Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
L.A.R. Grizzly

Re: New addon to compact header plane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Tuxman wrote:Damnit, folks, it's FX, not FF!

--Off Topic Comment--

You are most assuredly correct! I went through this deliberation quite a while back, but to no avail! I finally succumbed and am now using FF as well. Sometimes you just have to give way to the masses!

From #8 on the FAQ Page:

8. How do I capitalize Firefox? How do I abbreviate it? Only the first letter is capitalized (so it's Firefox, not FireFox.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx". :roll:
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

I don't like masses.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I removed the de from the link to AMO. It still works for me and redirects me to the German page. After changing the prefered language in firefox to English I was redirected to the English page.
zamula

Post by zamula »

Thanks again for such a great addition! I also wanted to let you know I've made a couple of mods and was wondering if there was some way they could be incorporated into your project so I don't have to start my own.

The 1st one keeps your 1-line compact header as-is, but shows iconic versions of the header pane buttons when showing the expanded header. I basically just changed the XUL to add style="display:hidden" the the icon bar, and then changed the CSS to add icons to the buttons instead of hiding them.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/w7qur3

The 2nd one is similar but shows a 2-line compact header, with the iconic buttons.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/919iys

For now, I've kept the version numbers in synch with yours, since the code is directly descended from it. Please let me know how I should proceed.

Thanks!
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Thanks for this extension. Works great.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

zamula wrote:Thanks again for such a great addition! I also wanted to let you know I've made a couple of mods and was wondering if there was some way they could be incorporated into your project so I don't have to start my own.

The 1st one keeps your 1-line compact header as-is, but shows iconic versions of the header pane buttons when showing the expanded header. I basically just changed the XUL to add style="display:hidden" the the icon bar, and then changed the CSS to add icons to the buttons instead of hiding them.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/w7qur3

The 2nd one is similar but shows a 2-line compact header, with the iconic buttons.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/919iys

For now, I've kept the version numbers in synch with yours, since the code is directly descended from it. Please let me know how I should proceed.

Very nice, now I can have the icons or not. Good work.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I am working on switching the buttons on and off dynamicly but I got stuck ](*,) :
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1415785

Does anybody know an simple example from where I can start?

Thanks!
Paenglab

Post by Paenglab »

Please can you remove every !important in the Message Header Pane - Buttons. This overrides my theme styles (I use also icons) and make it unusable. For the default theme they are not needed as it has nothing to override.
In my view the -moz-margin-start definitions are not useful. They make the button bar wider and the from address has not enough space.
I see also no clue for the .hdrTrashButton definitions.

Between the icons and the text is no space. If you add this to the css, then it looks better:

Code: Select all

.msgHeaderView-button .button-icon {
  -moz-margin-end: 3px;
}
Nuvola theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Paenglab wrote:Please can you remove every !important in the Message Header Pane - Buttons. This overrides my theme styles (I use also icons) and make it unusable. For the default theme they are not needed as it has nothing to override.
In my view the -moz-margin-start definitions are not useful. They make the button bar wider and the from address has not enough space.
I see also no clue for the .hdrTrashButton definitions.

Between the icons and the text is no space. If you add this to the css, then it looks better:

Code: Select all

.msgHeaderView-button .button-icon {
  -moz-margin-end: 3px;
}

Your suggestions were added to 0.3.3
GMBF

Post by GMBF »

I just tried your .3.2 version - good stuff - big leap for me. Have a suggestion: my preference is to have the click-able URL on the single line compact view. I also mentioned this in the feedback thread before I realized you doing some work on the header view issue. I would be happy with a 2 line view to accommodate the click-able URL if the subject line on the tab is not enough for folks. Thanks!
Last edited by GMBF on August 14th, 2009, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

What do you mean with "the click-able URL"?
GMBF

Post by GMBF »

jmozmoz wrote:What do you mean with "the click-able URL"?

As I indicated the .3.2 step was a positive leap for me.

When I use the standard header when viewing an RSS feed, in the header, I have the website URL reference that is also a hypertext link to the page. Occasionally when I get a "plug-in not installed" or a page "requires javascript needs to be enabled" because of embedded media or scripting in the page, then I will click on the website link which allows me to see the media or scripted functions via my browser . Also I use the right-click ("copy link location") function on the website hypertext link as well.

From what I have tried, when the header is modified via your add-on I get the benefit of compact mode but only have the subject line and there by lose the convenient access to the URL. Don't know off hand what an ideal design would be but if access to the URL could somehow be provided I thought it would be a better scenario.
Last edited by GMBF on August 14th, 2009, 10:30 am, edited 11 times in total.
oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

GMBF wrote:
jmozmoz wrote:What do you mean with "the click-able URL"?
... From what I have tried, when the header is modified via your add-on I get the benefit of compact mode but only have the subject line and there by lose the convenient access to the URL. Don't know off hand what an ideal design would be but if access to the URL could somehow be provided I thought it would be a better scenario.

When you enlarge the header (using small icon to left of subject) does the link not appear. It does in my system.
SM, TBird & FF trunk nightlies; Win 8.1/Ubuntu; Apache OOo 4
============================================
Eriatile

Post by Eriatile »

GMBF, have you tried to use RSS Linkify Subject addon ? It's what I am using and I think it can address your problem.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

nice extension choices all around!

please consider a 2 line version that puts the subject on its own line. i'll bet there are many people (like me) who would love to have a view (not just compact) where display of the subject line doesn't end at ~80-100 characters