Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Nazgulled

Re: New addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by Nazgulled »

jmozmoz wrote:Do you know a way to increase the size of the icons to e.g. 24x24px (for the main toolbar, normal icon size) without blurring the image? If I change the css style with height/width the icon is resized.

I'm not sure you need that but maybe I'm not understanding the full issue here... We have two places with toolbar buttons, the top main application toolbar (which uses 48x48 icons) and the small toolbar in the message header pane (which uses 16x16 icons). For the top toolbar you could use that big yellow star you posted a couple of posts back as for the message header toolbar, you could use the ones I pointed out. Wouldn't that be enough? This was not entirely correct, please ignore and see the post by CatThief below.

jmozmoz wrote:
In another subject, something I forgot to suggest... I would be nice to customize the header pane when multiple messages are selected. At the moment, it looks weird if we opt to display only the icons without any labels and then select multiple messages and see the buttons "archive" and "delete" with labels and the "archive" one doesn't have an icon. It would be nice to keep a consistency here.

I know it looks ugly. I willl add it to my wish list ;-)

It does look ugly but that was not exactly my point... I was just talking about the buttons, the same buttons that appear in the message header pane. Ones are customizable, the others are not. It looks very weird to have an "archive" button without any icon and the "delete" button all pretty with the red X icon :P But if these could be customizable, just so I could remove the labels and have them show only the icons, would be great.
Last edited by Nazgulled on December 11th, 2009, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. C.

Post by Mr. C. »

Version 1.1.4 seems to be corrupt.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Mr. C. wrote:Version 1.1.4 seems to be corrupt.

I had this problem also the first time, I tried to update it. But it should be fixed (I could update the add-on in the add-on manager). Can you retry to download it?

Perhaps it's also a problem of mozdev.org? Even on the main page (http://www.mozdev.org) I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

502 Bad Gateway
nginx/0.7.62

You can also download version 1.1.4 from the list of "old" versions from AMO:
https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/ ... ions/13564
Mr. C.

Post by Mr. C. »

The AMO version worked; link in post 1 still appears corrupt (not a package, according to tb).
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

jmozmoz wrote:
CatThief wrote:Gosh, just when I was hoping things were winding down, I'm about to make a request for your ToDo list. It would be nice if the "Star" button would display the current status of the star being on or off. It's just an idea. Please don't hit me. (ducking)

I also thought about this. It wouldn't be to complicated.

But what would be the correct way to do it? Show an empty star in the header pane of messages not flagged and a solid one for flagged ones or the other way around (solid star for unflagged messages, ..., so the icon represents the action done when pressing the button)?

For consistency, it might be best if the image reflects the same coloring as the one inside the threadpane column, being either starred or unstarred.

jmozmoz wrote:Beside this: There seems to be no empty star in the default icon set of Tb (which is not to small). There are these two (Image and Image) in the qute theme. At the moment I use this big on:

If I use the small one and set the size of the icon to e.g. 16pxx16px it looks quite washy.

You can always add your own images to the extension. For the primary toolbar, just extract the 48px star from the default theme and resize it to 24px. Then copy it and apply grayscale for "unstarred". You can do the same thing for the 16px images needed for both primary toolbar and message header button, or you can use the existing starContact.png and apply -moz-image-region. Those stars are already sized at 16px x 16px. Let me know if you need anything. I can have them for you in a snap.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Mr. C. wrote:The AMO version worked; link in post 1 still appears corrupt (not a package, according to tb).

Sorry I do not know why, but it works for me.

Does anybody else have problems with the link in the first post of this thread?
Mr. C.

Post by Mr. C. »

It is working now fine.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

CatThief wrote:You can always add your own images to the extension. For the primary toolbar, just extract the 48px star from the default theme and resize it to 24px. Then copy it and apply grayscale for "unstarred". You can do the same thing for the 16px images needed for both primary toolbar and message header button, or you can use the existing starContact.png and apply -moz-image-region. Those stars are already sized at 16px x 16px. Let me know if you need anything. I can have them for you in a snap.

I could solve the problems with the button icons (one can use negative coordinates in -moz-image-region, so the icon gets larger without resizing its image).

But there is now a much bigger problem: How do I trigger a function to update the button's icon? There are several places inside the xul code of Tb where the flag status of a message is changed, e.g. by key, by the main menu, and inside the thread pane. I found the first two places, so I can "overload" the original function calls and add a reference to my function. But I didn't find the code inside the Tb sources, where the flagging in the thread pane is handled.

It would be best, if a call back function could be added to a central place being triggered when the status of the flag/star is changing. But I guess this possibility is not provided by Tb. Any ideas?
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

jmozmoz wrote:But there is now a much bigger problem: How do I trigger a function to update the button's icon? There are several places inside the xul code of Tb where the flag status of a message is changed, e.g. by key, by the main menu, and inside the thread pane. I found the first two places, so I can "overload" the original function calls and add a reference to my function. But I didn't find the code inside the Tb sources, where the flagging in the thread pane is handled.

It would be best, if a call back function could be added to a central place being triggered when the status of the flag/star is changing. But I guess this possibility is not provided by Tb. Any ideas?

That's a good question. I found the code in the same places you described, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I'm currently tinkering with adding a commandset that contains this code:

<command id="cmd_markAsFlagged" oncommand="goDoCommand('cmd_markAsFlagged');" disabled="true"/>

And then using observes="cmd_markAsFlagged" for the toolbarbutton in place of the oncommand statement. A [disabled="true"] button condition was also added to the css, but unfortunately I can't get the button to display anything except disabled and clicking on it does absolutely nothing.

Maybe a reference to some xul overlay or js file needs to be included. I'll keep trying and let you know if I find anything that works. If it isn't possible to do this inside the xul with commands that already exist, you may need to add a function to your own js file. As you can see, I'm far from being an expert at this.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
noamik

Post by noamik »

Hi, I have a feature-request for your addon. I really like it except I would like to be able to invert the view in compact-double-line-mode. I would like the message title and the receive time at the top and sender, receiver and button at the bottom. Could you add a possibility to configure this view?

I was able to achieve this by myself by editing compactHeaderOverlay.xul and exchanging the

<hbox id="collapsed2LHeaderViewSecondLine" align="top" flex="1">
</hbox>
-section with the

<hbox id="collapsed2LHeaderViewFirstLine" flex="0">
</hbox>
-section, but this will of course break with the next update.
Nazgulled

Post by Nazgulled »

You could add that change with the Stylish extension and unless the code of the extension is changed considerably, the change will always be there.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Nazgulled wrote:You could add that change with the Stylish extension and unless the code of the extension is changed considerably, the change will always be there.

With the following stylish code, I can change the two lines in the two-line-compact-header-view-mode:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#collapsed2LHeadersBox

{

-moz-box-direction: reverse !important;

}

I would be very interested, if there is a way to place individual XUL elements with stylish: Can you specify an overlay using stylish? Then it would be possible to rearrange the the different header entries individually.
dwahl

Post by dwahl »

the latest version really messed up TB3 on my Macbook, running 10.6.1:

missing file, edit, view top menus. As well as sub-menus

missing 'tasks' part of 'events & tasks'

missing menu option for 'latest nightly lightning build...'

Not pictured is that notifications are broken too.

disabling 1.1.4 restores the missing menus and broken features. Version 1.1.1 didn't have any problems.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

dwahl wrote:the latest version really messed up TB3 on my Macbook, running 10.6.1:

disabling 1.1.4 restores the missing menus and broken features. Version 1.1.1 didn't have any problems.

Can you check if you see any error messages in the console log (Tools->Error Console). Or can you start thunderbird with option -console (I think it is this command line option).

Are you using the DispMUA add-on? What other add-ons are you using?

Unfortunately I cannot test the Mac OS X version, so you have to point me to the problem.

Could you please go to http://downloads.mozdev.org/compactheader/ and test the versions 1.1.2 and 1.1.3.

Anybody else using Mac OS X seeing this problems? #-o
dwahl

Post by dwahl »

ok. I've disabled everything but lightning (nightly build) and compactheader 1.1.4

when both of these are enabled the errors from above happen. If I disable compactheader - everything looks right. If I disable lightning - everything looks right.

So it's something between these two extension.

Here's the only error from the console:

Error: document.getElementById("show-completed-checkbox") is null
Source File: chrome://calendar/content/calendar-unifinder-todo.js
Line: 61

I haven't tried 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 yet, so I'll try that as soon as I can, seems like a 50/50 chance it's this or lightning :) thanks for helping.

*edit*
I should say that the CH auto-updated, and I have NOT updated to the latest lightning nightly - mostly since the 'update' button was gone from the drop down (3rd picture) - so I'm still using the build that worked with 1.1.1

*edit again*

ok, I missed one add-on in the disable - ad-block plus which auto-updated with CH today. So here's the breakdown:

ABP + CH + Lightning = broken
ABP + CH = Works
ABP + Lightning = Works
CH + Lightning = Works

I'm thinking the culprit is probably ABP - but I'm going to still downgrade CH later to see what happens.