome, thanks. :)

Don't forget to update your preview screenshot for the theme manager in future. :)
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

@zamula:

I've got inconsistent star icons with 1.1.4. Notice in the below screenshot that the non-Local Folders account has the classic star (which I prefer) and the Local Folders account has the faint and hard to notice star.

If your preference is for the hard-to-see star icon, any tips on how I can customize my installation to make the classic star my default?

Thanks
zamula

Post by zamula »

@C@rb0n

I only have the Local Folders account, and never even noticed the star icon for new messages before. In my opinion the Aero icon is sleeker than the old one, but I do see your point about the star being harder to see. For the next update I'll try to see if I can use the old when there are new messages (with the star), and the new icon only for the case where there aren't any new messages.

Of course any input from others is welcome as well.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

@zamula: I extracted classic.jar and used IcoFX to take a look at classic\messenger\icons. The star versions are derived from the server.png file. They appear just like that in the image file. I wonder why Mozilla decided to have it that way. Looks strange, but that's how it is.

Doing what you were thinking of would probably require copying the other server.png to a new name and updating the CSS; however, I don't think it's worth bothering, because then you'd have the computer icon being inconsistent between new message and no new message.

Likely the best approach would be to edit the server.png file by cutting out the star with red border and superimposing it on the computer icon. If I get a chance to do this and it looks good, I'll post a link to the modified server.png.
zamula

Post by zamula »

Okay, so I couldn't resist and took a shot at a bigger star for the new mail server icon in version 1.1.5. C@rb0n, please let me know what you think!
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

Looks good to me. It's much easier to notice and is consistent with the other icons.

Thank you for making the update.
jalyst

Post by jalyst »

I guess this is really only ideal for windows 7/vista, not OS X? (Tiger)
Hmmm, time to search for old-school iconsets for OS X...

zamula wrote:For all of those frustrated by the GUI "improvements" in TB3 (especially those hideous new icons), I've created a theme for Windows users that adds back most of the icons from TB2, plus a couple of the new aero icons being developed for Vista. There's also a link to the new CompactHeader extension, so we don't have to endure that horrible space-waster.

TB3 Classic 1.1.5
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qjmc1h
TB2 icons added back (plus a couple from the new aero theme).
Folder pane lines restored.

Latest changes:
Changed server icon for new mail to have more visible star symbol.
Updated to use latest default theme changes -- fixes issues with buttons in header pane.
Folder pane uses default Aero icons for Server, Inbox, and Outbox.
Thread pane uses default Star icon, since it's smaller.
Updated to use new icons for account settings etc. so they display correctly on right pane.

Here is the thread for the continually evolving CompactHeader extension. It now has options for a 1 or 2 line header, and allows you to choose which buttons to show, with or without text. It looks great :)
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1405155

I'd appreciate all feedback and hopefully this will allow all of the TB3 testers to again enjoy one of our favorite apps! If all goes well, I'll pursue adding this to the official add-ons repository at Mozilla, but I'm not sure how long that will take...Enjoy!

For those interested in the details, all I did was take the existing theme and copy over the old icons, plus I added a line to to messageHeader.css. to import the CSS hacks from a separate file TB3Classic.css (provided below). Please note that I provide no "warranty" on this, and any new changes to the standard theme might break this one. I'll try to fix things if possible, but I only did this to make TB3 tolerable for myself again (and hopefully everyone else too).

TB3Classic.css

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

/* ::::: TB3 Classic Tweaks  ::::: */

/* ::::: Folder Pane ::::: */

/* add back tree lines*/
#folderTree > treechildren::-moz-tree-line {
  visibility: visible;
}

/* ::::: Message Thread Pane ::::: */

/* fix padding for flag column header */
treecol.flagColumnHeader {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://messenger/skin/icons/flag-col.png");
  -moz-padding-start: 2px;
  -moz-padding-end: 7px;
}

/* fix padding for attachment column header */
treecol.attachmentColumnHeader {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://messenger/skin/icons/attachment-col.png");
  -moz-padding-start: 1px;
  -moz-padding-end: 6px;
}

/* fix padding for attchment column */
treechildren::-moz-tree-image(attachmentCol, attach) {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://messenger/skin/icons/attachment.png");
}

/* fix padding for read column header */
treecol.readColumnHeader {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://messenger/skin/icons/readcol.png");
  -moz-padding-end: 6px;
}
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

@jalyst:

If you're looking for an OS X theme, you should browse the add-ons site. There you can find themes such as (most likely not yet compatible with latest TB 3 builds): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/9552 or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/6764
Last edited by C@rb0n on November 20th, 2009, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jalyst

Post by jalyst »

thanks