Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
oeekker

Re: Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Post by oeekker »

jmozmoz wrote:Thank you for this idea. I have already implemented it and will release the next beta version this week (just waiting for the translations on babelzilla).

Hi,
Thanks for implementing my idea. Could you please consider also adding the accesskey (CompactHeader_compactMenu.accesskey) so you can easily change it from the menu too?
And I rememered Thunderbird now has the Application menu (the icon with the three lines on the right side of the toolbar), so you might want to add the menuitem there too.
Onno

Edit: Also looking at the source I see you only added the menuitem to the current release version and not yet to Thunderbird 24.0a2+
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I have added the same menu entry to the application menu button.

Do you talk about these lines in chrome.manifest:

Code: Select all

overlay chrome://messenger/content/msgHdrViewOverlay.xul chrome://CompactHeader/content/compactHeaderOverlay-9.xul appversion<24.0a2
overlay chrome://messenger/content/msgHdrViewOverlay.xul chrome://CompactHeader/content/compactHeaderOverlay-24.xul appversion>=24.0a2
overlay chrome://messenger/content/msgHdrViewOverlay.xul chrome://CompactHeader/content/compactHeaderOverlay-10.xul appversion>=10.0a1

They mean, that the file compactHeaderOverlay-9.xul is used for Thunderbird versions below 24.0a2, compactHeaderOverlay-24.xul is used for Thunderbird version equal or above 24.0a2. But compactHeaderOverlay-10.xul is used for all versions equal or above 10.0a1. This latter file contains the code for the new menu entries.
oeekker wrote:
jmozmoz wrote:Thank you for this idea. I have already implemented it and will release the next beta version this week (just waiting for the translations on babelzilla).

Hi,
Thanks for implementing my idea. Could you please consider also adding the accesskey (CompactHeader_compactMenu.accesskey) so you can easily change it from the menu too?
And I rememered Thunderbird now has the Application menu (the icon with the three lines on the right side of the toolbar), so you might want to add the menuitem there too.
Onno

Edit: Also looking at the source I see you only added the menuitem to the current release version and not yet to Thunderbird 24.0a2+
oeekker

Post by oeekker »

Hi Joachim,

Yeah, I was talking about those three lines. I misread them and thought one file was for TB<10, one for TB<24.0a2 and one for TB>=24.0a2, also because they were overlaying the same file and have the same base name.

Did you also see my question about adding an accesskey to the menuitems?

Onno
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I have added an accesskey for the new menu entry.
oeekker wrote:Hi Joachim,

Yeah, I was talking about those three lines. I misread them and thought one file was for TB<10, one for TB<24.0a2 and one for TB>=24.0a2, also because they were overlaying the same file and have the same base name.

Did you also see my question about adding an accesskey to the menuitems?

Onno
danieldescheneaux

Post by danieldescheneaux »

Hi jmozmoz,

Huge fan of CompactHeader, I joined mozillazine forum to report a small bug. With CH active, mousing over links in an email or RSS post no longer shows the link in the status bar. I tested on two machines, one with no other addon installed.

Hope it's not too hard to fix ;)

Daniel
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy danieldescheneaux,

i have CH-2.0.8 installed & active on tb-24.3.0 and when i open a msg in a viewing window and then hover over a link in that msg, the destination URL shows in my status bar. it also works when i view the msg in the preview/msg pane.

here's an embarrassingly easy thing to miss ... is your status bar turned on? [*grin*] i once spent two days trying to figure out why my status notifications weren't showing ... i had somehow managed to uncheck view/toolbars/status-bar. [*blush*]

take care,
lee
jallanbloomfield

Post by jallanbloomfield »

I like the shift-H shortcut which toggles the view of the header. What would it take to make the printing of email mirror the header view in effect?

On the MacOs version I use (10.6.8), I have to go into view->headers to change what the print chain sees.

Ideally I would be delighted with an add-on that would toggle the print view of the headers with a keyboard shortcut.

Possible?
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I think the layout of printed pages is completely independent/different from the screen layout. So this would be a new add-on.

jallanbloomfield wrote:I like the shift-H shortcut which toggles the view of the header. What would it take to make the printing of email mirror the header view in effect?

On the MacOs version I use (10.6.8), I have to go into view->headers to change what the print chain sees.

Ideally I would be delighted with an add-on that would toggle the print view of the headers with a keyboard shortcut.

Possible?
oeekker

Post by oeekker »

jmozmoz wrote:I think the layout of printed pages is completely independent/different from the screen layout. So this would be a new add-on.

This is not true. If you have set View -> Headers -> All, all headers are printed and if you have View -> Headers -> Normal, only normal headers are printed. Maybe you can add Compact to that menulist and also detect the setting when printing.

Adding to the menu might not be obvious, because now Compact is a toggle between compact and All/Normal, so you might get a menu like this:

View
  Headers
    All
  * Normal
  ---------
  v Compact
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

This menu toggles the header in non-compact header view. More or less between really everything and only the standard view (without CompactHeader installed). I think it is not a good idea to use always the "All" header view if you want the non-compact header view.

By the way, you can also toggle between "Normal" and "All" with the "other actions" button in the header toolbar.

oeekker wrote:
jmozmoz wrote:I think the layout of printed pages is completely independent/different from the screen layout. So this would be a new add-on.

This is not true. If you have set View -> Headers -> All, all headers are printed and if you have View -> Headers -> Normal, only normal headers are printed. Maybe you can add Compact to that menulist and also detect the setting when printing.

Adding to the menu might not be obvious, because now Compact is a toggle between compact and All/Normal, so you might get a menu like this:

View
  Headers
    All
  * Normal
  ---------
  v Compact
CaptSaltyJack

Post by CaptSaltyJack »

This plugin doesn't seem to work at all. I installed it, and there's no evidence that it's installed. No extra buttons, menu items, nothing. Absolutely nothing indicates that it works. Any advice?
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Look in the add-on manager, if it was installed:
Menu Tools->Add-ons->Extensions
Then CompactHeader should be in the list of installed add-ons. Otherwise, something went wrong during installation.

CaptSaltyJack wrote:This plugin doesn't seem to work at all. I installed it, and there's no evidence that it's installed. No extra buttons, menu items, nothing. Absolutely nothing indicates that it works. Any advice?
CaptSaltyJack

Post by CaptSaltyJack »

Ok, maybe more details might help me? It's installed just fine. I just don't see how to enable this extension and change the mail listing view. I'm not even 100% sure what this plugin does, to be honest. Does it change the mail listing view from 1-line to 2-line, like Outlook and Apple Mail?
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy CaptSaltyJack,

no, this extension does not have ANY effect on the mail listing view ... as is clearly denoted in the extension page at AMO. lookee ...
CompactHeader :: Add-ons for Thunderbird

this in particular ...
Thunderbird does not anymore have the ability to reduce the display size of header pane to one line (as in Thunderbird 2.0). This add-on adds a symbol to compact and expand the message header plane. The compact header view mode can be set to either one or two lines

what you want is not available for tbird. [*sigh ...*] even tho many of us have asked for it. here's one of the bugs requesting it ....
213945 – Mail/message listing/thread pane needs more organization in 3 vertical pane view (like Outlook, Lotus Notes et al.)

IMPORTANT!
== bugzilla is NOT a forum! ==
== bugzilla is NOT a support site! ==
if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it ... and perhaps add yourself to the CC list by hitting the "save changes" button - no comment is needed. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee
CaptSaltyJack

Post by CaptSaltyJack »

So.. this add-on does absolutely nothing?