Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
jmozmoz

Re: New addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by jmozmoz »

limp wrote:Overall, a wonderful extension. But for some reason the drop-down arrow on the Reply button does nothing. All the other drop-down arrows work fine. Anyone else have this problem?

Could please give some more details: Thunderbird and CompactHeader version, operating system, other add-ons installed, any messages in the error console?
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

proftech wrote:I like your extension but I have a question. Isn't the "SmartReply" button [the one with the dropdown] part of your add on and not part of Thunderbird? If so, is there a way to set it so "Reply" is the default and not "Reply all"? I have seen some posts where others have said they dislike Thunderbirds choice to make "Reply All" the default and I agree. If I want to reply to all it should be a requirement to click the dropdown. This is the only thing stopping me from using your addon.

This smart reply button was discussed a lot e.g. at bugzilla and news groups.

For me I decided that you can add the "old" buttons reply, reply to all and reply to list as separate buttons to the header pane (by installing CompactHeader). I do not want to fiddle around with this "smart" reply button. I even removed it from the default set of buttons.

What might be interesting to know is that there is work in progress to change the reply mode after composing a new message has started.
jamienkk

Post by jamienkk »

jmozmoz wrote:
jamienkk wrote:Mac issues using latest 1.1.5b2:

* The toggle [+] is cropped of a bit on the top and bottom:

* The icon sizes are not consistant
and also note above, the date appears twice

Could you please post a screenshot with all buttons shown in the header pane (please add them from the customization dialog (right mouse button)).

If you are familiar with userChrome.css files, could you please create one with the following content:

Code: Select all

#header-view-toolbox .toolbarbutton-1 .toolbarbutton-icon {
  min-height: 16px !important;
  height: 16px;
  width: 16px;
}

This should set all icons to the same (small) size. If it works I will add it to the next release of CompactHeader. Thank you!

I cannot explain the problem with the date. Have you installed any other add-ons which might responsible for this (e.g. ConfigDate).

Here are all the buttons with text/icon combinations.

I created a file called userChrome.css in /Home/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/***.default/chrome/ This is how it then looks:

Things I notice about the IMPROVED versions:

* The small icons are distorted -- it looks like the height/width ratio changed?
* The "add star" icon is still large (this also effects the size when you show "icons and text"
* "REPLY (with dropdown)" and "mark" both have differently-shaped buttons (aqua themed) in all 3 iterations
* in "icons and text" mode, "delete" and "Junk" are smaller then the other buttons -- there is less padding on the "junk" text
* There is inconsistent capitalization

(The date thing seems to have disappeared, though I have no other extensions and didn't change any prefs or anything...?)

Thanks for your great work on this! :)
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

B. Condor wrote:I found a small glitch under XP (classic theme) in combination with flat buttons (version 1.1.5) in the e-mail header pane: on mouse-over the icons move a little to the right; I assume that the specified width on mouse-over is wider than for the normal icons.

Screenshots:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/563/ ... ons115.png

I cannot confirm this with TB3 Classic 1.1.5 and CompactHeader 1.1.5beta2

But here the frames of the icons when you move the mouse over them look different (Windows XP):
brm

Post by brm »

OK, usual caveats and apology: it's a long thread and I don't know if this has been requested previously.

First: great extension, thanks! TB3 becomes usable again!!

My pitch:: Personally I don't like the new header with buttons and I use this wonderful extension to cut it down to minimal size.

But on behalf of others, I'm asking if there's any intention to extend the number of buttons supported? I'm seeing some interest in the Mozilla Messaging website in being able to replicate many of the main toolbar functions, specifically Next and Stop. I guess such users would ideally like to customise the header pane from the same set of controls as is used on the main toolbar. I don't imagine for one moment that this is trivial.

Regards, Chris.
limp

Post by limp »

The dropdown arrow on the Forward button displays a list of the templates used by the Stationery extension. The dropdown arrow on the Reply button does nothing. The templates list does not appear. This is probably the fault of the Stationery extension. I will be e-mailing the author shortly.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

brm wrote:OK, usual caveats and apology: it's a long thread and I don't know if this has been requested previously.
But on behalf of others, I'm asking if there's any intention to extend the number of buttons supported? I'm seeing some interest in the Mozilla Messaging website in being able to replicate many of the main toolbar functions, specifically Next and Stop. I guess such users would ideally like to customise the header pane from the same set of controls as is used on the main toolbar. I don't imagine for one moment that this is trivial.
Regards, Chris.

I added all of the standard main toolbar buttons to the customization dialog of the header pane toolbar in version 1.1.5beta3.

If you need buttons of a certain add-on, then please ask for it here and I will try to add it. (I have already added the buttons for enigmail, getpartialmessages and stylish.)
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

@jmozmoz:

It would be nice if there was consistency between customization dialogs. In the main toolbar customization dialog, all the available buttons are flat (even with Firefox they are flat); however, in the header pane toolbar customization dialog, they are buttons. I just doesn't look right.

Thanks
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

In version 1.1.5beta4 I added the (working) buttons of the Buttons! add-on to the header pane customization dialog.

The most important buttons are probably the "real" next/previous message buttons (not the next/previous new messages).
w_mitty

Post by w_mitty »

[quote]The most important buttons are probably the "real" next/previous message buttons (not the next/previous new messages).[/quote]

Absolutely! I was very disappointed to find that Buttons! didn't work in T-bird 3 and very happy to find that you have fixed that in your add on.

One little matter, though ... : They are not working for me in the message display window (obtained by double-clicking a message). They work fine in the main message-list display but I do not use the message preview pane so the buttons are not of much value to me there. Do you think there is something that I am doing wrong or is it a bug?
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

w_mitty wrote:
The most important buttons are probably the "real" next/previous message buttons (not the next/previous new messages).

Absolutely! I was very disappointed to find that Buttons! didn't work in T-bird 3 and very happy to find that you have fixed that in your add on.

One little matter, though ... : They are not working for me in the message display window (obtained by double-clicking a message). They work fine in the main message-list display but I do not use the message preview pane so the buttons are not of much value to me there. Do you think there is something that I am doing wrong or is it a bug?

Here they are working. Actually if you add them to the main toolbar they work without CompactHeader here. There must be another bug in your installation. I use the version from AMO: 0.5.3.2
w_mitty

Post by w_mitty »

Thank you. I am using that version.

With more investigation I am finding this (first) line of code from function realNextMessageWindow(event) is causing the error:

var oldMessageURI = gCurrentMessageUri;

and the message is: "gCurrentMessageUri is not defined"

Any insight would be appreciated.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

w_mitty wrote:Thank you. I am using that version.

With more investigation I am finding this (first) line of code from function realNextMessageWindow(event) is causing the error:

var oldMessageURI = gCurrentMessageUri;

and the message is: "gCurrentMessageUri is not defined"

Any insight would be appreciated.

I think this is probably cause by a bug in TB itself: You can reproduce it without any add-on. If you open a message in a new tab then you can step for/backwards through the messages in the folder (the message is located) by pressing the keys f or b. If you now restart TB and switch to the tab with the single message you cannot navigate between the messages anymore: Neither f and b are working nor n and p (next and last "new" message).

I added this bug report in bugzilla.
w_mitty

Post by w_mitty »

Thank you. After more testing, I see that the Next! and Previous! buttons work when I open a new message in a tab. It is just when I set Thunderbird to open a new message window that the buttons do not work. So somehow gCurrentMessageUri is not supplied to the new message window. Or maybe the notion of a "current" message does not pertain. This must be a new bug, as I used Buttons! this way (new message window) in previous versions and it worked fine. I added myself to the copy list for the bug. Thanks.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

is there a way to re-order the fields included on the header? right now in tb3 it's ...

from
subject [with "date" at the far end of this line]
reply-to
to

i would like to see the addresses on one block! [*grin*] having the subject in the middle of the addresses is ... jarring. i prefer "subject" to be at the top OR the bottom, not in the middle.

plus, as i think has already been mentioned here, showing the names of the fields in proper case ["Subject" instead of "subject"] or even all-caps would also be nifty.

take care,
lee

ps - compactheader is a real help! i'm glad i found this thread. thanks to the author.