2003-07-01 Windows, Linux & OS X Builds Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Yeah, I'd like the attachment box to be visible at all times, there should be an option somewhere.
fabrini

Post by fabrini »

mattcoz wrote:Yeah, I'd like the attachment box to be visible at all times, there should be an option somewhere.

I as well. Without this bucket it doesn't seem possible to drag-and-drop attachments into the message. When you do they just show up as URLs to the local file.

Please make the attachment bucket an option, turn it back on, or fix it so when files are dragged into the compose window they attach.
morton2002

activating "adaptive filters"

Post by morton2002 »

Great build, thanks for the HTML-crippling feature!

Ease-of-use comments: You should avoid calling "junk mail" by too many names. Also the user shouldn't have to go to the second tab to activate the content in the first tab. I recommend that you have a button on the first tab that says "activate junk mail controls" followed by a button or link that says "What's this?". The latter link/button can display the verbose message, or take you to a help topic covering such (once documentation is included).

Tweaks for the "adaptive filtering", blacklists, etc. might all go better under an "advanced" tab.

By the way, this is my first post. I had problems registering because my account verification e-mail wound up in my Junk mail folder :)

Keep up the good work!!
mscott

Post by mscott »

Mac OS X builds are now available on the ftp site courtesty of don as always =)
Thunderbirds are Go!
galapogos

Re: Still no customizable Folder Panel return

Post by galapogos »

larrybpsu wrote:I'm getting rather frustrated with this ongoing omission. WHY take a working feature OUT? What was the footprint savings? What harm did it do?

Could some kind soul out there tell me, or point me in the direction to ADD that feature back into TB? If it's more difficult than a few chrome changes, I'll have to move back to Moz 1.4 or Netscape 7.1.

I was getting rather fond of TB, and was considering moving our 1400 users from Eudora this summer. Without this ONE feature....Eudora will have to stay.

Those numbers (total messages and folder size) are important for users to see folder sizes, and can decide when to compact folders on their own. Eudora does show a similar set of numbers for each mailbox, and clicking on that area will let them compact that folder.

Most of our student users have network space quotas....this let's them know quickly what's hogging up their space, and what they need to archive or toss to stay under their quota. This is especially important for seeing which folders that have large numbers of attachments.

Please bring this feature back! It has value and purpose.

I agree with this one, and I vote to bring this feature back too...
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

3) Daniel Glazman's editor changes for adding inline controls to tables. In HTML mail compose, insert a table and then select one of the cells in your table. Note the inline controls for resizing the table, adding, deleteing columns and rows!

What I'd rather see is an option to create all replies including quoted headers in pure plain text with absolutely no html whatsoever. Right now if I quote a msg, some of the quoted header lines get wrapped in tables that I can't get rid of.
eclectric

Just one thing that's kinda broken.

Post by eclectric »

Junk Mail Controls.

When I go to that prefs window, the FIRST thing I should see is the ability to turn it on. NOT a grayed-out screen that's unresponsive until I go to the second tab to turn it on. An alternative way is to turn it on by default (which I don't think we want to do).

Otherwise, it's a very confusing end-user experience.
rockstiff

Re: Just one thing that's kinda broken.

Post by rockstiff »

eclectric wrote:Junk Mail Controls.

When I go to that prefs window, the FIRST thing I should see is the ability to turn it on. NOT a grayed-out screen that's unresponsive until I go to the second tab to turn it on. An alternative way is to turn it on by default (which I don't think we want to do).

Agreed. The tab with the option to turn the feature on should be placed first.
Mozilla Firefox 0.9 20040817
Windows XP Professional SP1
PaulH

Re: Just one thing that's kinda broken.

Post by PaulH »

eclectric wrote:Junk Mail Controls.

I agree.. I hadn't really paid much attention to it until just now.. But now you've mentioned it, I can see the confusion.. I think that showing the adaptive filters page first would make it more of a logical flow, definitely much better than enabling junk control by default..

Perhaps a better way would be to re-arrange the dialog so that enabling the controls is on the same page and simply enables and disables the groupboxes below.. It would feel smoother and more logical.. Maybe Scott has other plans for the Adaptive Filters page though.. He does, after all, mention it as a "first cut".. I have to admit it feels better than having to turn filtering on for each account.

Just my thoughts,

Paul
Lost User 8002

Great Build!

Post by Lost User 8002 »

No version out for my birthday :(
Falc

I think I found a bug

Post by Falc »

I view my messages sorted by thread. Now, usually when I get a number of messages in a thread, I just leave the thread collapsed in the message list and click on it, previewing the first one and when I then delete that one, the next one shows up, both in the message list and in the preview window.

However, with this latest build, when I do this, the thread disappears from the message list. It is still selected, I still get the next message in the thread in the preview window, but the thread does not show itself anymore in the list. This behavior repeats itself if I delete more messages in the thread, making earlier messages also disappear from view (not from disk though, so I lost nothing).

From what I can tell, it probably happens because the programs expects to have to delete something from view when a message gets deleted, and doesn't realize that is not the case in these particular circumstances.

Can anybody confirm?
DIGITALgimpus

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

Not quite ripe for moe yet...

still waiting for it to be a bit more polished.

But I love what I see taking place in such a short time.

mscott: GREAT JOB!!!!!!! YOUR RULE!!!!

I can't wait to switch over. Hopefully now that Moz 1.4 is released, and work really gets started on Thunderbird/Firebird... things will speed up now.

If you were this fast so far....

I expect great things.

When I heard about thunderbird, I thought it would take months before it was remotely usable.

Now I'm just waiting until it's 100% perfect for my liking. (picky me.)
AlexIhrig

Post by AlexIhrig »

Thunderbird win32-build 01.07.2003 crashes:
- when editing an adressbook-card and clicking on the "OK"-button
- sometimes, when sending messages with attachement; after the first crash, Tb crashes by sending any message (with / without attachement). After re-installing a profile-backup, Tb works, but when sending the next message with attachement, it crashes again. I've tried to complete new install thunderbird > no difference; a new profile > no difference; no difference when trying the original en-US build

Alex
---------------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP-1
Firebird 0.6 de-DE
Thunderbird 01.07.2003 en-US / de-DE
Lyon

Post by Lyon »

PaulH wrote:
Lyon wrote:Small bug (if it is called a bug): When an image is removed, there is no alt or title tag shown instead. Personally think it would be a beter to sjow the alt/title instead of just a white image. (tested it using gemal's html-mail spy)

Is this with blocking remote images turned on or just with sanitized junk HTML mail on?

Sanitized junk mail shows the alt attribute if the image is blocked and there is an alt attribute. I just checked with block remote images on and that shows a white/transparent image. Tho showing a transparent image doesn't detract from the content/layout, showing the alt tags could make things look quite messy.. I wouldn't go so far as calling it a bug, I think it's actually a feature..

Paul

blocking remote images.

Well, oke, but this is what alt-tags are designed for. Another option would be to display a red-cross, indicating a picture that isnt loaded. Just a plain white picture, without any clue there even is a picture, sounds kinda wrong.
[ Gecko/20030926 Firebird/0.7+ (aebrahim) ] :: [ Mozilla Thunderbird 0.3 (20030924) ]
tve

Re: 2003-07-01 Windows, Linux & OS X Builds Now Availabl

Post by tve »

mscott wrote:5) More polish on the address book contact sidebar including: preserving the open state of the sidebar across sessions, a context menu for contacts which lets you delete, edit or add the address to the addressing widget.

Would it also be possible to make TB remember the width of the sidebar? :)
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>