Saved Search Folder (aka Virtual Folders) Testing Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

This this search: "status isn't read". Works for me.
Thomas Stache

Post by Thomas Stache »

Thanks a lot. Works for me too.
Although I would have expected that it would return the "replied" and "forwarded" states too... which it does not.
Thomas Stache

Post by Thomas Stache »

marciak wrote:I wasn't able to reproduce this on the Mac using today's Thunderbird build (20041025 Firefox/1.0). Can you try again?

Kylotan wrote:
philcozz wrote:Bug for me on OSX... I have created a folder for "important" labeled messages and they sure do show up in the folder as I change the label, but when I try to open the message from the saved folder the message is empty. If I hit reply, the reply window opens with the message that should be there ready for the reply, but there is no sign of the message in the e-mail prior to hitting reply.

----
version 0.8 (20041021) (OSX)

I can replicate this on Win98 SE, running a Moox M2 branch build from today (25th). Selecting a message in a virtual folder shows 'undefined' in the title bar and opening the email gives an empty content window. The preview pane works fine however.

I also think that virtual folders need a new icon to distinguish them from other folders. I like to know which ones I can delete without losing messages.

I can confirm this issue. I also see "undefined" in the window caption and an empty standalone message window. The window doesn't even load the "Mozilla Thunderbird" entity. It says "Mail & Newsgroups".

WinXP SP1, Tinderbox build (compatibiliy.ini: Build ID=2004102522), IMAP server, offline searches.
I also went through the pain of creating a new profile, just to make sure.
max.spicer

Post by max.spicer »

My IMAP server (UW-IMAP) does not support folders that can contain messages and subfolders. This means that folders that contain subfolders can not directly contain messages. However, Thunderbird still lets me select these folders to be included in a saved search. If I do this and define an online search, everything seems to work the first time I select the folder, but the second time I do so I get IMAP server errors: "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: SELECT failed: Can't open <foldername>: not a selectable mailbox." and "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Command unrecognized: UID FETCH." I can obviously solve this by unselecting the offending folders, but it really shouldn't have let me select them in the first place. I'm also concerned that a future feature to search all folders might include these folders.

Also, I can't move virtual folders by dragging them around. I get "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: RENAME failed: Can't rename mailbox <foldername>: no such mailbox."

Will a future feature of searching all folders also include folders created after the search was defined, or will it just do a select all folders at the time of the search being defined?
The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth
and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws
but Max stepped into his private boat and waved good-bye.
philcozz

Post by philcozz »

Bug of not being able to open an e-mail from inside a virtual folder persists for me, even with 10/26 build (OSX). I can see the e-mail if I use the preview pane, but I normally don't use that. Opening the e-mail in its own window gives me a blank e-mail... but if I hit reply I see the original message wrapped for a reply.
mscott

Post by mscott »

Filed Bug #266139 for not being able to open messages from a VF in a stand alone message folder.
Thunderbirds are Go!
TriEnt

Post by TriEnt »

If you can do File->New->Saved Search you should also be able to right-click on any (normal!) folder and go New Saved Search (New Folder is already there). A vote for consistency..

Btw, OT - what is "copy folder location" used for?!
max.spicer

Post by max.spicer »

Hmm, not the most useful item on the context menu, it has to be said! Assumedly, you could post that link into Mozilla, if you were so inclined, but I can't for the life of me think why you'd want to!
TriEnt

Post by TriEnt »

max.spicer wrote:Hmm, not the most useful item on the context menu, it has to be said! Assumedly, you could post that link into Mozilla, if you were so inclined, but I can't for the life of me think why you'd want to!

In FF it doesn't do any trick: "mailbox is not a registered protocol".

I wouldn't have asked, if that wasn't item #2 in the list.. pretty important, or at least so it seemed. Maybe a "Get mail for this account" would have made more sense?
max.spicer

Post by max.spicer »

I deliberately said Mozilla, not Firefox, as Mozilla has a built in mail client so can handle imap://. Anyway, we're off topic here so enough. ;-)
mscott

Post by mscott »

TriEnt wrote:Btw, OT - what is "copy folder location" used for?!

Apparently it is used by enterprise folks that use public shared imap folders.
Thunderbirds are Go!
max.spicer

Post by max.spicer »

Is there a way of opening the resultant copied URL in Thunderbird or is this just a redundant hangover from Mozilla?
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

Using the 2004-10-27 winzip branch build now.

1) Getting a lot of crashes when messing with virtual folders. It always seems to crash if I try to rename a v folder (crashes when exiting from TB, not when renaming v folder itself). If you see any talkback reports from r.ubbish@..., that's me.

2) Sort order still is not preserved when clicking on another folder and then clicking back into the v folder. It always sorts by Location rather than whatever I have set (usually date).

3) I've noticed that when I mark a message displayed in the v folder as Junk, it does not get sent to the Junk folder like it does if I'm working in a regular folder. Is there any way this can be made to work? Thanks.
RickFriedman

Post by RickFriedman »

wintogreen wrote:Using the 2004-10-27 winzip branch build now.

2) Sort order still is not preserved when clicking on another folder and then clicking back into the v folder. It always sorts by Location rather than whatever I have set (usually date).

Strange, I've seen quite a few people saying they are having this problem. I am not. I have my virtual folders sorted by descending date. When I click on another folder and then back to the virtual folder, the folder displays and immediately switches back to the sort order I have specified for it.

Currently, I am using the 20041027 installer build for Windows. However, I have not had the problem since the virtual folders were instituted.

Rick
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060911 SUSE/1.5.0.7-1.5 Firefox/1.5.0.7
Kylotan

Post by Kylotan »

I definitely get the sorting problem on the 25 Oct build for Windows.