Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
honesty

Re: New addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by honesty »

jmozmoz wrote:Using CompactHeader 1.1.6 and Mostly Crystal 3.0.2 there a small arrow pointing down- or upward showing the view mode of the header. I tried it with Windows 7 and Windows XP. Could you try with a fresh profile and with no other add-ons installed.

I have tried with a new profile, but it`s the same - there is no small arrow with mostly crystal and compactheader. With default-theme there are no problems.
Leak

Post by Leak »

jmozmoz wrote:
Leak wrote:Well, it does if I open the preferences dialog either from the add-ons window or via "Tools > Extension options > CompactHeader 1.1.6" (from MR Toolkit), but right-clicking the message pane header and choosing "Compact header preferences" from the context menu (IMHO the most direct way to get to the prefs) makes the pref dialog show up in the top left corner like I said...

You are right. I could reproduce it and (hopefully) fixed it in the new version 1.1.7.

Well, at least here you certainly did fix it. :)

Thanks!
Anthony M.

Post by Anthony M. »

I tried to install version 1.1.7 with TB 3.0.3

TB reports in the add-ons panel that its not compatible with 3.0.3. So I tried to uninstall but that doesn't work. It seems to be stuck now with the Cancel button the only one active and TB showing a message above saying to restart TB to complete the process - but this doesn't work.

Any idea, how to clean up this mess?
Klint

Post by Klint »

Hi jmozmoz
Thanks for this very useful extension.
But I was wondering: would it be possible to have an option that would display the assigned tags in the compacted view?
There seems to be an empty line between the sender/recipients and the title of the mail. It would be very helpful to see the assigned tags there.
What do you think?
Thanks
Pgr

Post by Pgr »

Hi!

Thanks for this extension - very useful indeed!

I would like to request an enhancement though... :-)

I don't know if it's only me, but my main use for the header is to check multiple recipients, that is, I receive a lot of email where there is a second and third recipient, or where I am receiving as CC or BCC. I need to check that often, and that is precisely the info that is invisible in the list view, so I need to click the specific email to see it in the header. Of course, I like my vertical screen space, so I want the header to be compact...

So, I believe the most logical way to lay out the header would be to show as much information as possible in as little vertical space as possible. I don't really understand the current policy of showing "more" when there is a second recipient, when there is plenty of space to just show who it is instead of waiting for me to click...

Perhaps "more" should just show when that line if already filled up (this would be useful for those mails that have dozens of recipients, no point in showing them all unless the user clicks to expand the list).

A second idea is to show the line containing the subject and the date on the side of the buttons, instead of below the buttons. Some extra space could be saved there, and it won't make a difference except for very long subject lines...

Thanks in advance.
fuggle

Post by fuggle »

This really is an essential add on for a low res screen (eg. netbook), without which I would go back to TB2 or another client.

Unfortunately a space problem remains with various 'privacy headers' such as blocked remote content and junk. I can't see anyway to hide these other than to show the remote content or flag as not junk. Is there any way they could be included in your collapsible header or would that need a different add on?

thanks
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Anthony M. wrote:I tried to install version 1.1.7 with TB 3.0.3

TB reports in the add-ons panel that its not compatible with 3.0.3. So I tried to uninstall but that doesn't work. It seems to be stuck now with the Cancel button the only one active and TB showing a message above saying to restart TB to complete the process - but this doesn't work.

Any idea, how to clean up this mess?

No sorry, I actually do not understand you. Perhaps, it helps to start Thunderbird in the "safe mode". Then all add-ons are deactivated. You can activated on after the other to check which is responsible for your problems.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Klint wrote:Hi jmozmoz
Thanks for this very useful extension.
But I was wondering: would it be possible to have an option that would display the assigned tags in the compacted view?
There seems to be an empty line between the sender/recipients and the title of the mail. It would be very helpful to see the assigned tags there.
What do you think?
Thanks

Something like this is on my todo/wish list. So I might come back to this idea.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

fuggle wrote:This really is an essential add on for a low res screen (eg. netbook), without which I would go back to TB2 or another client.

Unfortunately a space problem remains with various 'privacy headers' such as blocked remote content and junk. I can't see anyway to hide these other than to show the remote content or flag as not junk. Is there any way they could be included in your collapsible header or would that need a different add on?

thanks

At the moment I do not plan to add this feature to CompactHeader. But you might be able to get rid of this bars by creating a userChrome.css file and add something like this:

Code: Select all

#junkBar {
  display: none;
}
or

.msgNotificationBar {
}

The former code example only removes the bar for junk messages. The second one removes all notification bars.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Pgr wrote:Perhaps "more" should just show when that line if already filled up (this would be useful for those mails that have dozens of recipients, no point in showing them all unless the user clicks to expand the list).

This has to be solved within Thunderbird itself. For a proposed solution see this bug at bugzilla.
A second idea is to show the line containing the subject and the date on the side of the buttons, instead of below the buttons. Some extra space could be saved there, and it won't make a difference except for very long subject lines...

On my todo/wish list is the idea to make the header customizable. I am not sure how fast I might implement this. But in the mean time the single compact header mode might be a solution (go to CompactHeader preferences).
Pgr

Post by Pgr »

jmozmoz wrote:This has to be solved within Thunderbird itself. For a proposed solution see this bug at bugzilla.

I went there and voted for the bug, let's hope it gets some attention...
jmozmoz wrote:On my todo/wish list is the idea to make the header customizable. I am not sure how fast I might implement this. But in the mean time the single compact header mode might be a solution (go to CompactHeader preferences).

You mean untick the "display two lines in compact view" option? Doesn't really suit me, it completely discards CC and BCC addresses which I need to check very often.

Is there any userChrome.css tweak for this that you might suggest? So I can try it before you get around to implementing a full "header customization" feature.

Thanks!
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Pgr wrote:You mean untick the "display two lines in compact view" option? Doesn't really suit me, it completely discards CC and BCC addresses which I need to check very often.

If you can do without the buttons then the two lines are displayed a little bit closer to each other. Use the context menu in the header pane to Customize the toolbar.
fuggle

Post by fuggle »

jmozmoz wrote:At the moment I do not plan to add this feature to CompactHeader. But you might be able to get rid of this bars by creating a userChrome.css file and add something like this:

#junkBar {
}
or

.msgNotificationBar {
}

The former code example only removes the bar for junk messages. The second one removes all notification bars.

Thanks for your reply. The above does work as you suggest, but in the case of blocked remote content I can't then see any way to show it if required. I would usually read the text of such a message and then show the content if I trusted it and thought it would be useful. I guess it would be easier if these bars were combined with the header in base Thunderbird?
thanks
mozjonathan

Post by mozjonathan »

Hi,

First of all, thanks for you time making this wonderful addon. It's incredibly useful, especially on netbooks, and I'm glad your work made it possible to re-land (if I'm not mistaken) the compact toolbar in future versions of Thunderbird.

May I report a bug ? I'm developing the "GMail Conversation View" extension and I'm currently extending the CompactHeader with my own button that can be added through the palette. It's both a button and a dropdown popupmenu, and some user reported to me a glitch in my button. http://github.com/protz/GMail-Conversat ... s#issue/19

However, after some searching, I found out that the "reply" button (the one with the dropdown arrow for multiple choices) also has this issue. Basically, when in flat mode, both in Windows and Linux, if you move the pointer from the dropdown arrow to the icon, the button grows 1px bigger. I couldn't find a way to fix that.

Apart from that, is there any class I should apply to my buttons to make sure they look like you intended? I'm currently copying the style from the "reply" button but that is in no way clean or future-proof. I'd be very glad if you could provide classes to apply to any kind of button for other authors who wish to extend your add-on. I've dug through the code of CompactHeader but I haven't been able to find the right way, so maybe I'm missing something here.

Thanks, and keep up the good work !

jonathan
tom16

Post by tom16 »

This looks like it would be a really useful addon. Unfortunately when I install it (in TB 3.0.3) all panes show as empty when TB restarts after the install and the entries in View>Layout are all greyed out. If I disable or un-install it, everything works just fine again.