Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
neandr

Re: New addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by neandr »

@CharlesCS
Try to contact the author to get a pre TB 3.0b4 version of CompactHeader. Not the optimum, but a lot better than the "standard"
//gW / Ubuntu11.04 / MAC 10.5 / WIN7; FX / TB 6.x
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

CharlesCS wrote:Hrmph. According to the Eudora release notes...

Code: Select all

------------------
CHANGES IN 8.0.0b7
------------------

Includes Penelope version 0.5a4.
Based on Thunderbird 3.0b3, which you can find release notes here:
<http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b3/releasenotes/>

And there's no telling when the Eudora project will upgrade their own build to incorporate the latest TB beta, so I guess I'm stuck with this massive useless header pane. ](*,)

Try version 0.6.2.

You can find the latest version for each of the betas of Thunderbird here.
CharlesCS

Post by CharlesCS »

jmozmoz wrote:Try version 0.6.2.

You can find the latest version for each of the betas of Thunderbird here.

Excellent! Thank you!!

=D>
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090902 Eudora/3.0b3
lesm

Post by lesm »

The Release Notes for version 0.99.0 says: ... This version works with Thunderbird 3.0pre. For older versions (Thunderbird 3.0 beta 4) use the version 0.8.x.

Something is wrong here. I tried version 0.8.x on TB 3.0beta4 and didn't work okay. Instead I use version 0.9.0 from http://www.stathy.com/mozdev/compactheader/ and works just fine.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

lesm wrote:The Release Notes for version 0.99.0 says: ... This version works with Thunderbird 3.0pre. For older versions (Thunderbird 3.0 beta 4) use the version 0.8.x.

Something is wrong here. I tried version 0.8.x on TB 3.0beta4 and didn't work okay. Instead I use version 0.9.0 from http://www.stathy.com/mozdev/compactheader/ and works just fine.

I tried again with Thunderbird 3.0 beta 4 and a fresh profile. The version 0.8.3 of the add-on worked. Version 0.9.0 also works (somehow): The buttons in the header pane cannot be changed: Neither display the icons nor remove some or all of them.

Could you please try with a fresh profile.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

Don't know what's wrong, but 0.99.x does not work for me at all on 3.0pre nightly. With it installed, I have no header buttons or icons, and if I click the '+' to compact the header, the header disappears altogether.

I have tried disabling all other extensions and themes, uninstalling and reinstalling, and still nothing.

I use Shredder Zip builds on Windows XP
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

C@rb0n wrote:Don't know what's wrong, but 0.99.x does not work for me at all on 3.0pre nightly. With it installed, I have no header buttons or icons, and if I click the '+' to compact the header, the header disappears altogether.

I have tried disabling all other extensions and themes, uninstalling and reinstalling, and still nothing.

I use Shredder Zip builds on Windows XP

Do you see any error messages in the error console (Extra Menu)? Could you try with a fresh profile?

Also could you try the CustomizeHeaderToolbar add-on (and disabling the CompactHeader add-on)?
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

jmozmoz wrote:Do you see any error messages in the error console (Extra Menu)? Could you try with a fresh profile?

Also could you try the CustomizeHeaderToolbar add-on (and disabling the CompactHeader add-on)?

Same issue with a new profile.

I get the following in Error Console for the following scenarios:

Error: document.getElementById("hdrJunkButton") is null
Source File: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.js
Line: 1902

1. Launch Shredder with CompactHeader enabled:

2. Collapse Header via the '+' Button:

Error: RSSLinkify.newSubject is undefined
Source File: chrome://compactheader/content/compactHeaderOverlay.js
Line: 270

3. Click CompactHeader Options in Add-ons Manager:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getBoolPref]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://compactheader/content/preferences.js :: loadPrefCheckbox :: line 113" data: no]

As for trying CustomizeHeaderToolbar 0.1.4 (with CompactHeader disabled), no errors in Error Console, but the result is a mess. Here are my findings (these images are 1:1 scale):

1. Header without any extensions:

2. Header with CustomizeHeaderToolbar:

jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Please press the "Restore Default Set" button in the customization dialog. This should help.

The problem with
are caused by the Thunderbird code itself, but this is patched already and should be included in the next nightly builds.

I can reproduce the error message when opening the preference dialog. Will be fixed in the text version (actually does not do any harm).

You use windows XP? Will try to solve the problem with the icons.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

jmozmoz wrote:Please press the "Restore Default Set" button in the customization dialog. This should help.

Nope. Did nothing.

jmozmoz wrote:You use windows XP? Will try to solve the problem with the icons.

Yes. I'm using XP. Since Microsoft is not a registered charity, I figured I'd avoid their installment plan.
lignumaqua

Post by lignumaqua »

C@rb0n wrote:Don't know what's wrong, but 0.99.x does not work for me at all on 3.0pre nightly. With it installed, I have no header buttons or icons, and if I click the '+' to compact the header, the header disappears altogether.

I have what appears to be the same problem. Running Shredder on Win 7. In addition the options dialog seems to go back to the one used in early versions of this fine add-on with almost no options. Have reverted to 0.9 for now which works well, albeit without buttons. It almost looks like the posted 0.99 is really an earlier version inside! :?

Once the + button is clicked and the header disappears there is no way to get it back. Have to uninstall and reinstall the add-on.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

lignumaqua wrote:In addition the options dialog seems to go back to the one used in early versions of this fine add-on with almost no options.

I noticed that too, but thought maybe it was an intentional change, so, considering that nothing else worked right, I didn't mention it.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Actually these are a new versions (now 0.99.2). There was an error so if you unselected the linkify option it broke the compact header view.

The buttons can be customized by selecting the customization context menu over the toolbar (where the buttons are (see the screen shots of the CustomizationHeaderToolbar add-on). There for the options dialog of the Compact Header add-on now is shorter than before.

Actually the customization of the header pane toolbar should have been added to the Thunderbird 3.0 release but this has now very like been postponed. This is the reason for the CustomizationHeaderToolbar add-on.

The CompactHeader add-on includes the functionality (and actually the full source code) of the CustomizationHeaderToolbar add-on.

Please give the new version a try.
lignumaqua

Post by lignumaqua »

jmozmoz wrote:The buttons can be customized by selecting the customization context menu over the toolbar (where the buttons are (see the screen shots of the CustomizationHeaderToolbar add-on). There for the options dialog of the Compact Header add-on now is shorter than before.

Ah! Sorry for my misunderstanding. Traveling today and the problem is on my desktop machine, will try 0.99.2 tomorrow when I get home. Many thanks for the prompt response. :D
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

jmozmoz wrote:Actually these are a new versions (now 0.99.2). There was an error so if you unselected the linkify option it broke the compact header view.

In my case, that linkify option was unselected by default.

I've uninstalled the old version and tried 0.99.2, including enabling "Link in subjects of RSS feeds," and it still does not work. No header buttons and now I get the following in Error Console whenever I click a message:

Error: replyAllButton is null
Source file: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.js
Line: 955

Clicking the '+/-' to collapse/expand still makes the header disappear and also displays the aforementioned error message.

Have you yourself tried testing with both a new installation of Shredder (i.e. unzip the zip dist to a directory) and a new profile? It's possible that you have needed bits already on your computer that you are taking for granted that other users may not have. Also, are you using relative paths throughout?
Last edited by C@rb0n on October 28th, 2009, 6:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.