Saved Search Folder (aka Virtual Folders) Testing Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Ommarok

Post by Ommarok »

How does the new option to search offline work? When do the folders get updated? do we need to manually update them? It does not look like it as in my tests (using an IMAP server) the folder seems to update quickly when a new email arrives even if it the search is not "online".

I think that is is a bit unclear and the average user (including myself! :-) will not really know if that checkbox should be checked or unchecked.

Also it seems that the saved search folders remember the sort type now, which is cool.

Cheers!
mscott

Post by mscott »

when you load the saved search folder we do a local search instead of searching the server.

As long as the folders you are searching have recently been opened via IMAP (i.e. your inbox) then we'll have the latest most up to date information stored locally and the results will be accurate. If you are searching a folder you haven't opened in a while we won't know what new messages are in the folder so the offline searching will be less accurate.
Thunderbirds are Go!
Äkiidoll

Post by Äkiidoll »

How does the new feature work?
I have done searches and TB
found the email I was looking
for. I did play with the UI for
the virtual folders and it seems
like everything is in place to use
the feature, Im just not sure how
to use it. I made a new virtual
folder called "Search"

Can anyone tell me how to use the
new feature? Thanks for helping me! :)
I use POP3 email, not IMAP.
A prisoner of Christ Jesus, by His stripes I was healed
mscott

Post by mscott »

would be great if a volutneer wrote a little blurb about what they are used for and how to use them for the Knowledge Base. wintogreen? :)
Thunderbirds are Go!
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

mscott wrote:would be great if a volutneer wrote a little blurb about what they are used for and how to use them for the Knowledge Base. wintogreen? :)

Reporting for duty. I'll see if I can whip up something over the weekend. Don't I get a free Mozilla frisbee or something for doing this? O:)
Klint

Post by Klint »

Thanks a lot for this great feature.
It works well so far, except the following ennoying issue :

- last read message in a virutal forlder is not kept : When exiting the folder and displaying it again, the focus is set to the top of the list of messages, not to the last read message

Olivier
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

OK, here's the knowledge base article (complete with screenshots!):
http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?t ... ved_Search

Let me know if anything needs changing. Also, if anyone has a better place to host the screenshot images, please go ahead and grab them from ImageShack and point me to wherever you're hosting them, and I'll update the kb page for the new location. (I don't think I'm violating ImageShack's policies since I'm not hotlinking, but it would be nice to have the images elsewhere, and unfortunately the kb doesn't allow images to be uploaded.)
mscott

Post by mscott »

I can host images on mozilla.org that you can link to. That's probably the best way to do it. Is that ok with you? If so I'll just host the images you have now.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this.
Thunderbirds are Go!
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

That would be great. If you could just PM me the URLs for the images once you've got them hosted, I'll update the links in the kb page.
Kylotan

Post by Kylotan »

philcozz wrote:Bug for me on OSX... I have created a folder for "important" labeled messages and they sure do show up in the folder as I change the label, but when I try to open the message from the saved folder the message is empty. If I hit reply, the reply window opens with the message that should be there ready for the reply, but there is no sign of the message in the e-mail prior to hitting reply.

----
version 0.8 (20041021) (OSX)

I can replicate this on Win98 SE, running a Moox M2 branch build from today (25th). Selecting a message in a virtual folder shows 'undefined' in the title bar and opening the email gives an empty content window. The preview pane works fine however.

I also think that virtual folders need a new icon to distinguish them from other folders. I like to know which ones I can delete without losing messages.
marciak

Post by marciak »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=263989 is on file to address the issue of needing a new icon.

Kylotan wrote:
philcozz wrote:Bug for me on OSX... I have created a folder for "important" labeled messages and they sure do show up in the folder as I change the label, but when I try to open the message from the saved folder the message is empty. If I hit reply, the reply window opens with the message that should be there ready for the reply, but there is no sign of the message in the e-mail prior to hitting reply.

----

I can replicate this on Win98 SE, running a Moox M2 branch build from today (25th). Selecting a message in a virtual folder shows 'undefined' in the title bar and opening the email gives an empty content window. The preview pane works fine however.

I also think that virtual folders need a new icon to distinguish them from other folders. I like to know which ones I can delete without losing messages.
marciak

Post by marciak »

I wasn't able to reproduce this on the Mac using today's Thunderbird build (20041025 Firefox/1.0). Can you try again?

Kylotan wrote:

----

Kylotan

Post by Kylotan »

I created a new view, one to show all my 'work' messages, still empty mail windows.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Could you PLEASE change this to have the ability to search all avaliable accounts? It would be great if it could list in the same folder all the email I have recieved in the past hour or so, plus any RSS feeds which have been updated during that time.
Thomas Stache

Post by Thomas Stache »

Has anyone had luck with creating a search folder of all unread mail? I tried to search for "Status = NEW", but that doesn't work (at least for my ISP's IMAP account).