MozillaZine

Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Frank_m
 
Posts: 1
Joined: May 23rd, 2018, 3:39 am

Post Posted May 23rd, 2018, 3:50 am

Hello jmozmoz,

would it be possible to add the option of a zero-line-header for a bit more space for the message? (beside the one-line and the 2-line-option).

Best Regard
Frank

Bola2
 
Posts: 2
Joined: June 15th, 2018, 12:56 am

Post Posted June 30th, 2018, 5:13 am

I think it could be a theme bug where some height specification was missed with some change in the toolbar implementation, given that the separator is still present in the Mac OSX default theme but missing in both Windows and Linux themes (i.e., pinstripe seems to be overriding some default explicitly which qute/aero and gnomestripe are not). Thus, hopefully it will be fixed easily.

Szpak
 
Posts: 8
Joined: January 24th, 2004, 10:07 am

Post Posted August 17th, 2018, 8:59 am

With Enigmail 2.0.8 which for security reasons moved the information message from the bottom to the top it's even worse.

Enigmail 2.0.8 all alone:
> http://i.xomf.com/kwnbn.png
> http://i.xomf.com/vpyrn.png

Enigmail 2.0.8 with custom header 2.1.5:
> http://i.xomf.com/ycjns.png
> http://i.xomf.com/jgckx.png

It is especially problematic with lower resolution (e.g. on a laptop). Tested with Thunderbird 52.8.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on August 17th, 2018, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore the forum layout.

jmozmoz
 
Posts: 354
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 12:28 pm

Post Posted August 17th, 2018, 10:27 am

Sorry, but at the moment, I do not plan to implement new feature. If you would like to get rid of the header completely, you can use userChrome.css and userContent.css

Frank_m wrote:Hello jmozmoz,

would it be possible to add the option of a zero-line-header for a bit more space for the message? (beside the one-line and the 2-line-option).

Best Regard
Frank

jmozmoz
 
Posts: 354
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 12:28 pm

Post Posted August 17th, 2018, 10:28 am

Please test the new beta (available from http://compactheader.mozdev.org/installation.html Sorry, no beta channel on AMO anymore).

http://downloads.mozdev.org/compacthead ... 6beta2.xpi

Szpak wrote:With Enigmail 2.0.8 which for security reasons moved the information message from the bottom to the top it's even worse.

Enigmail 2.0.8 all alone:
> http://i.xomf.com/kwnbn.png
> http://i.xomf.com/vpyrn.png

Enigmail 2.0.8 with custom header 2.1.5:
> http://i.xomf.com/ycjns.png
> http://i.xomf.com/jgckx.png

It is especially problematic with lower resolution (e.g. on a laptop). Tested with Thunderbird 52.8.

jmozmoz
 
Posts: 354
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 12:28 pm

Post Posted August 17th, 2018, 10:47 am

There is no beta channel on AMO (or https://addons.thunderbird.net/) anymore. If you want to support the further developement of this addon, please use builds from http://compactheader.mozdev.org/installation.html

I am not sure that it works anymore, but you should also get automatic updates from there.

Thank you.

ikana
 
Posts: 3
Joined: March 31st, 2018, 9:26 am

Post Posted August 17th, 2018, 1:08 pm

jmozmoz wrote:There is no beta channel on AMO (or <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://addons.thunderbird.net/">https://addons.thunderbird.net/</a><!-- m -->) anymore. If you want to support the further developement of this addon, please use builds from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://compactheader.mozdev.org/installation.html">http://compactheader.mozdev.org/installation.html</a><!-- m -->

I am not sure that it works anymore, but you should also get automatic updates from there.

Thank you.
Please test the new beta (available from http://compactheader.mozdev.org/installation.html Sorry, no beta channel on AMO anymore).

http://downloads.mozdev.org/compacthead ... 6beta2.xpi


@jmozmoz Thanks for providing the new beta. I tried 2.1.6beta2.xpi on TB 52.9.1 (Windows 10) with addons Enigmail, Lightning, ThunderHtmlEdit, Filtaquilla, and observed the following.

In non-encrypted messages, compact header display seems fine, e.g.
- single line and double line display works
- double click toggle works
- darken header if focus works
- positioning of header toolbar works
- Not sure what option 'Display only address' is supposed to do.

In encrypted messages, compact header display:
- compact header is the same height as full header
- single/double line is displayed in top of compact header as expected
- remainder of compact header is empty space
- sometimes compact header height is even larger than default header
- when selecting unencrypted messages after encrypted ones, header height is still too large, but double clicking it brings back the expected header height

[Edit: removed some error console entries after finding out these are message content related]

Hope this helps.

jmozmoz
 
Posts: 354
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 12:28 pm

Post Posted August 17th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Could you please provide screenshots showing the problems. I can reproduce it.

(I wont have time to work on this the next two weeks).

ikana wrote:@jmozmoz Thanks for providing the new beta. I tried 2.1.6beta2.xpi on TB 52.9.1 (Windows 10) with addons Enigmail, Lightning, ThunderHtmlEdit, Filtaquilla, and observed the following.

In non-encrypted messages, compact header display seems fine, e.g.
- single line and double line display works
- double click toggle works
- darken header if focus works
- positioning of header toolbar works
- Not sure what option 'Display only address' is supposed to do.

In encrypted messages, compact header display:
- compact header is the same height as full header
- single/double line is displayed in top of compact header as expected
- remainder of compact header is empty space
- sometimes compact header height is even larger than default header
- when selecting unencrypted messages after encrypted ones, header height is still too large, but double clicking it brings back the expected header height

[Edit: removed some error console entries after finding out these are message content related]

Hope this helps.

jmozmoz
 
Posts: 354
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 12:28 pm

Post Posted August 17th, 2018, 5:48 pm

I have pushed a new beta to mozdev.org. You should get it automatically (or if you check for updates on the addon page).

Unfortunately, I have not found the reason for the large size.

ikana
 
Posts: 3
Joined: March 31st, 2018, 9:26 am

Post Posted August 18th, 2018, 7:52 am

jmozmoz wrote:I have pushed a new beta to mozdev.org. You should get it automatically (or if you check for updates on the addon page).

Unfortunately, I have not found the reason for the large size.


Thanks for the new version. This improves compact header display of encrypted messages. It is more 'compact' with just some space left underneath. As you indicated, the header of 'normal' messages in compact view, after clicking encrypted message, remains affected. Let me know if there is something I can do to further investigate.

Szpak
 
Posts: 8
Joined: January 24th, 2004, 10:07 am

Post Posted August 18th, 2018, 12:30 pm

The issue with formatting I reported has been fixed in beta2 (beta3 is also ok). Thanks @jmozmoz.

Return to Thunderbird Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests