Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
GMBF

Re: New addon to compact header plane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by GMBF »

Eriatile wrote:GMBF, have you tried to use RSS Linkify Subject addon ? It's what I am using and I think it can address your problem.

Eriatile, great recommendation because it directly addressed the issue I was highlighting! I see support for "linkify" appears to have drifted, so maybe it still makes sense to see if somehow it could be incorporated here. It seems like a natural feature for the RSS header once it is there.

Many thanks!

P.S. - a suggestion for the "linkify" addon might be to display the URL in the status bar when hovering over the RSS hypertext link.
ollydbg23

Post by ollydbg23 »

This is a great add-on. Thanks to the author!!!
zamula

Post by zamula »

Wow, your recent changes are amazing! And thanks for incorporating my suggestions. I'm really looking forward to when you get the button options working for the compact view -- at that point it will be just about perfect for everyone.
Last edited by zamula on August 15th, 2009, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zamula

Post by zamula »

I just updated my classic theme so its display is more compatible with your your extension.

Also, one suggestion I have is to add an option to remove the text from the buttons, which means I could remove that part from my theme, giving users more choice. Here is the code I have for the iconic-only buttons:

Code: Select all

/* remove button text */
#collapsedButtonBox .msgHeaderView-button .button-text,
#expandedButtonBox .msgHeaderView-button .button-text {
  display: none;
}

/* set button margins */
#collapsedButtonBox .msgHeaderView-button .button-icon,
#expandedButtonBox .msgHeaderView-button .button-icon {
  -moz-margin-start: 1px;
  -moz-margin-end: 1px;
}
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

jmozmoz wrote:CompactHeader 0.3.5
The current version is 0.3.5 (2009/08/19)

Please test - if there are no complains, I will upload it to AMO

All code below "Message Header Pane - Button Icons" inside CompactHeader.css will seriously conflict with 3rd-party themes that are skinning these buttons with images (and margins) of their own.

!important flags can be added to theme code, but I just wanted to give you a heads up about a potential problem.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

I'm using Compactheader 0.3.5 with no problems. If I run into anything, I will do a follow-up. =D>
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

CatThief wrote:
All code below "Message Header Pane - Button Icons" inside CompactHeader.css will seriously conflict with 3rd-party themes that are skinning these buttons with images (and margins) of their own.

!important flags can be added to theme code, but I just wanted to give you a heads up about a potential problem.

Is there a way to add icons to the buttons in case no theme has added ones? In the next step I would like to add the option to display Icon&Text, only Icon or only Text inside the buttons. The "only Icon" option wouldn't make sense if there is no.

Something like an "!insignificant" flag?
Paenglab

Post by Paenglab »

jmozmoz wrote:
CatThief wrote:

Is there a way to add icons to the buttons in case no theme has added ones? In the next step I would like to add the option to display Icon&Text, only Icon or only Text inside the buttons. The "only Icon" option wouldn't make sense if there is no.

My theme (Nuvola) uses, as stated earlier, icons. My definitions are applied after yours. So i'm still seeing my icons. I had only problems with the -moz-image-region defs, but in my test build this is solved. I think, were is no problem with your icons, if the other themers have done it the same way.

I tested your add-on against the default theme and found the !important flags in preferences.css are not needed. In CompactHeader.css the !important flags in #hideDetailsButton and #showDetailsButton are also not needed.

I found a little glitch. The trash icon isn't centered because of the 3px margin for the button-icon. Add this at the end of your CompactHeader.css and all looks good:

Code: Select all

.hdrTrashButton .button-icon {
  -moz-margin-end: 0px;
}
Nuvola theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
GMBF

Post by GMBF »

Re v .3.5 :

"2" line view suggestion for RSS feeds would be to keep "1" line appearance and then add website (URL) to the second line. Then I could drop "linkify" add-on. Also I now notice "linkify" seems to break - e.g. after switching between the 1 and 2 line compact options link disappears. Also have had difficulties with copy link location with "linkify".

Also, I noticed the word "more" appear through the various versions - probably related to TB3B3 issues as documented with the following bugs:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=473834
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=499989

Firefox has an "Open in New Window" capability off the tab, which might be a suggested way for TB3 to accomplish this "linkify" function.
Last edited by GMBF on August 21st, 2009, 3:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
zamula

Post by zamula »

Everything looks great to me! And with the last changes I made to my theme there are still no conflicts. Great work.
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

jmozmoz wrote:
CatThief wrote:

Something like an "!insignificant" flag?

Your extension will add these images just fine if the theme does not include them. If the theme does include them, a simple workaround is to insert !important flags for the images, image regions, and in this case margins, just like we would for any other extension for which we include support. I can confirm that this does work with my own theme.

Your plan to include image-only and text-only options is likely to appeal to many users. I can't think of any conflicts with 3rd-party themes unless you decide to apply a binding that rearranges or renames the elements in question. (Oh please don't do that. :wink: ) I expect that all we'll need to do is tweak a few margins and attach conditions to them so that things appear centered under these conditions. Extra work, but not difficult to do.

Something to consider is what Paenglab said about margins ^^^. Including values for these inside an extension has the potential of causing many headaches with theme support for the extension.

I think your extension will be popular enough that themers will adjust their code to include support for it. Speaking for myself, I am very appreciative! Compact headers have always been my personal preference, and especially now that Tb3 has made the expanded header area so large. I'll bet the majority of users will not care for this new "enhancement" at all and will be quite surprised to see it after upgrading from Tb2.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

CatThief wrote:I'll bet the majority of users will not care for this new "enhancement" at all and will be quite surprised to see it after upgrading from Tb2.

Guess what will probably happen? After all this work to make this nice add-on and refine its capabilities, the knucklehead devs will probably put the compact header view back in TB!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
zamula

Post by zamula »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Guess what will probably happen? After all this work to make this nice add-on and refine its capabilities, the knucklehead devs will probably put the compact header view back in TB!

Oh come on, a *smart* decision being made? You must be dreaming. Next thing you know they'll get rid of the Tango icons!
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

zamula wrote:Next thing you know they'll get rid of the Tango icons!

Yeah, that would be the icing on the cake. All you're efforts on your new theme would be wasted too! #-o
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
stylo~

Post by stylo~ »

Great!

What does the "show only icons inside buttons" mean? or do? I can't figure that one out.
"...doing justice only where we praise,
because we are the branch, the iron blade,
and sweet danger, ripening from within."