Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy CaptSaltyJack,

nope, it does what it says it will do. it takes the header area and makes it more compact. that shows up in 3 places ...
- in the msg pane [toggled with f8]
- in a msg reading window
- in a msg reading tab

have you bothered to read the extension page that i linked to?

take care,
lee
slowrobert

Post by slowrobert »

Hello,

I have found by disabling all extensions, that this extension then works fine.

I then found that enabling ThunderBrowse along with this extension, if I open a thunderbrowse page that the 'blocked remote content' popup no longer appears - and I am unable to show images.

The problem persists even if the thunderbrowse tab is closed; persists until restart.

Sincerely,
Robert
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Sorry I am not sure that I understand what you mean but I cannot reproduce this: If I open a thunderbrowse tab, then go to a message with external content I get this yello line below the header where you can choose if you want to unblock from certain domains or for that mail.

Also it seems to work with full header, and one- and two-line compact headers.I also do not get error messages in the console.

(Tested using Thunderbird 31.0 (last beta), Windows 7, CompactHeader 2.0.9beta1)

Perhaps it would help if you post some screenshots.

slowrobert wrote:Hello,

I have found by disabling all extensions, that this extension then works fine.

I then found that enabling ThunderBrowse along with this extension, if I open a thunderbrowse page that the 'blocked remote content' popup no longer appears - and I am unable to show images.

The problem persists even if the thunderbrowse tab is closed; persists until restart.

Sincerely,
Robert
slowrobert

Post by slowrobert »

Hello,

I am running Thunderbird 31.0 release update channel, Windows 7, CompactHeader 2.0.9beta1, ThunderBrowse 3.82.

For me, when I first start Thunderbird, I also get the long yellow box with the choice to show content with a button on the far right.

After opening my first tab normally through selecting a link in an email, that yellow box no longer appears. I have tried this with 1 line, 2 lines and showing full header with Thunderbird restarted each time. Sometimes it does not fail right away, showing the yellow box for one or two more messages, even after I have closed the Thunderbrowser tab.

But normally, as soon as I close the Thunderbrowser tab using the red close button on the upper right of the tab page, as soon as I am back in the email reading section, the yellow box never again appears (till restart).

I am uncertain how to post a screen-shot here, but it wouldn't show much anyway, just a page with the broken links picture place-holders and no yellow bar at the top, as if I had clicked the close 'x' in the yellow box.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Ok. I was able to reproduce this behavior. But also, with only ThunderBrowse installed. So this looks like a ThunderBrowse bug.

(Probably, the reason, why I could not reproduce this was, that for whatever reason, that ThunderBrowse tab were opened as a Thunderbird tab and not in the message pane. If I install ThunderBrowse in a fresh profile, it uses tabs there. But there seems to be another bug in ThunderBrowse so I cannot change the tab style (there is an error message in the error console).)

So you probably have to ask the author of ThunderBrowse to fix this.

slowrobert wrote:Hello,

I am running Thunderbird 31.0 release update channel, Windows 7, CompactHeader 2.0.9beta1, ThunderBrowse 3.82.

For me, when I first start Thunderbird, I also get the long yellow box with the choice to show content with a button on the far right.

After opening my first tab normally through selecting a link in an email, that yellow box no longer appears. I have tried this with 1 line, 2 lines and showing full header with Thunderbird restarted each time. Sometimes it does not fail right away, showing the yellow box for one or two more messages, even after I have closed the Thunderbrowser tab.

But normally, as soon as I close the Thunderbrowser tab using the red close button on the upper right of the tab page, as soon as I am back in the email reading section, the yellow box never again appears (till restart).

I am uncertain how to post a screen-shot here, but it wouldn't show much anyway, just a page with the broken links picture place-holders and no yellow bar at the top, as if I had clicked the close 'x' in the yellow box.
slowrobert

Post by slowrobert »

Ok, thank you. I just did a fresh in stall on a different computer with just these two extensions and the problem showed up..

I guess you are unable to repeat the setup where your extension works with Thunderbrowser.

I will let Thunderbrowser know of this issue.

Thanks again.
KitchM

Post by KitchM »

I'm using TB 31.1.1 and am having a problem with compact header not showing all of the header information when expanded. So I checked that View>Headers were set to All, instead of just Normal. Then tried switching back and forth by double-clicking. No luck. Then I viewed another e-mail's header and came back to the first one, and it began to work correctly, showing all of the header information.

Perhaps this will help someone else.

Thanks for the great addon.
kennerr

Post by kennerr »

Hi there,

Just a quick question:

I am using v 2.0.8 and TB32. One button (forward message) is strangely misplaced and I cannot trace back why:

Can someone reproduce this?
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Which operating system are you using? Do you use a special theme?
kennerr wrote:Hi there,

Just a quick question:

I am using v 2.0.8 and TB32. One button (forward message) is strangely misplaced and I cannot trace back why:

Can someone reproduce this?
kennerr

Post by kennerr »

I am using Arch Linux 64-bit.

I was able to trace it back! The issue occurs with Identity Chooser 1.8.8 [1] being installed. This add-ons adds all my aliases to the forward, reply, and reply all buttons.

Interestingly only with the forward button there seems to be a problem.

Thus, is this an issue that is related to compact header or should I report this to Identity Chooser?

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... src=search
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Yes, I can confirm that both add-ons modify the forward button and are therefore incompatible. One way to fix this would be that the identity chooser addon creates its one header toolbar button with its own id. But then the user had to add this manually to the toolbar.

kennerr wrote:I am using Arch Linux 64-bit.

I was able to trace it back! The issue occurs with Identity Chooser 1.8.8 [1] being installed. This add-ons adds all my aliases to the forward, reply, and reply all buttons.

Interestingly only with the forward button there seems to be a problem.

Thus, is this an issue that is related to compact header or should I report this to Identity Chooser?

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... src=search
kennerr

Post by kennerr »

One way to fix this would be that the identity chooser addon creates its one header toolbar button with its own id. But then the user had to add this manually to the toolbar.

Unfortunately the developer of the incompatible add-on has no time to provide a fix. :(
Cai

Post by Cai »

@jmozmoz

Hi, as I said before in Babelzilla Board shortly after release of 2.0.9beta1, still there is a problem in 2.0.9beta2.

View->Header menu entry has a accesskey.
This is "コ" in ja-JP.
"コ" is the first letter of the label "コンパクト", however, it is impossible to input "コ" in usual ways as a accesskey.
("コ" is a katakana and it is necessary to use IME to input "コ")

Please change CompactHeader_compactMenu.accesskey from "コ" to "C" (same as en-US) or make it enabled to be translated on Babelzilla.

Other languages seem to have a same problem.
MozillaZine.jp site admin
DickA

Post by DickA »

In CompactHeader 2.0.8: Is there a way to display LISTS before Individual Contacts (in the left pane)? I have a lot of contacts and lists, which makes it much too difficult to find the lists (which is what I usually use).
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Sorry, I missed this post. I will enable the translations at Babelzilla.

Cai wrote:@jmozmoz

Hi, as I said before in Babelzilla Board shortly after release of 2.0.9beta1, still there is a problem in 2.0.9beta2.

View->Header menu entry has a accesskey.
This is "コ" in ja-JP.
"コ" is the first letter of the label "コンパクト", however, it is impossible to input "コ" in usual ways as a accesskey.
("コ" is a katakana and it is necessary to use IME to input "コ")

Please change CompactHeader_compactMenu.accesskey from "コ" to "C" (same as en-US) or make it enabled to be translated on Babelzilla.

Other languages seem to have a same problem.